Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Rageaholic posted:

Yooooooooooooooooo :stare:

Really wish I could go to this

That is one hell of a festival lineup. They even got a real shoegaze band (Narrow Head). I haven't thought about Kittie or Coal Chamber in probably 25 years. I know Stabbing Westward has a new album out, it's on my bandcamp wishlist. The Birthday Massacre rules (they're kinda like goth-industrial synth pop?). Wonder what Filter has been up to lately?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

Tickets for that Sick New World go on sale today, I'd expect it to sell out quick.

E: And it sold out

Caseman fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Nov 11, 2022

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NK_JOkuSVY

New (old) Linkin Park track with Chester on vocals from the upcoming Meteora 20th anniversary edition.

gently caress, man, I really miss Chester :smith:

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

God, that takes me back. Say what you will about Linkin Park but A Thousand Suns was a loving masterpiece and I’ll die on that hill.

Can’t believe Meteora is 20. Getting old sucks.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Meteora still kicks rear end 20 years later. It's so loving weird hearing a new song with Chester's voice since he's been gone, even if the song was made 20 years ago.

They're releasing a 20th anniversary set and it's just way too rich for my blood. I want it, but drat.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Harminoff posted:

Hopefully this is the right thread, but the old lead singer of CKY's new band 96 Bitter Beings new album is finally out. If you enjoy old CKY you should enjoy this. Production is complete poo poo, however :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgEpdGtUw9g&list=OLAK5uy_ngFQ3KBZJMk1plZ5ruRaugAb8YZCGu0sw

Dig this. CKY always had really cool guitar tones to go along with some great riffs.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

I finally sat down and listened to a few iconic albums of the 90s (and one from 2003) that I'd previously not heard all the way through:

(What's the Story) Morning Glory?
Frogstomp
Tiny Music... Songs From the Vatican City Gift Shop
Deftones

The results:
I love the Oasis record (I already loved the singles from it) and it's going on my wishlist to acquire for my offline digital library. I've also listened to their critically-acclaimed debut, but it didn't grab me. Live Forever is a cool song, though.

Deftones ST was a "maybe", there's some cool stuff in there but it's not as accessibly-structured as AtF or White Pony. I should listen to Saturday Night Wrist again, I already have that one.

I liked what Silverchair were doing, but they reeeally need a 2nd guitar, or at least some more loops/effects because the sound was rather dinky and shallow. I think I did hear a few overdubs in places but they were few and far between. More importantly, most of the songs just didn't catch my ear. So that was a dud.

And STP... I had high expectations for this one but I think it was overall way too experimental for my tastes. Trippin on a Hole in a Paper Heart is a cool song, I like the way the chorus sounds on Big Bang Baby ("love is for freeeeee"), Adhesive was a very cool song ("is that a trumpet?!?"), And so I Know is downright sexy. Sorry STP, there's some good stuff on here, I love your #1, 2, and 4 but I think I'm going to skip this one.

I also need to check out Soundgarden at some point. I've never been a fan of Cornell's voice from what I heard on the radio or saw on MTV, so I've never bought any of their albums. I like the other Big 3 grunge bands in varying magnitude, so I figure it's time to give them a fair shake.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Ofecks posted:

Deftones ST was a "maybe", there's some cool stuff in there but it's not as accessibly-structured as AtF or White Pony. I should listen to Saturday Night Wrist again, I already have that one.

Deftones is an interesting album for me because, at the time, I didn't like it because it wasn't White Pony 2. Looking back, they (rightly) did not do that and made something very different. It has since become one of my favorite albums of theirs.

Saturday Night Wrist is also one of my favorites but I get the impression that Deftones fans in general don't like it very much.

Check out Koi No Yokan, which in my opinion was the last truly stellar album they've done.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

owl_pellet posted:

Deftones is an interesting album for me because, at the time, I didn't like it because it wasn't White Pony 2. Looking back, they (rightly) did not do that and made something very different. It has since become one of my favorite albums of theirs.

Saturday Night Wrist is also one of my favorites but I get the impression that Deftones fans in general don't like it very much.

Check out Koi No Yokan, which in my opinion was the last truly stellar album they've done.

The only track I remember disliking from SNW is Pink Cellphone. But only because I'm very much against genital mutilation of all kinds and the insane cultural beliefs that drive those practices, which are clearly on display in that song. Looks like Diamond Eyes comes after ST, that's what I'll be investigating next, whenever I get around to it. Your praise for Yokan has been noted.

At first I got excited when I saw your avatar, I thought Chino himself had replied.

I will also say that I've never been a fan of Deftones' drumming, specifically the snare hits. There's no depth to them at all. Whatever recording process they use for it just doesn't gel with me.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Ofecks posted:

I've never been a fan of Cornell's voice from what I heard on the radio or saw on MTV, so I've never bought any of their albums.

That’s hosed up but I’m glad you are taking steps to rectify this situation. Superunknown and Badmotorfinger are among the best albums of all time.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Ofecks posted:

And STP... I had high expectations for this one but I think it was overall way too experimental for my tastes. Trippin on a Hole in a Paper Heart is a cool song, I like the way the chorus sounds on Big Bang Baby ("love is for freeeeee"), Adhesive was a very cool song ("is that a trumpet?!?"), And so I Know is downright sexy. Sorry STP, there's some good stuff on here, I love your #1, 2, and 4 but I think I'm going to skip this one.

What do you think of Pops love suicide and lady picture show?

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

banned from Starbucks posted:

What do you think of Pops love suicide

I don't remember how it goes so that sums it up, I guess!

banned from Starbucks posted:

and lady picture show?

A catchy song, but there isn't much depth to it. Compare to another ballad of theirs, Sour Girl from No. 4, which has a much thicker sound (lots of reverb) and uses dreamier chords.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

Ofecks posted:

Looks like Diamond Eyes comes after ST, that's what I'll be investigating next, whenever I get around to it.

While White Pony is generally considered their masterpiece, Diamond Eyes is really loving good and rotates with Around the Fur for 2nd and 3rd place for me.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Dig this. CKY always had really cool guitar tones to go along with some great riffs.

I was always a bit bummed when CKY came back and said their new stuff would be closer to Infiltrate. Destroy. Rebuild., not because I didn't like that album (loved it back it in the day), but because IIRC they implied they were unhappy with An Answer Can Be Found and Carver City

Both those albums have some loving awesome tracks, but maybe there was just some bullshit happening behind the scenes

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Good soup! posted:

I was always a bit bummed when CKY came back and said their new stuff would be closer to Infiltrate. Destroy. Rebuild., not because I didn't like that album (loved it back it in the day), but because IIRC they implied they were unhappy with An Answer Can Be Found and Carver City

Both those albums have some loving awesome tracks, but maybe there was just some bullshit happening behind the scenes

Those records just didn't translate to live that well, or at least they didn't think so as they only ever played the first two records even after the other ones were released.

But yeah, they were kinda huge dicks to every other band, and then to each other, Deron (guy in the new band) had a huge meltdown on stage and was throwing guitars at the other two.

They broke up so long ago and still bring it up like it was yesterday. Complete children.

Cky without the lead singer is pretty shifty though. This new project is much butter, but sounds like poo poo. That's because the other guitarist of cky did all the mixing.

So now there are two bands playing the same songs. One is mixed good but instruments aren't played great, and vocals not great, and the other band has good instruments, but because of bad mixing has muffled instruments and vocals.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mike Shinoda's got a new song on the soundtrack for Scream 6:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGyH1JF1Nu4

It's heartwarming that he's still making music after all these years :love:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Rageaholic posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NK_JOkuSVY

New (old) Linkin Park track with Chester on vocals from the upcoming Meteora 20th anniversary edition.

gently caress, man, I really miss Chester :smith:
And another one from Meteora's 20th anniversary edition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKBCVZqqooY

No surprise: It absolutely kicks rear end

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

owl_pellet posted:

I found SNW to be one of their most accessible and almost pop friendly album and I really enjoyed it. That being said, even the band hates that album (well maybe not hates but strongly dislikes).

https://www.wearethepit.com/2022/11/deftones-regret-making-saturday-night-wrist/

It's one of those things where you really like something and then the person who created it says "actually it sucks". I still think it has solid songs and more stuff that I like than dislike.

As for ST it has grown on me. I don't think it is a classic like Diamond Eyes or WP but it definitely has better songs than I remember it having when I first got the CD.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Sounds like we may finally get those final Soundgarden recordings.

https://pitchfork.com/news/soundgarden-and-vicky-cornell-settle-yearslong-legal-disputes/

They describe "7 recordings" so I guess that's 7 songs?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I've been listening to Linkin Park's 20th anniversary edition of Meteora and loving it, so I figured I'd listen to their later albums in their discography. The first 2 albums and Reanimation are all-time favorites of mine, but after Meteora I kinda fell off with them all those years ago. I remembered What I've Done being on the Transformers soundtrack and not being into it. Last night I listened to Minutes to Midnight, A Thousand Suns, Living Things and The Hunting Party and I couldn't tell you a goddamn thing about any of them...except that Chester's 17 second long scream in Given Up is loving insane :wth: I need to look up videos of how the hell he pulled that off live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xyxtzD54rM

But yeah, there was that super high point on Minutes to Midnight for me but then the rest of the tracks were pretty forgettable, as was everything on the next few albums. I'm listening to One More Light now and I really do not care for Linkin Park trying to do pop. It's putting me to sleep, which is not something I'd ever say about their earlier stuff.

I wish I connected with the second half of their discography at all but it just is not for me. I still think Chester was a massive talent, though, and it really sucks that he's no longer with us :(

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'd urge you to give A Thousand Suns at least one more try, I think it's really something special. (It's also kind of short, so that helps.) It took a lot of flak at first for being admittedly a little pretentious, but the flow of the tracks is just so good.

Living Things has its share of bangers, though it's certainly less ambitious. It's LP simply being LP again, just with a tad more maturity.

Hunting Party is pretty good but they really shot themselves in the foot with the whole "we're gonna make REAL ROCK MUSIC" thing. Really it just amounted to limiting their sonic palette for no good reason.

One More Light is a really sad way for them to go out, because yeah, it's quite awful. The best thing about LP was how they brought a pop sensibility to hard rock music -- there was an interesting clash going on there. But when they did actual pop music it just sounded like every other pop music.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I thought this was pretty funny from the Wiki for A Thousand Suns:

I also saw on that Wiki page that critics compared it to the likes of Kid A, OK Computer and Dark Side of the Moon, but when I listened to it last night, nothing about it jumped out to me at all.

The track with Page Hamilton of Helmet on Hunting Party stood out to me, but it's not like I'd call it one of their best songs or anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVPbR_r8XLU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

A Thousand Suns is no joke one of my favorite albums and probably the pinnacle of what LP could do as a band. It’s ambitious and utilizes all their disparate interests equally and feels like a complete narrative that touches on their all common themes in a way that fits them all together. I think it showcases the dual vocalists so perfectly and Waiting for the End (which is the centerpiece of the album and basically about a suicide attempt in action) in particular is a heartbreaker, even more so since Chester passed.

edit: it took me years to listen to ATS because Minutes to Midnight was really disappointing in the way it really sidelined a lot of the hip-hop sounds, between that album and Fort Minor becoming a thing I just assumed that they were evolving away from my tastes, and the singles that got big in the years following kind of reinforced that for me but the first time I listened to ATS I was blown away, it feels like the album they as a band were meant to make. They earned the right to make bad sell-out music just like U2 did, and if the world were less cruel they’d still be doing it today. that said Mike should still gently caress off with the NFT/crypto poo poo

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 22:46 on May 2, 2023

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I wish I saw what y'all see in it :shobon:

I'll give it another chance at some point. I was just hoping I had been wrong about losing track of LP's stuff post-Meteora and that I'd find some gems in there that I hadn't heard before (or hadn't heard much), but aside from Given Up, I didn't find that to be the case.

Diet Coke Can
Jul 25, 2004
Indorphine's "Glowsticks for Clubbing Baby Seals" is on Spotify. Could never find this online, glad it's there now. Apparently they released an EP earlier this year as well. Listened to it once, not too shabby!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQsu5IUu3Gs

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

Diet Coke Can posted:

Indorphine's "Glowsticks for Clubbing Baby Seals" is on Spotify. Could never find this online, glad it's there now. Apparently they released an EP earlier this year as well. Listened to it once, not too shabby!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQsu5IUu3Gs

Lol indorphine. Been a lot of years since I've thought about them. I used to listen to spaghetti all the time. Surprised anyone else knew they existed.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Get ready for some mixed feelings, because it looks like Queens Of The Stone Age might be gearing up for something. They keep posting "It's our special week!" and they seem to have a new logo. (They didn't bother updating it on Twitter though)

Rumor has it there will be a new album called In Times New Roman but I'm not really plugged into the fanbase enough anymore to know where exactly the news sites are getting that from.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Sir Lemming posted:

Get ready for some mixed feelings, because it looks like Queens Of The Stone Age might be gearing up for something. They keep posting "It's our special week!" and they seem to have a new logo. (They didn't bother updating it on Twitter though)

Rumor has it there will be a new album called In Times New Roman but I'm not really plugged into the fanbase enough anymore to know where exactly the news sites are getting that from.

Short version is somebody accidentally published the album preorder page at some point last week with all the art, vinyl colorways, track listings, etc and a bunch of folks managed to save it before it got taken back down.

Here’s the cover art and one of the vinyl images with the back cover/track list https://postimg.cc/gallery/9TRpy4Z

Vegastar fucked around with this message at 03:52 on May 9, 2023

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Sum 41 is breaking up. :(

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Vegastar posted:

Short version is somebody accidentally published the album preorder page at some point last week with all the art, vinyl colorways, track listings, etc and a bunch of folks managed to save it before it got taken back down.

Here’s the cover art and one of the vinyl images with the back cover/track list https://postimg.cc/gallery/9TRpy4Z

Although my opinion of Josh Homme has certainly taken a beating in recent years, there's no way I won't give this a listen. That album art gives me Eagles Of Death Metal vibes, which isn't exactly a good thing, but well, whatever.

EDIT: Yep, officially new music as evidenced by this very brief clip:

https://twitter.com/qotsa/status/1655922193149366272?t=MXYa-oCB28lfND88SiEyDQ&s=19

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 20:33 on May 9, 2023

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Sir Lemming posted:

Although my opinion of Josh Homme has certainly taken a beating in recent years, there's no way I won't give this a listen. That album art gives me Eagles Of Death Metal vibes, which isn't exactly a good thing, but well, whatever.

EDIT: Yep, officially new music as evidenced by this very brief clip:

https://twitter.com/qotsa/status/1655922193149366272?t=MXYa-oCB28lfND88SiEyDQ&s=19

New single is floating around out there now. I like it a lot, but ymmv

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

New single is floating around out there now. I like it a lot, but ymmv

I'm getting a very good first impression. Cool production, great bass sound, chaotic riffs, mellow Rated R-style chorus. Also appears to not be either of the teaser clips.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Sir Lemming posted:

I'm getting a very good first impression. Cool production, great bass sound, chaotic riffs, mellow Rated R-style chorus. Also appears to not be either of the teaser clips.
Oh sweet, so it doesn't sound like Villains? I remember not liking that album at all (don't think I've listened to it since it first came out, though) but I love QOTSA's earlier stuff.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Rageaholic posted:

Oh sweet, so it doesn't sound like Villains? I remember not liking that album at all (don't think I've listened to it since it first came out, though) but I love QOTSA's earlier stuff.

It's hard to say because I don't know how to pinpoint the sound of Villains, other than that the songs just weren't very interesting. It definitely sounds like QOTSA but not one specific album. Which is good!

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Rageaholic posted:

Villains might be worth another listen, tracks like Unreborn Again and The Evil Has Landed are great imo

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I love The Evil Has Landed, unfortunately it feels like they used up the whole album's worth of riffs in that one song. Not that I'm Mr. Guitar Guy or whatever, I can dig the more subdued stuff, but to me the songs were just missing compelling hooks, dynamics, and surprises in general. Also for the first time, I found Josh Homme kind of annoying. There was a too-clever-for-my-own-good vibe to a lot of the lyrics and delivery. Like the guy from Cake.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

Villains might be worth another listen, tracks like Unreborn Again and The Evil Has Landed are great imo
Listening again now. The Evil Has Landed is definitely a good song and I like the last part of Villains of Circumstance but I still think this album overall is pretty weak compared to Like Clockwork. That album has several songs I could listen to over and over again. This one has like 1.5.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Sir Lemming posted:

Back in college QOTSA were my bar-none favorite loving band. I got started with Era Vulgaris and I remember going to the show where they played all of the first album in its entirety, all the way up to the Like Clockwork/Villains shows and the MSG show. Like Clockwork I still think is just a masterpiece. But yeah, recent years with Josh kicking a camerawoman/getting so hosed on drugs he started cutting himself/the ugly divorce and child custody poo poo I'm extremely icked out on him--sucks even more given Eagles of Death Metal were another favorite I saw live, and then Jesse Hughes went broken-brained to poo poo.

I'll probably give it a listen--but there's just zero chance I'll ever see them live again (something I probably wasn't gonna do anyway; the MSG show was very much a retread of the previous 2 shows without many surprises.)

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 11, 2023

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Yeah I'm always down to check out new QotSA but don't really need to pay Josh for anything these days. I saw them live once already and it was cool but honestly I forget I even did sometimes (maybe because it was a festival headliner set). Between Queens, Kyuss and Them Crooked Vultures I will admit that the dude has had a pretty important impact on my musical taste but he's a shithead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It's officially out now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIejWJ1rsgU

Album releases June 16th which is, uh, not long from now! Just a few weeks behind Foo Fighters.