Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Wark Say posted:

I know this is gonna come off as boasting / showboating but it's really not: I used to work for Netflix (late 2013 into early 2015) and, even with some potential problems we had in 2014, AND even before the move to AWS was finalized (which actually happened AFTER they it went worldwide), the means to do Simulcast for select shows was already in place and could've been supported with very little problem, even with the whole 'moving servers' business going on. And yeah, Funimation, Daisuki, Amazon Prime, Crunchyroll and a few others had/have their problems (somebody mentioned in the Anime Chat thread that Crunchy takes a beating every time a new episode of Dragon Ball Super comes out), but they still cowboy the gently caress up and continue actually trying to bring the goods home.

Meanwhile, Netflix has lost licenses because of the inability to play nice and allow for select simulcasting / staggered updates to take place save for a few precious exceptions. But between Little Witch Academia and now this show, it's made it crystal-clear to me that Netflix seems really unwilling to change some small things that could change the company for the better. It wasn't the worst place to work, but at the same time, I'm kinda glad that I left because constantly being reminded of the whole "Why aren't you/we doing simulcast for these shows?" kinda got irksome really quick.

Netflix is in a great position right now because they have more money than God and can throw it around like a wrecking ball, and licensors, partners, former partners basically have to sit on their hands and take it because, in the end, Netflix's decisions are validated. You can ask anyone who works for a site that writes about anime, and they'll tell you all Netflix licensed anime do amazing traffic whenever they write an article about it. Their penetration is 100 times that of Crunchyroll's, and the Netflix Original label deceives people into thinking Netflix created that anime, so any anime they license instantly lifts it into high profile. So they're not going to change their ways, because there's no reason to.

Wark Say posted:

Funny that you mentioned Blame! and Castlevania. From what I heard (different department, since they were both treated 100% as Netflix originals) Castlevania and Blame were basically Netflix picking up the slack on things that had been worked on already to an extent and going "Can we get a couple of re-writes so that we can make this a series of episodes/movies instead of a standalone?" to the people involved (I know for a fact Ellis visited the Los Gatos HQ). Like, I'm glad that both projects got successfully off the ground and that both turned out well, but let's not mince words and pretend that there's a lot of involvement with a lot of what qualifies as a "Netflix Original".

Netflix was the primary producer for Blame! That's the first truly Netflix original anime that's come out. It got a short theatrical run in Japan at the same time it came out on streaming. Maybe that was to qualify it for awards or something. Or just a promotional thing. Also Castlevania is a US production with no Japanese studios involved at all, so I don't know how it keeps getting classified as anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr
2018, only on Netflix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTlHQiRNVl0

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr
Oh look. https://www.netflix.com/title/80175351

• Locked thread