Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Arcsquad12 posted:

I find the only distinction comes when somebody decides to label something as literature or genre. It has no bearing on actual quality.

Exactly. It's all pretense, like any other artistic set. Often coupled with frustration that their darlings are impenetrable to the average consumer, but bad Twilight fanfiction has made the author over $60m and a fat beardy goon who doesn't even write is still raking in press and $15m a year for rights to words he'll die of sheer corpulence (or a poo poo-dick relapse) before writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Ras Het posted:

I care insanely little about whether there is a literature market or whether we are producing literary content for literary customers, I just want people to read Voltaire and Céline and abhor modern society

You're right at home with the genre crowd in spirit, then! There is no one who abhors modern society more than those deeply steeped in escapism.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm not sure how to delineate the categories. "Genre" fiction is more than just sci-fi and fantasy, right? Something like, say, Nero Wolfe mysteries or romance novels would be "genre" fiction, yes? I assume that must be the case.

As for what constitutes "literary fiction", I'm not sure. I've seen the term used to refer to Cormac McCarthy, as an example, but I've read all his books and I've always just thought of them as westerns (for the most part) rather than "literary". Same with Joseph Conrad, who's another I've seen given the appellation; most of that's standard adventure fare of its time in my mind.

No doubt someone will be able to disabuse me of my misconceptions. Maybe those examples I've cited aren't "literary" or "real literature" and I'm simply confused. :shrug:

I'd love to hear someone actually attempt to defend The Road as not being paint-by-numbers dystopian science fiction.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Mel Mudkiper posted:

A fedora has gained sentience

I'm not the biggest fan of The Road but if you are going to wholly discount the role of craft in its popularity you are giving the book a tremendously pedestrian reading.

Like, simply looking at The Road and going "heh typical post-apocalyptic fiction" is to reduce all literature to simply the recounting of plot details. Craft matters.

Craft does matter, but then we are also in need of a better definition of 'genre' beyond pretentious snobbery still based in the era of pulps.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Tree Goat posted:

it's a normative category based on a combination of its content and its marketing, hth.

not all books with spaceships in them are genre fiction, but all books with spaceships on the cover are genre fiction.

So your contention is that it has nothing to do with quality, but rather is simply marketing choices? :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

Is it even that impenetrable, or simply unappealing? I don't keep up with literary fiction, but my stereotype of it is that it's mostly about family drama, upper-middle-class ennui, and/or people who work at a college.

I fully admit that I am bored to tears by writing for the sake of wordplay if it is not in service to a compelling narrative. The impression that the author has decided to self-consciously attempt to impress the audience by beating them liberally about the head with a thesaurus is not something I look for in literature.

• Locked thread