Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

YggiDee posted:

I genuinely don't care what music people play in the kitchen anymore, life's too short for me to be annoyed about nu metal or whatever. however if I start hearing low-battery alerts, notification noises or god help me Spotify/YouTube ads I should be allowed to eat or at least confiscate your Bluetooth speaker.

The only music I really don’t like is prison rap talking about doing violent felonies in explicit detail. I don’t need that in my head while I’m working, or, well, ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Coasterphreak posted:

The only music I really don’t like is prison rap talking about doing violent felonies in explicit detail. I don’t need that in my head while I’m working, or, well, ever.

I liked some gangsta rap when i was in the kitchen, felt like one of the only times I could feel good about enjoying it.

Conversely, I was once sitting in the park in the middle of the day and heard a guy ride by on a bicycle with a really loud stereo on it, blaring Dance with the Devil by Immortal Technique.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

OK, passed the post test, now I just need the proctored exam.

Here is a deck of flash cards with all of the questions and answers on the post test:
https://quizlet.com/380133832/servsafe-test-flash-cards/?isSetPageSignup=1

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Mister Speaker posted:

Immortal Technique

"Listen Juan Valdez, just get me my product" could cause a misunderstanding with some of my coworkers.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Squashy Nipples posted:

OK, passed the post test, now I just need the proctored exam.

Here is a deck of flash cards with all of the questions and answers on the post test:
https://quizlet.com/380133832/servsafe-test-flash-cards/?isSetPageSignup=1

Thanks, I actually needed a refresher. My manager cert expired last year. I don't have a reason to renew right now but I'd like to stay current and be able to tell new employers I can retest whenever.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Had a "theme meal" dinner. Got absolutely killed.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

st patricks day (or the saturday before anyway) with two bartenders, three servers, one manager and 0 support staff in a 500 seat restaurant

i am so tired

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Let me guess, 40% ten tops of people going out on the town wearing matching (ish) green t-shirts that say "slainte, y'all" or something.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
It's a shame you can't just set up a trough of potatoes with cabbage and a second with Guinness and call it a traditional prix fixe menu.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

bloody ghost titty posted:

Let me guess, 40% ten tops of people going out on the town wearing matching (ish) green t-shirts that say "slainte, y'all" or something.

you know what's so weird? it wasn't. it was almost entirely 20-30 yr old european tourists, and the only ones slamming back green beer and fireball was the 20 top in the bar/cocktail section. one of the servers got a 35 top walk in (!!) of people who had just left a wedding reception. it was a weird night.

oh also i had to comp like $200 worth of booze because the day manager decided to also sit in the cocktail section and get completely hosed up. i'm a little pissed with staff members who decide to stay after their shifts on busy nights rather than like, go next door the chain place that has $5 pints all night.

e: also, side note, no one but me thought it was funny that we, an english pub, had danish beer on special for st. patrick's day. idk.

cash crab fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Mar 17, 2024

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

cash crab posted:

oh also i had to comp like $200 worth of booze because the day manager decided to also sit in the cocktail section and get completely hosed up. i'm a little pissed with staff members who decide to stay after their shifts on busy nights rather than like, go next door the chain place that has $5 pints all night.
Back in the day when I was still industry, at least they/I tipped well.

I always paid for my poo poo though besides what was given to me. Never expected it to be comped.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

i left before their table closed out (i was the second shift bartender), and i know one of them tipped well but i am not sure about said manager. she can be a wild card when she gets drunk (another reason i immediately dipped at 12:30 once i finished stock), but i will find out when i get my tips today. also she was supposed to be on today from 2-10, lol

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I seriously hate when three dozen people drop with no warning. Like, can none of you grab the cellular device in your pocket and give a heads up?

The worst was when I worked off a major interstate and we’d get entire sports teams dropped on us with zero warning in off hours.

The best was when Steph Curry brought his entire rehearsal dinner to my place for lunch, that was loving cool (and it just so happened to be on a day that literally the best people in the store were all working at the same time, so it was smooth as gently caress)

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

cash crab posted:

you know what's so weird? it wasn't. it was almost entirely 20-30 yr old european tourists, and the only ones slamming back green beer and fireball was the 20 top in the bar/cocktail section. one of the servers got a 35 top walk in (!!) of people who had just left a wedding reception. it was a weird night.

e: also, side note, no one but me thought it was funny that we, an english pub, had danish beer on special for st. patrick's day. idk.

Hanging out for hours after your shift is sociopathic

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Coasterphreak posted:

I seriously hate when three dozen people drop with no warning. Like, can none of you grab the cellular device in your pocket and give a heads up?

The worst was when I worked off a major interstate and we’d get entire sports teams dropped on us with zero warning in off hours.

The best was when Steph Curry brought his entire rehearsal dinner to my place for lunch, that was loving cool (and it just so happened to be on a day that literally the best people in the store were all working at the same time, so it was smooth as gently caress)

my response is always the same which is “how do you coordinate 25 adults getting together but none of y’all can call the restaurant”.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
The other fun one is when all your regular catering customers call you last minute on the same day and you start having to say no because there’s literally not enough people to make and deliver it all and there’s no way you’re gonna pull them out of thin air four hours ago.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Oh my place will happily gently caress staff by taking parties of any size with no warning.

We also don't auto-grat large parties.

Get me out of here.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Wroughtirony posted:

Oh my place will happily gently caress staff by taking parties of any size with no warning.

We also don't auto-grat large parties.

Get me out of here.

i literally quit from one place for that. also my tips went into a debit card that charged me money to get said tips.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Coasterphreak posted:

Celebrities/athletes are the worst. My joint will force the kitchen to stay open late bc a basketball guy might come in for a meal after the game but maybe not.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

cash crab posted:

my tips went into a debit card that charged me money to get said tips.

:psyduck:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Also, if you can't find a brush for your oil, a leek will do:

https://imgur.com/slsHCNI

edit: Imgur mp4's can't be embedded? I got a super weird error message when I tried.

Animal-Mother fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Mar 19, 2024

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Animal-Mother posted:

Also, if you can't find a brush for your oil, a leek will do:

https://i.imgur.com/slsHCNI.mp4

edit: Imgur mp4's can't be embedded? I got a super weird error message when I tried.

Fixed it for you; for embedding mp4s you have to change it to i.imgur.com as well as adding the .mp4 to the end.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Kro-Bar posted:

Celebrities/athletes are the worst. My joint will force the kitchen to stay open late bc a basketball guy might come in for a meal after the game but maybe not.

idc if you're POTUS, I'm not staying open past posted hours

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Coasterphreak posted:

idc if you're POTUS, I'm not staying open past posted hours

If you’re POTUS I’m closing early, not gonna let the Secret Service send my best folks home for bullshit like “prior drug convictions” or “that’s not your real name.”

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

If you’re POTUS I’m closing early, not gonna let the Secret Service send my best folks home for bullshit like “prior drug convictions” or “that’s not your real name.”

"Corn Pop! Quick, I'll prop open the kitchen door."

"But I can't! I'm lead somm tonight! Who will cover the whales at 830 and 915?"

"No chances, we'll save you some of the DRC, just go!"

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Passed the ServSafe manager test with a 92... and you only need a 70 to pass.

Yes, there were a few Gotcha questions, and some odd wording, or else I would have gotten a 100%. But here is the thing, most people could get a 70 just from the easy ones.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Does anyone else get nostalgic from the smell of thermal paper printing?

The sound of those printers rightly drives me out of my mind, but the weirdly sweet pencil smell brings me back.

Malah
May 18, 2015

I was in the middle of posting to lol at our new tomato slicer but excuse me there's an actual code Adam to handle. Busy day! :dogstare:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I finally got some complete bullshit 86'd from the menu forever and boss man wants me to develop a replacement. Spicy Thai chicken (or veg) pizza with a coconut curry sauce instead of marinara? Sound good?

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Animal-Mother posted:

I finally got some complete bullshit 86'd from the menu forever and boss man wants me to develop a replacement. Spicy Thai chicken (or veg) pizza with a coconut curry sauce instead of marinara? Sound good?

It sounds good, but I’d be concerned about the sauce burning at pizza oven temps. Presumably you’d be using coconut milk, and it does not like 500 degrees in my experience.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

I've had that with a peanut sauce and it kicked rear end. You might need to play around with a couple different sauces, maybe thickened and thus emulsified with short grain rice?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Coasterphreak posted:

Presumably you’d be using coconut milk, and it does not like 500 degrees in my experience.

I just did some experiments at 550 and it was fine. :shrug:

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

A lot of places around where I am also do gyros as well as pizza, but not a one of them has a gyro pizza. Tzatziki instead of marinara, kinda like a white pizza, with tomatoes, gyro meat and feta baked off, and topped with shredded lettuce after it comes out.

Iunno, I think it sounds good. Though I do like your spicy Thai pizza too, and might try that myself.

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

Malah posted:

I was in the middle of posting to lol at our new tomato slicer but excuse me there's an actual code Adam to handle. Busy day! :dogstare:
Hmm, I’ve never heard of a “code Adam” - I guess it must be an industry term over in the States. I’ll just Google it to learn more and… oh.

:dogstare:

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Aniodia posted:

A lot of places around where I am also do gyros as well as pizza, but not a one of them has a gyro pizza. Tzatziki instead of marinara, kinda like a white pizza, with tomatoes, gyro meat and feta baked off, and topped with shredded lettuce after it comes out.

Iunno, I think it sounds good. Though I do like your spicy Thai pizza too, and might try that myself.

There was a Greek place near my last apartment that did a gyro pizza that was pretty drat good. Greek style tomato sauce, gyro + onion + feta on the pizza, tzatziki on the side for dipping. Never saw them serve it with lettuce on it, that might be a hard sell in the US - but I can see it working.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Swedish curry pizza with kebab and banana as a topping was one of my fondest memories of studying abroad in Sweden.

A very simple curry sauce instead of red. Of course, they (at least in 1999) called curry, kebab and banana the 'Afrikana' pizza, which is a little confused...

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Place by me used to offer gyro sausage as a topping, I'd always get that, onion, and roast garlic. Amazing!

I wish I'd had a dipper of tzatiki though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The QR code system that my franchise offered me is terrible. I'd like to customize my own content, so I'm going to get my own system.

Are there any QR code menu services that anyone can recommend?