Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

I'll take a chapter. I've never painted a space marine, what could go wrong? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

OptimusWang posted:

I'll take a chapter. I've never painted a space marine, what could go wrong? :v:

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

gently caress, Boom Templars is a rad dumb name

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

I have finished my ICE SAINTS Bigmarine.

My idea for these guys is that their homeworld is basically Snow/Ice Version of Dune. The vast majority of the planet's land area consists of icy tundra and plains, with civilization centered around the poles where it is somewhat more temperate due to ~ mysterious ~ terraforming machines left over from the Age of Darkness. There is now an uneasy co-habitation agreement between the human settlers who were rediscovered after the Horus Heresy (and who supply men and materiel for Astra Militarum and Space Marines) and a Mechanicum detachment that was dropped there to figure how just how heretical the terraforming machines are.

This is the seventh dude I've painted since I took a really loving long break and the first not-30k-Death-Guard dude. Got to test some different methods and stuff, it was really fun. I might try to paint more guys with this scheme.

Zark the Damned posted:

Alpha Barracudas reporting for duty!

Also this is really cool.

Also also the RAGING SCORPIONS are amazing!

DrPop fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 21, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
God drat everyone has some awesome BigMars.

chutche2 posted:

I'm pretty happy to be a part of this. Crazy how much it blew up

Do you think Beer is actually a GW marketing exec trying to drive primaris sales

I don't think I could ever work for GW. This is definitely one of those things where I feel like it's fun because it's a hobby.

OptimusWang posted:

You are the STEALTH SCARS.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

God drat everyone has some awesome BigMars.

I don't think I could ever work for GW. This is definitely one of those things where I feel like it's fun because it's a hobby.

You are the STEALTH SCARS.

I thought this said Stealth Cars :(

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Back from Vacation, I'll try and get my VIGILANT FOXES space dude done soon.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

JBP posted:

You want me to paint it like a Prius?

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

JBP posted:

:same: now I am :saddowns:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

gently caress it I'm in, I need practice anyway

gimme a chapter, hopefully I'll get something dumb

I'm also requesting HARD MODE (if it's a good name, if it's not I'll just reroll and take hard mode anyway)

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Babe Magnet posted:

I'm also requesting HARD MODE (if it's a good name, if it's not I'll just reroll and take hard mode anyway)

Hard mode is taking the first name you're given and not being able to veto for a new one. What you're doing is taking pussycat mode. :colbert:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

codex astartes clearly defines Hard Mode and the ability to reroll a boring name as separate entries

I'm just trying to hedge my bets so I don't get something boring like Ice Mans or Red Armors or Ultramarines 2. the real hard mode is spending money on GW products (to make sure I get the right Mandatory paint color)

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Aug 24, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Babe Magnet posted:

gently caress it I'm in, I need practice anyway

gimme a chapter, hopefully I'll get something dumb

You are the FURIOUS VULTURES. You must use CERAMITE WHITE and are banned from using LEADBELCHER.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
After taking some test photos I realized I have to go back and do a lot of touchup on the Imperial Falcons but I'll hopefully have some better pictures of Brother Jazzcup next week.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You are the FURIOUS VULTURES. You must use CERAMITE WHITE and are banned from using LEADBELCHER.

lmao leadbelcher is the only gw paint I acually own right now

Time to order some stuff!

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Aug 24, 2017

TyrantSabre
Nov 4, 2009

Get close to the explosion.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You must use CERAMITE WHITE

:rip: Better get a fresh pot and use it quick!

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Given the Heresy-era experience the Raven Guard had with rapidly cloned reinforcements, they and their successors have been a little reluctant to employ bigly marines en masse within existing chapters. A large proportion of their allocation was re-founded in new chapters, such as the DANCING RAPTORS.

The Dancing Raptors were first deployed to the feral jungle worlds of the Nublar system, where they assisted the eccentric local governor in establishing a number of colonies on previously unconquered planets. However, these colonies have suffered from prolonged conflict with the xenos species of the system, and the Dancing Raptors have been embroiled in a prolonged guerilla war against a variety of savage and predatory alien.

Lt Muldoon in action on Nublar V

All apologies to Buffalo Chicken for this one.
I saw this in the OP and, before even getting to the last line, knew I had to read through every page to find your post and quote you and tell you how wonderful you are. Well done on a beautiful mini - I hope you expand this glorious Chapter.

There's also a ton of other sweet ones, like this dope scorpion-man with a butt-spike. Have you seen the old Slaanesh bit which is a pincer Powerfist? Would be perfect for these guys.

bonds0097 posted:

Raging Scorpion Complete:

The Raging Scorpions are an Iron Hands successor from an unknown founding. Like their progenitors, they value metal over flesh and upon achieving battle brother status, all marines are implanted with a prehensile "scorpion" tail that serves as as a deadly close combat weapon due to the poison it injects. It is common for veterans to their right arm entirely with a bionic limb/weapon. They are known as fierce close combatants and favor ambushing their enemies and striking hard and fast.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

BuffaloChicken posted:

I saw this in the OP and, before even getting to the last line, knew I had to read through every page to find your post and quote you and tell you how wonderful you are. Well done on a beautiful mini - I hope you expand this glorious Chapter.

There's also a ton of other sweet ones, like this dope scorpion-man with a butt-spike. Have you seen the old Slaanesh bit which is a pincer Powerfist? Would be perfect for these guys.

I have not, that would have been great!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I made another. Three more and I'll have a squad!

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

I seriously dig him. Awesome grenade launcher setup.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

I need some help with the STEALTH SCARS.

Baby's first space marine!

Decided to try my new Scale75 colors and learned that Baal Crimson is actually pink.

Welp, since the color names don't make any sense I'll hit it with Hastur Purple, then highlight again with the pink.

Much better. Next I blocked in some colors and was pretty happy:

This is where I need help. For the stealth effect, I tried to do a lightning bolt thing to break up the cloak-to-red transition. I've never done one of these before, and it ended up being harder then I thought.

On the back and shoulder I changed from a single hard line to a multiple forks, thinking it might help, but... meh.

Any advice or tips so I can wrap this guy up?

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

OptimusWang posted:

I need some help with the STEALTH SCARS.

Baby's first space marine!

Decided to try my new Scale75 colors and learned that Baal Crimson is actually pink.

Welp, since the color names don't make any sense I'll hit it with Hastur Purple, then highlight again with the pink.

Much better. Next I blocked in some colors and was pretty happy:

This is where I need help. For the stealth effect, I tried to do a lightning bolt thing to break up the cloak-to-red transition. I've never done one of these before, and it ended up being harder then I thought.

On the back and shoulder I changed from a single hard line to a multiple forks, thinking it might help, but... meh.

Any advice or tips so I can wrap this guy up?

Honestly this is looking pretty baller so far.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

After you do the base, you might want to incorporate the base pattern into feet and up the leg. So if you use a brown gravel, try to color match it and speckle it up.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

moths posted:

After you do the base, you might want to incorporate the base pattern into feet and up the leg. So if you use a brown gravel, try to color match it and speckle it up.

This and/or some turbulence from the cloaking effect. Maybe very thin sparkles/forks of lightning isolated from the main edge part.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Finally have my primaris built and ready to paint. Just need a sweet chapter name and motivation. Sign me up!

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

BuffaloChicken posted:

Aw gosh :3:

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Just rolled this one, as a pasty white boy I think I'm gonna skip on it

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Geoff Zahn posted:

Chapter Motto: "We pity the fool who is a heretic!"

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Geoff Zahn posted:

"You must use Ceramite White and are banned from using Abaddon Black"

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Pierzak posted:

"You must use Ceramite White and are banned from using Abaddon Black"

Just one more example of whitewashing. When will you learn, America? :argh:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I got my Primaris stuff to work on!

Got a 3-man reiver box and and a 3-man intercessor box, probably going to splice up a reiver with a bolt carbine

FURIOUS VULTURES incoming

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I got some primaris marines coming this week. Gimmie a hard mode chapter, I don't use citadel paints but I'll approximate as best I can.

prototype14
Nov 6, 2013

a cock shaped fruit posted:

I'm a dickhead...

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Well I finally got back into the swing of things after being out of the country for a week followed up with a funeral and catching up on classes. I apologize for the delay!

Elblanco posted:

Finally have my primaris built and ready to paint. Just need a sweet chapter name and motivation. Sign me up!

You are the SIEGE GUARD.

Bucnasti posted:

I got some primaris marines coming this week. Gimmie a hard mode chapter, I don't use citadel paints but I'll approximate as best I can.

You are the OZONE SKULLS. You must use SCREAMING BELL and are banned from using WARPLOCK BRONZE.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

SIEGE GUARD

OZONE SKULLS

Both of these are great names.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You are the OZONE SKULLS. You must use SCREAMING BELL and are banned from using WARPLOCK BRONZE.

Oh yeah... how convenient that my box of GW skulls arrived with my big marines.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You are the SIEGE GUARD.

gently caress yes!

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You are both required to and banned from using bronze, tough restrictions :D

(OK technically Screaming Bell is actually bronze, Warplock is closer to the old Tin Bitz colour i.e. a metallic dark brown)

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
I take it this is still going? I've been toying with the idea of painting a bigly, so if this thing is still running I'll order a box of dudes after work tomorrow.

So sign me up for the challenge, hoping for a real goofy name here.
Also, because I'm a crazy person, give me :siren:TRIPLE HARDMODE! :siren: :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Groetgaffel posted:

I take it this is still going? I've been toying with the idea of painting a bigly, so if this thing is still running I'll order a box of dudes after work tomorrow.

So sign me up for the challenge, hoping for a real goofy name here.
Also, because I'm a crazy person, give me :siren:TRIPLE HARDMODE! :siren: :black101:

You are the FLYING CLAWS. You must use WARPLOCK BRONZE, CALEDOR SKY, and KHORNE RED. You are banned from using LEADBELCHER, JOKAERO ORANGE, and CERAMITE WHITE.

• Locked thread