Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

That super expository style you run into in the Kaiji anime is a hallmark of Yuzo Sato, the director. He applied the exact same treatment to the anime adaptations of Akagi and One Outs. Personally I got really into it, but it's something that is enjoyable in part because it is excessive, and also because of strong VA performances in the narration. If the former doesn't hit for you, it doesn't hit for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

dogsicle posted:

That super expository style you run into in the Kaiji anime is a hallmark of Yuzo Sato, the director. He applied the exact same treatment to the anime adaptations of Akagi and One Outs. Personally I got really into it, but it's something that is enjoyable in part because it is excessive, and also because of strong VA performances in the narration. If the former doesn't hit for you, it doesn't hit for you.
Also, same VA for all 3 Main Characters!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think a big theme in Fukumoto's stuff is "people can do a bunch of super lovely/bad stuff, but they're still people and you should empathize with them."

Like, there's this one part in (IIRC) a Kaiji spin-off where a character betrays another character, and then Kaiji is like "But put yourself in this position! He was scared! People can do regrettable things under stress!"

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I really like Yumemite since she has such a great dream and this and the next gamble are some of my favorites. The return of fingernail girl is also very good.

I also appreciated Mary casually stealing Suzui's chocolate. She's such a bitch and I love her.

So it looks like the rest of the episodes will be: 9- Yumemite. 10 & 11- Glasses-kun and set up for ToD and then 12- Tower of Doors and set up for next season. Tower of Doors isn't very long and it may seem a bit of a step down for the season ending but it seems like the best natural end-point imo.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Nephthys posted:

I also appreciated Mary casually stealing Suzui's chocolate. She's such a bitch and I love her.
:same:

I'm pretty sure the president's little trip is to go ruin her life though.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Yumemite was hilariously awful too, really I think Suzui might just be the only major character in the show who isn't completely terrible, and I am not complaining about that at all.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
So who else is fully expecting the president to return right at the crux of whatever gamble this is to watch Yumemite crumble?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Anime_Otaku posted:

Yumemite was hilariously awful too, really I think Suzui might just be the only major character in the show who isn't completely terrible, and I am not complaining about that at all.

Suzui is so bizarrely normal compared to everyone else we've seen at the school. I assume this just means that everyone in the upper levels of gambling skill is eccentric or amoral in some regard, but the more amusing possibilities include that either Suzui has some terribleness inside of him or that everyone else is terrible and Suzui is in the completely wrong place.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Xelkelvos posted:

Suzui is so bizarrely normal compared to everyone else we've seen at the school. I assume this just means that everyone in the upper levels of gambling skill is eccentric or amoral in some regard, but the more amusing possibilities include that either Suzui has some terribleness inside of him or that everyone else is terrible and Suzui is in the completely wrong place.
Well, he does seem to enjoy being around Yumeko, so he can't be all there.

e: Yumemite is so delightfully out of her mind. Also weird who they decided to go for wrt her VA.

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Aug 28, 2017

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Wark Say posted:

Well, he does seem to enjoy being around Yumeko, so he can't be all there.

yumeko is very pretty and suzui has a superhuman capacity for denial

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
There is that, certainly. Or, as my least-favorite character as played by Neil Patrick Harris so eloquently explained:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I don't fully understand how she intends to go from being a Japanese idol to an Academy award-winning actress when those two markets are very much so seperated. I can understand if she stuck with her acting career and was fishing for the international market but I don't think Idols are anything more than a niche Fascination for a very small percentage of the western world.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Author might not be as aware of how fragmented the American entertainment industry is compared to Japan.

But mostly I think it's because she's a little unhinged, much like everyone else is in this story.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm thinking that she's a long-term planner. I mean, she's out of her loving mind, but we all know our good share of determined crazies.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Her plan is to become a viral phenomenon, enter the acting industry riding on the fame she's built up, and keep that momentum going until she makes it internationally.

I really like Yumemite. She may be one of those comically ambitious villains but her goal is refreshingly grounded and admirable.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I like that she has star eyes until she breaks character

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

blizzardvizard posted:

Her plan is to become a viral phenomenon, enter the acting industry riding on the fame she's built up, and keep that momentum going until she makes it internationally.

I really like Yumemite. She may be one of those comically ambitious villains but her goal is refreshingly grounded and admirable.
But realistically how far will riding an idol career into a Japanese acting career get her if she wants the international market anyways? Her goal is great don't get me wrong, but it's already hard for Asian actors to get into American Cinema, being popular over there won't do good, she should have moved to the States and started building a fanbase over there.

Although she could be going for Best Foreign Language Film.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Nephthys posted:

Yeah agreed, it was a great touch

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Brought To You By posted:

I don't fully understand how she intends to go from being a Japanese idol to an Academy award-winning actress when those two markets are very much so seperated. I can understand if she stuck with her acting career and was fishing for the international market but I don't think Idols are anything more than a niche Fascination for a very small percentage of the western world.

The terrible Pink Lady variety show in 1980 forever ruined any future possibility of idols switching a career in American show business.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

Ytlaya posted:

The terrible Pink Lady variety show in 1980 forever ruined any future possibility of idols switching a career in American show business.

Yeah, even huge mainstream Japanese acts like Utada Hikaru, who is American herself, struggled in America. She focused on music, but she went through troubles somewhat similar to Pink Lady. She had to change up her style for the US market and lost a lot of her charm, while Pink Lady couldn't sing any of their Japanese songs and in the TV show were apparently forced to have separate identities, when they were more known to perform as one single entity. It's kind of a wonder that Kyu Sakamoto got as big as he did in the US.

The only idol-related star I can think of that's done a Hollywood movie is Kazunari Ninomiya from Arashi, who was in Letters from Iwo Jima.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Brought To You By posted:

But realistically how far will riding an idol career into a Japanese acting career get her if she wants the international market anyways? Her goal is great don't get me wrong, but it's already hard for Asian actors to get into American Cinema, being popular over there won't do good, she should have moved to the States and started building a fanbase over there.

Although she could be going for Best Foreign Language Film.

That's what I'm thinking, although that doesn't get her in any "Hollywood" movies, it would get her on the red carpet. She could also be trying to go the Rinko Kikuchi route, adding herself to the (very small)list of popular Asian actresses. All she needs to do is get a well-reviewed movie in Japan, get an international/american director to think she'd be good in a serious piece and boom. She'd be an indie-starlet and then have to wriggle her way into bigger parts without (overtly) selling out.

That said, were she to be chosen as an actress for Hollywood, she'd drop her idol poo poo super quick and go back to a "normal" sort of style. Idol isn't her goal, it's just a stepping stone. She just wants butts in the seats for her eventual debut.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo!

DAT SUGITA "I refuse :smug:"

DAT HAYAMI "gently caress your refusal :heysexy:"

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
whenever sugita does his angry jerk voice now all i hear is the guy from aho girl

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Postal Parcel posted:

That's what I'm thinking, although that doesn't get her in any "Hollywood" movies, it would get her on the red carpet. She could also be trying to go the Rinko Kikuchi route, adding herself to the (very small)list of popular Asian actresses. All she needs to do is get a well-reviewed movie in Japan, get an international/american director to think she'd be good in a serious piece and boom. She'd be an indie-starlet and then have to wriggle her way into bigger parts without (overtly) selling out.

That said, were she to be chosen as an actress for Hollywood, she'd drop her idol poo poo super quick and go back to a "normal" sort of style. Idol isn't her goal, it's just a stepping stone. She just wants butts in the seats for her eventual debut.

Do you think anyone ever told Yumemite that you don't have to be an actor to win an Academy Award?

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
I can't remember the last time I saw an editor on the red carpet.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

It's explained a bit better in the manga where it's pointed out how incredibly difficult her dream actually is. Link. She's trying to become the top idol in japan, then the top actress in japan then hop over to hollywood and get big roles. With the academies influence it's possible, but she'd still need a ton of luck. Hence why it's basically all just a huge gamble. Skip to the start of the chapter to see that the catalyst of her dream was basically her mom saying its impossible for a japanese girl to do it too.

Anyway, this episode felt a bit rushed but I suppose the dance sequence was pretty fun and they needed to squeeze things out for that. Also good to see a gamble that truly did come down to luck in the end.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Sep 3, 2017

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

paragon1 posted:

Do you think anyone ever told Yumemite that you don't have to be an actor to win an Academy Award?
She literally wants to be one of the people in the "Who wore it better" sections of tabloids

Nephthys posted:

Anyway, this episode felt a bit rushed but I suppose the dance sequence was pretty fun and they needed to squeeze things out for that. Also good to see a gamble that truly did come down to luck in the end.
e: By the way, when did they find the time to choreograph and practice that song and dance number at the end?

Postal Parcel fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 4, 2017

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yumeko's a talented gal

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

OnimaruXLR posted:

whenever sugita does his angry jerk voice now all i hear is the guy from aho girl
+10 years of doing a myriad of voices in Gintama weren't for nothing, y'know. ;)

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

yumeko's a talented gal force of nature.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

blizzardvizard posted:

I find it kind of...petty. I dunno, when she went into her motive, I felt this "are you kidding me?" whiplash moment that was as comical as it was facepalm-y. I'm also deathly bored by the whole idol thing every anime is mandated to have, so the past two episodes have been a real drag for me compared to the previous ones. It's good it'll be so short, though, because I feel like if it was 24 episodes this is right around where I'd be going cold on it and slowly drift off. Luckily it'll end soon and the break between seasons will be a good rest for my Kakegurui enthusiasm.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Glasses guy has been way too composed. I look forward to him turning just as disgusting as the rest of the cast.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

AnoHito posted:

Glasses guy has been way too composed. I look forward to him turning just as disgusting as the rest of the cast.
I want a Dr. Ver-style freakout! Should be doable given who's voicing him. :allears:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

AnoHito posted:

I don't think the two are at all exclusive. A calm, sane slimeball who's always looking out for a way to advantage himself can be just as repulsive a person as a self-indulgent maniac.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Lol at the song contest. Kinda want to know how the Who is the Sweetest Girl one went

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

AnoHito posted:

I've been describing this stuff to all my friends as "anti-fanservice". It's such a great gimmick.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's fanservice, just for masochists

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

nega fanservice

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

dogsicle posted:

it's fanservice, just for masochists

I dunno, Ikishima got blue balled pretty hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

TenCentFang posted:

I dunno, Ikishima got blue balled pretty hard.

still within the boundaries of femdom, i'd say

• Locked thread