Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Alhazred posted:

Stannis has the same flaw as Ned Stark, too concerned about the letter of the law instead of it's spirit.

Except if we're going to zero on the exact moment he hosed himself, I'd say it was when he decided to warn Cersei to spare her kids. Stannis would have gone straight to Robert with the evidence which may have turned out differently since Cersei wouldn't have had the heads up to have him offed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Could Bran warg into the zombie dragon?

Shoulda done that already, could have prevented the wall coming down and killed the night's king right there.

loving Bran!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Ak Gara posted:

I feel like everyone is ignoring the fact one of Bran's powers is the ability to make someone literally retarded* just by thinking about them really hard.

Seems like a very helpful ability if he thinks about the right people.

*In the medical sense
Poor Bran, thought of Starks and made them retarded.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Poor Bran, thought of Starks and made them retarded.

Yeah, it's the perfect explanation for everything we've seen on the show. He just accidentally spoke to everyone in his family while watching some stuff that happened right before the first episode.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
This computer game came up with a better story than the show writers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaSpLe9fdbw&t=1m30s

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Zaphod42 posted:

This computer game came up with a better story than the show writers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaSpLe9fdbw&t=1m30s

- NK and Daenerys only show up after like 3 hours of gameplay when the excitement has already died
- Dorne's army fucks around in Dorne doing nothing

Checks out. 100% faithful to both source materials.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I still can't believe GRRM wrote an outline where Dany goes to Westeros in the same book she's introduced in.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

precision posted:

Michael Swanwick and Robin Hobb, though, managed to do it. But they're better writers than GRRM by an order of magnitude.

This is from a while back but I finished robin hobb's the assassin's apprentice and I gotta say... did I read the wrong book or something because I was thoroughly unimpressed

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

U-DO Burger posted:

idk but knowing Tywin he probably had workers continuing to mine jack poo poo for years because he had to keep up appearances.

All the ore processing workers would be insane from mercury fumes in this sort of time period so it wouldn't matter.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

whalestory posted:

This is from a while back but I finished robin hobb's the assassin's apprentice and I gotta say... did I read the wrong book or something because I was thoroughly unimpressed

Maybe it's not your thing? It's way more traditional fantasy. I will say George and Hobb kind of talk so who stole the idea from who the main family from are literally the Baratheons in looks and sigil

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

They've delayed the show from 2019 to 2020!!

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
If that's true, I want to be done with the show because that's ridiculous, but who am I kidding I'll be tuning in if I'm not dead.

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012

SirKibbles posted:

Maybe it's not your thing? It's way more traditional fantasy. I will say George and Hobb kind of talk so who stole the idea from who the main family from are literally the Baratheons in looks and sigil

Isn't assassin aprentice where the protagonist (spoilers just to be safe)has a wolf and is also a warg? And then he dies, skinchange into his wolf and later comes back as a wilder/scarier version of himself?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
It will air right after the last season of deadwood.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Personal_Nirvana posted:

Isn't assassin aprentice where the protagonist [/spoiler]

Yep that's the one

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

So at this point, how many houses have just been utterly destroyed?

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Utterly destroyed somehow though most of them feel like they shouldn't be: Frey, Tyrell, Bolton (unless you count Sansa), Martell, Baratheon, Tully

All the old folks died and now it's just kids: Umber, Karstark, Arryn

Stark, Lannister, Targaryen, and Greyjoy sitting... relatively pretty but all the old dudes are dead all around

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne

whalestory posted:

Utterly destroyed somehow though most of them feel like they shouldn't be: Frey, Tyrell, Bolton (unless you count Sansa), Martell, Baratheon, Tully

All the old folks died and now it's just kids: Umber, Karstark, Arryn

Stark, Lannister, Targaryen, and Greyjoy sitting... relatively pretty but all the old dudes are dead all around

I've got completely lost with the Tullys, but isn't Cats uncle and brother still alive at this point? I don't remember them dying.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Noonsaliwah posted:

I've got completely lost with the Tullys, but isn't Cats uncle and brother still alive at this point? I don't remember them dying.

Blackfish died in his stupid siege last season. Edmure is presumably still in the Frey's fuckdungeon, rotting because everyone's dead now?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
The eradication of Frey makes sense to me just because of how centralized Walder kept it plus--and admittedly I'm getting my book and show lore pretty mixed up at this point, there's at least a couple of people making it a point to hunt down Freys.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

ALFbrot posted:

Blackfish died in his stupid siege last season. Edmure is presumably still in the Frey's fuckdungeon, rotting because everyone's dead now?

Surely his wife will let him out so she can be serviced and produce a new heir.

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

fruit on the bottom posted:

The eradication of Frey makes sense to me just because of how centralized Walder kept it plus--and admittedly I'm getting my book and show lore pretty mixed up at this point, there's at least a couple of people making it a point to hunt down Freys.

Also, the narrative irony of the family ascribing to the "too big to fail" theory being the one that's actually failed.

Though of course technically Edmure Tully's baby-to-be would be the last Frey. And the last Tully also, eventually, for that matter.

ALFbrot posted:

As much hay as I made out of "LOL Arya forgot to spring her uncle from the dungeon twice he's going to starve to death now", I realize the show wasn't clear on whether Edmure went after the siege. He starts as a Frey prisoner but Jaime does commandeer him to negotiate the surrender and I don't think they established whether Jaime gave him back or not. In the books he definitely doesn't; Jaime's end of the bargain is keeping Edmure in Lannister custody [in perpetuity] and sending him to live out a life sentence at Casterly Rock (because the Freys obviously intend to murder him as soon as his wife births a baby boy/joint Frey-Tully heir). Not that it would change Edmure's situation any show-side; Grey Worm wouldn't have had time or inclination to empty out the Casterly Rock dungeons.

Twins or Rock, Arya or Grey Worm, Edmure is a man forgotten by show and viewer alike, starving off camera in an un-manned dungeon and nobody but us book reading sperglords still gives a gently caress. :)

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

It's so weird that the Freys all got loving murdered and no one ever mentions them again. That's the kind of thing the Stark girls could have had a good laugh over

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

I think you're getting the lore mixed up. The only hunting that gets done is Arya and the hound killing a few dudes following the red wedding. The brotherhood of banners just kind of fucks around then at some point the Hound meets Beric and Thoros just as they decide to go by themselves to the wall.

The show definitely has made every single house centralized around a few significant named characters. once those characters die, the rest of the lesser houses, armies, etc. all disappear from the story entirely.

Frey armies disappear and all strategic significance of holding the Twins disappears. And like mister perky says, edmure is poo poo out of luck.

The bolton's army... gets wiped out by Jon's wildlings and northmen? Like completely wiped out and massacred? I guess they were just following Ramsay's example of somehow killing all of Stannis's men too. Doesn't he know that you can just kill whatever named character leads the army in order to take it? Like how Ramsay killed Roose? oh well.

The Tyrell dudes were hanging around King's landing at some point but then after the sept blows up they just kinda go somewhere. Back to Olenna? Or do they just team up with the Lannisters now? Did they just all die when Jaime waltzes into Highgarden?

Oberyn dies, Doran dies, the sand snakes die, and Ellaria Sand dies. The Dornish army never hooks up with the Greyjoys to attack King's landing and so waste away in Dorne like some abandoned car. They don't seem inclined to help the unsullied or the dothraki. So they either disappear or do nothing, same thing.

I'm not so sure what happens to the Baratheon armies. I guess Robert's army never existed in the first place or they... were absorbed into the Lannister army when Robert married Cersei. Renly's army seems like they maybe just merged with the Tyrells. Stannis's army just gets completely killed off I guess or something.

The Tullies were helping Robb out then lost a significant amount of people in the Red Wedding and the presumed aftermath. But then blackfish dies and edmure disappears so I guess the Tullies do too.

There's just massive amounts of people and armies and poo poo that no longer matter to the story even though huge plot points (Robb's alliance with the Freys, Tyrell alliance with Lannisters, etc.) hinged around forming allegiances, holding certain lands, feeding armies, bankrolling armies , etc. I guess they did have take a bunch of food from the Tyrell's (take... food?) in season 7 so that was a reason to have the Lannister army out in the field. But after the loot train attack, they suffered some amount of losses but I have no idea really how much.

Daenerys has the Unsullied and Dothraki, Jon has the wildlings and presumably some northmen. Anyone who isnt a named character disappears into the history books because the tv show is wrapping up and they want to focus on other things.

And I guess no one really gives a gently caress because it is pretty cool seeing the named characters finally meeting up and dragons and zombies finally doing things that were foretold since episode 1. And I don't think the show is trying to ignore the politics either seeing as how they spent a lot of time trying to put Jon and Dany's forces together and then to get Cersei to help with the white walkers. But it just kinda sucks that some things fall by the wayside I guess.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

It wouldn't have hurt to have a scene of Arya explaining to Sansa how she killed the Freys and them both having a laugh about it over dinner or something

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

U-DO Burger posted:

It wouldn't have hurt to have a scene of Arya explaining to Sansa how she killed the Freys and them both having a laugh about it over dinner or something

Nah we could've done that but instead we're going to waste it on a bullshit fake out, that we changed at the last minute because someone on the writing team found either their spine or their brain.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Also can someone clear up at what point did Sansa and Arya formed the plan to own littlefinger. Like how much of it was legitimate conflict before they talked to Bran?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

whalestory posted:

Also can someone clear up at what point did Sansa and Arya formed the plan to own littlefinger. Like how much of it was legitimate conflict before they talked to Bran?

All of it :negative:

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Dang... that stinks!

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Nah. Because they didn't and won't show Sansa going to Bran to figure out that *gasp* Littlefinger is untrustworthy, the viewer can decide the whole thing was a ploy which is much more narratively satisfying.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

VanSandman posted:

Nah. Because they didn't and won't show Sansa going to Bran to figure out that *gasp* Littlefinger is untrustworthy, the viewer can decide the whole thing was a ploy which is much more narratively satisfying.

There is nothing that could've made that plot satisfying, short of Littlefinger actually winning.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

There is nothing that could've made that plot satisfying, short of Littlefinger actually winning.

After the men of the Vale disperse, Sansa walks up to examine the corpse. The skin above the gash in his neck is peeling off, like a mask. She gasps in horror as his face comes off to reveal that he was actually Arya all along. Her eyes dart to Arya, who peels off her own face to reveal she is actually Littlefinger.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Someone said it earlier: Just don't show Littlefinger's involvement to the audience. Let people wonder if he's up to something but don't have him actually smirk into the camera like a cartoon villain while an episode ends. Maybe Bran announces during the trial that Littlefinger had left like a hundred copies of that same note hidden in various wall cracks / shoes / cabinets throughout his room.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

U-DO Burger posted:

After the men of the Vale disperse, Sansa walks up to examine the corpse. The skin above the gash in his neck is peeling off, like a mask. She gasps in horror as his face comes off to reveal that he was actually Arya all along. Her eyes dart to Arya, who peels off her own face to reveal she is actually Littlefinger.

Littlefinger makes his escape into the Stark Crypts. Then Sansa peels off her face to reveal Arya which shocks Littlefinger and creates an opening for the statue of Ned Stark to slit his throat and take off its face to reveal Sansa.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Well I dunno about all that, they already made Mission Impossible 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuJFfn1snZI

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Littlefinger makes his escape into the Stark Crypts. Then Sansa peels off her face to reveal Arya which shocks Littlefinger and creates an opening for the statue of Ned Stark to slit his throat and take off its face to reveal Sansa.

Littlefinger sputters out "Ned!?" in shock as the statue of Ned cuts his throat. He collapses, muttering the man's name over and over as best he could. "Ned... Ned..... Ned...."

"Hey, NED!"

Ned snapped to attention. He found himself in the crypts standing with his friend King Robert by the grave of his sister Lyanna.

"Ned, are you alri-"

"Robert, I'm refusing your request for me to serve as your Hand."

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

This is getting ridiculous.

quote:

There is a fifth potential Game of Thrones prequel series in the works, and this one hails from GoT co-executive producer Bryan Cogman, Deadline has confirmed. The project is currently in early development. HBO noted earlier that there is no set timetable for the possible series, and all will be evaluated when scripts are completed. The fifth possible prequel was mentioned cryptically by George R.R. Martin in a blog post a few months ago.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Good show ideas:

- Doom of Valyria
- Show focusing on earlier Wall history, so we can finally get some loving ice spiders
- Dorne, to wash the taste out of our mouths and maybe do something with the Dorne/Targaryen wars
- Adventures of [fan favorite character who presumably survives season 8] or Adventures of Young [Character that didn't]
- One hour a week of Charles Dance non-stop telling other characters that they're dumbasses and will never amount to anything

Bad show ideas:

- Robert's Rebellion (we know what happens and it's written around being setup)
- Smallfolk Livin' a Life, nobody really cares about civies

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Dunk and Egg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Those things are great ideas, but suffer from the same thing that's made this last few seasons loving shite less good than the earlier ones: no source material. A Song of Ice and Fire does already have a spin off book series on the other hand, Dunk and Egg.

GRRM might be a fat lazy prick, but when he can actually be arsed he constructs a story hell of a lot loving better than D&D left to their own devices.

e: ^^^heh, while I was typing. And also debating whether calling GRRM a fat lazy prick was okay.^^^

• Locked thread