Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Ytlaya posted:

I've read some of the manga, and I actually don't mind the whole "situation allows for some losing and doesn't require the protagonist always win" aspect, since it makes things less predictable.

What I do mind is that the matches haven't been that interesting. So far the solution is usually just one person randomly noticing the other person was cheating, often in highly unrealistic ways (the one with switching the debt panels has been the only interesting one so far).

Same. I enjoy the show for what it is, but I honestly don't enjoy the gambling aspect that much because the gambles aren't good and don't have significant stakes to them (because the stakes are things that would matter to us, but don't really to Yumeko).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!
I was thinking about the gambles in this show (specifically in comparison to Akagi who I think is a much better comparison than Kaiji, because Kaiji is only really good at what he does when he's backed into a corner. Akagi is, like Yumeko, the crazy thrill-seeker.)

The first gamble in Kakegurui is RPS with cards. Unbeknownst to Yumeko, the number of each card is deliberately skewed so there are very few scissors, only Rock and Paper, therefore playing Paper is basically safe. Yumeko deduces that this is what's going on, because Mary plays paper every drat time. Yumeko, knowing that Mary plays paper every time, plays scissors. But that just amounts to "Yumeko realises what card would let her win. She gets that card, and wins."

So let's compare this to Akagi vs Yagi, Akagi's first real game of Mahjong.

Akagi knocks over one of his tiles by accident, which shows Yagi what Akagi is waiting for (a man tile), so man tiles are dangerous, dora tiles are 100% safe. Yagi plays a dora tile, which is what Akagi actually needed, because his wall wasn't set up in the normal way, but in a way that would mislead Yagi into cutting a Dora tile.

The difference between these two things is that Yumeko wins because her opponent follows the "optimal strategy", and Yumeko happens to luck out and draw the card she needs to break her opponent.

Akagi instead makes something that looks like an amateur move, baiting his opponent into making something that looks like a safe move, but isn't.

Had Akagi been transported into Kakegurui and had to play Mary, he would have made her think he had scissors and was going to play it, baiting her into playing rock (which he could then eat with paper). He wins by exploiting his opponents, which is a lot more interesting than winning because you drew the right card and had intuited your opponent's strategy.

• Locked thread