Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I'm not the biggest fan of The Road but if you are going to wholly discount the role of craft in its popularity you are giving the book a tremendously pedestrian reading.

Like, simply looking at The Road and going "heh typical post-apocalyptic fiction" is to reduce all literature to simply the recounting of plot details. Craft matters.

the road is "just" typical post-apocalyptic fiction compared to Blindness though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

true, I was just splitting hairs

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Liquid Communism posted:

So your contention is that it has nothing to do with quality, but rather is simply marketing choices? :allears:

:thunk:

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Liquid Communism posted:

I fully admit that I am bored to tears by writing for the sake of wordplay if it is not in service to a compelling narrative. The impression that the author has decided to self-consciously attempt to impress the audience by beating them liberally about the head with a thesaurus is not something I look for in literature.

I think everyone agrees that China Mieville writes pulpy genre fiction

• Locked thread