Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

DLC Inc posted:

Back in college QOTSA were my bar-none favorite loving band. I got started with Era Vulgaris and I remember going to the show where they played all of the first album in its entirety, all the way up to the Like Clockwork/Villains shows and the MSG show. Like Clockwork I still think is just a masterpiece. But yeah, recent years with Josh kicking a camerawoman/getting so hosed on drugs he started cutting himself/the ugly divorce and child custody poo poo I'm extremely icked out on him--sucks even more given Eagles of Death Metal were another favorite I saw live, and then Jesse Hughes went broken-brained to poo poo.

I'll probably give it a listen--but there's just zero chance I'll ever see them live again (something I probably wasn't gonna do anyway; the MSG show was very much a retread of the previous 2 shows without many surprises.)

Same here. Like Clockwork was phenomenal, and I saw them live that year on a big festival stage and that was honestly one of the best shows I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This is the unofficial Deftones thread, right? Chino's side project Crosses announced their first new album in several years (featuring both El-P and Robert Smith :eyepop: ) out in October and here's the first single from it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiisOTm05W0

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Rageaholic posted:

This is the unofficial Deftones thread, right? Chino's side project Crosses announced their first new album in several years (featuring both El-P and Robert Smith :eyepop: ) out in October and here's the first single from it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiisOTm05W0

While very cool I still want some more Team Sleep. It's only been....what....ten plus years?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Madkal posted:

While very cool I still want some more Team Sleep. It's only been....what....ten plus years?
You and me both :negative: That debut album of theirs, which still absolutely slaps, is 18 years old this year. They put out a live album in 2015 but nothing since then.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

owl_pellet posted:

Deftones is an interesting album for me because, at the time, I didn't like it because it wasn't White Pony 2. Looking back, they (rightly) did not do that and made something very different. It has since become one of my favorite albums of theirs.

Saturday Night Wrist is also one of my favorites but I get the impression that Deftones fans in general don't like it very much.

Check out Koi No Yokan, which in my opinion was the last truly stellar album they've done.

I personally loved 'Gore'.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Not sure where to post it.....but the new Teenage Wrist album is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Plr35knKypc

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

RestingB1tchFace posted:

I personally loved 'Gore'.

Gore was bleh but Ohms loving rules

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Not sure where to post it.....but the new Teenage Wrist album is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Plr35knKypc

They've been mentioned in the Shoegaze thread before (it's how I first heard of them), but this thread is probably a better fit.

FWIW, I liked them better when Kamtin was frontman. I didn't care much for the previous album. I'll give this one a listen at some point but I was pretty "meh" on the lead single they put out, so it's unlikely to get a purchase from me.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I love Saturday Night Wrist but the band kind of hate that album. Gore had some slappers but found the album a bit uneven.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Ofecks posted:

FWIW, I liked them better when Kamtin was frontman. I didn't care much for the previous album. I'll give this one a listen at some point but I was pretty "meh" on the lead single they put out, so it's unlikely to get a purchase from me.

so you love the new heavenward album, right?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Madkal posted:

I love Saturday Night Wrist but the band kind of hate that album. Gore had some slappers but found the album a bit uneven.

I remember hearing that there was a tonne of band drama recording that one, fuelled in part by Chino procrastinating on actually turning up and writing his parts. There was an interview with Chi Cheng where he goes "on *Hole in the Earth* when he turns up and sings "I hate all my friends" he means us. I was like "hell he could be singing 'I hate Chi Cheng' for all I care, as long as he's singing'"

The Serj Tankian guest spot reputedly came about from the label giving demos to Serj to work on to try and inspire/shame chino into working on his vox.

Every interview or BTS I've ever read about the (surviving) Deftones members makes them sound like massive pricks tbh. Journalists in particular seem to have this habit of subtly slipping in a detail that suggests they were awful to sit down with

e.g: one that goes off script to mention them cheating on their girlfriends on tour. Another that goes out of its way to mention that it was a complete pain to get them to pose for a magazine photo in front of an antenna because of Stef being a conspiracy theorist about radio waves melting his brain and adding "saying that despite the copious amount of weed he was smoking". Every interview that mentions that Stef was clearly baked out of his mind and monosyllabic throughout. Stef constantly talking poo poo about Chinos guitar playing ability and guitar tone. Segio Vega apparently asking to be made a full member and being dumped without ceremony. Stef being an anti vaxxer and Chino, to his credit saying "yeah love the guy but he's a compete moron".

massive spider fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Aug 15, 2023

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

I completely overlooked Velvet Revolver at the time.....but I got around to listening to 'Contraband' today and it's got a number of songs outside of the radio hits that bang.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I really enjoy that whole album. Their other one Libertad? is also mostly solid too.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Nu-metal friends, what's the general consensus on Korn - Take a Look in the Mirror (2003)?

I recall Untouchables releasing at a time when I was starting to pick up interests in other things, which tracks because by 2003 I was clearly completely out of the loop with anything Korn were doing. I've never even heard of this album before, much less listened to it (or anything else they've done since).

I stumbled into it by complete accident this week and have found it hard to put it down. It's got such a rumbling consistency to it that I don't recall any of their other albums having even back in the day when I was well into self titled/LIP/FTL/Issues. It's very rare that I listen to an album start to finish these days without picking out any obvious duds, especially at first.

Am I tasteless chud or does this album actually slap? And should I continue with all the other poo poo they've done since 2002?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Bumhead posted:

Nu-metal friends, what's the general consensus on Korn - Take a Look in the Mirror (2003)?

I recall Untouchables releasing at a time when I was starting to pick up interests in other things, which tracks because by 2003 I was clearly completely out of the loop with anything Korn were doing. I've never even heard of this album before, much less listened to it (or anything else they've done since).

I stumbled into it by complete accident this week and have found it hard to put it down. It's got such a rumbling consistency to it that I don't recall any of their other albums having even back in the day when I was well into self titled/LIP/FTL/Issues. It's very rare that I listen to an album start to finish these days without picking out any obvious duds, especially at first.

Am I tasteless chud or does this album actually slap? And should I continue with all the other poo poo they've done since 2002?

I haven't listened to it in a while. It's probably the first one I ever bought with my own money and was really excited about during the lead-up, so I definitely had a predisposition to like it, though I think some of that excitement faded with time. I should listen to it again, it's probably still pretty good. Just going off memory, here are my thoughts:

- definitely could've been mixed better, the cymbals and bass string sounds are a bit grating (this was a common complaint at the time, though a bit overblown IMO)
- not exactly their best songwriting, however it did have way better bridges than Issues or Untouchables (or anything since) -- they didn't just fiddle around for a few seconds and then go back to the chorus
- Nas feature is a bit of a letdown
- Y'all Want A Single is fun even though it's kind of a boring topic of yelling at the industry and trying to be edgy for no reason
- as a whole, the album sort of overcompensates for Untouchables being "overproduced" but it's not bad, just a little unbalanced
- kind of feels like a sequel to Life Is Peachy

Also, fun fact: back in those days I was still a bit Pollyanna so I bought clean versions of albums when possible. However, on this one they made a pretty big mistake on the final track "When Will This End" and the vocal track started on a different beat. But it actually sounded pretty good and to this day I'm not sure which one I prefer. (Funny enough, there's only a single "poo poo" edited out near the end of that one and the rest could've stayed as-is.)

EDIT: Oh, as for the rest of what they've done since then, here are more quick takes:

- See You On The Other Side - First album without Head, pretty overproduced due to the inclusion of some more mainstream producers, but still some great tracks. Bonus tracks are just as good as the main album and they definitely could've reworked it a bit to include those and leave other out IMO
- [untitled] - I stanned this one when it came out, but I dunno if it holds up. Has 3 different drummers to replace David. Probably can pick out a few strong tracks and ditch the rest.
- Korn III - Ross Robinson production is excellent and probably the best the band has ever sounded sonically. Unfortunately the songwriting isn't really there to back it up. Still fun to listen to though.
- The Path of Totality - The dubstep one. I admire the attempt. It's undeniably pretty unique and I mean, it works, even if it's not what anyone really wanted. "Get Up", "Narcissistic Cannibal" and "Let's Go" still go super hard.
- The Paradigm Shift - Head is back but they somehow sound like less of a band than ever. Mostly skippable.
- The Serenity of Suffering - Some people liked it, I bounced off it. Just seemed like more of the same.
- The Nothing - Their best album since Untouchables.
- Requiem - Almost more like a coda to The Nothing than a fully realized separate album, but quality level is about the same.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Apr 3, 2024

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Obu-R8kuz3w

Another "new" Linkin Park song that apparently dates back to 2006, once again showcasing how powerful Chester's screams were.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Rageaholic posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Obu-R8kuz3w

Another "new" Linkin Park song that apparently dates back to 2006, once again showcasing how powerful Chester's screams were.

Well, this one has been around for a while, I think I even heard it on the radio once. Not familiar enough to know how different this recording sounds if at all.

Also, even though the last one they released (Friendly Fire) was a One More Light reject and I really did not like the direction they went on that album, drat if I haven't had that chorus stuck in my head on and off for weeks. Even at their worst they were incredible at writing melodies.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Sir Lemming posted:

Well, this one has been around for a while, I think I even heard it on the radio once. Not familiar enough to know how different this recording sounds if at all.

Also, even though the last one they released (Friendly Fire) was a One More Light reject and I really did not like the direction they went on that album, drat if I haven't had that chorus stuck in my head on and off for weeks. Even at their worst they were incredible at writing melodies.
:yeah:

I listened to the Papercuts album this morning, and while there are a couple songs on there from the later era of LP that I don't like, Friendly Fire is an anthem.

Also, Deftones are gonna be on the Coachella livestream today!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6A3iDbujrI

6:45PM PDT

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Pretty cool Deftones set, but it was too short imo. I guess that's a festival thing.

Chino looks super svelte now!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

priznat posted:

Pretty cool Deftones set, but it was too short imo. I guess that's a festival thing.

Chino looks super svelte now!
Apparently that was the first time they've played Combat since 2011 and only the second time they've ever played it :eyepop:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Rageaholic posted:

Apparently that was the first time they've played Combat since 2011 and only the second time they've ever played it :eyepop:

Wow that's surprising! That seems like it would be a great one for a live set. I haven't seen many of their live performances.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg6BiWkdf5I

Deftones have a new album recorded that they're just waiting on Chino to record vocals for :bisonyes:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Awesome. I badly want another Palms album too, their drop of that recent 2 track Opening Titles/End Credits was really cool.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTNtxNgB-3U

It's so goddamn cool seeing Chester go from screaming to singing instantaneously like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZQrzKl1uYM

New grunge-ish trio from Denmark — lead singer, who's the oldest, is only 17 years old 🤯