Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Mister Speaker posted:

It's one of my more callous jokes but if you're that allergic to something that ubiquitous, someone upstairs didn't want you to be around too long.

I'm probably just bitter though, that the summer camp I worked at for years never let me have Oh Henry bars or Reese's peanut butter cups.

The best service industry one is when you get a patron who claims to be allergic to salt. You know, sodium, the thing we need for our neurons to fire properly.

Who was it here that cooked for a yacht or sailboat, had to plan a cruise-worth of meals that were zero sodium? And then the last night they had a seafood boil where everything would be cooked in seawater, but, oh, that's okay!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Pretty wild story developing here

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/customers-viral-dispute-250-reservation-172902054.html

"Thank You For Screwing Over My Restaurant And My Staff": This Restaurant Owner's Response To A Customer Canceling His Reservation Has Garnered Over 24 Million Views, And A Lot Of Backlash

quote:

Here's what happened: In a thread posted to X (formerly known as Twitter) last Thursday, Trevor showed screenshots of his back-and-forth messages with Table's account on Instagram, seemingly initiated by Jen. The conversation started with Jen sarcastically thanking Trevor for "screwing over my restaurant and staff" after Trevor used his credit card's travel insurance to get reimbursed for the restaurant's $250 reservation cancellation fee. "I really hope in the future you have more respect for restaurants, especially small businesses such as mine. Pathetic," Jen concludes in her message. The thread has now been viewed over 24 million times.

According to Trevor, his husband allegedly tried to call the restaurant to explain the situation to the staff before disputing the fee, but Trevor said that he was told to "take it up" with his credit card if he was "so butt hurt."

I guess read the whole thing because it just keeps going

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Mister Speaker posted:

It's one of my more callous jokes but if you're that allergic to something that ubiquitous, someone upstairs didn't want you to be around too long.

"OF COURSE we shouldn't let all the kids with peanut allergies just die......... But maybe..."

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Who was it here that cooked for a yacht or sailboat, had to plan a cruise-worth of meals that were zero sodium? And then the last night they had a seafood boil where everything would be cooked in seawater, but, oh, that's okay!

That was WroughtIrony.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
:psyboom:
What the gently caress.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BiggerBoat posted:

Pretty wild story developing here

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/customers-viral-dispute-250-reservation-172902054.html

"Thank You For Screwing Over My Restaurant And My Staff": This Restaurant Owner's Response To A Customer Canceling His Reservation Has Garnered Over 24 Million Views, And A Lot Of Backlash

I guess read the whole thing because it just keeps going

Yeah, there's a lot to unpack. Travel insurance and a credit card charge back are completely different things. I wouldn't eat at a place that had a 125 prix fix menu (well I absolutely would if someone else was paying) but if I did I would also accept that whatever my emergency was I would abide by the cancellation rules because I assume a 125 prix fix involves preparing things in advance they can't easily sell to someone else.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

The restaurant owner is an idiot for pursuing this with the customer directly. Put the guy on your no fly list, eat the $250 loss, and wash your hands of it. Every time this happens, the business (restaurant or otherwise!) gets put on social media, and they lose almost every time.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Don't make a reservation that relies on a train being on time. Especially if a delayed train will make you have to go to the ER????

If I was the restaurant owner I'd have confronted in person to not leave a trail.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

That was me. And I still don't know how I managed not to leave that scene in handcuffs.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Shooting Blanks posted:

The restaurant owner is an idiot for pursuing this with the customer directly. Put the guy on your no fly list, eat the $250 loss, and wash your hands of it. Every time this happens, the business (restaurant or otherwise!) gets put on social media, and they lose almost every time.

Also, in my experience, back of house owners who engage on social media are really bad at being the bare minimum of polite it takes to be persuasive! Just sheer, dipshit yelling at clouds vitriol that makes them look unhinged and deeply unpleasant.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

bloody ghost titty posted:

Also, in my experience, back of house owners who engage on social media are really bad at being the bare minimum of polite it takes to be persuasive! Just sheer, dipshit yelling at clouds vitriol that makes them look unhinged and deeply unpleasant.

This is because if you’re crazy enough to work boh you’re probably unhinged and deeply unpleasant.

There’s a reason I tell my bosses to hire somebody nice to talk to the customers

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Oh hey, this one is local for me.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Right, but she is known for doing this, and has mostly pulled it off in the past.

For me, the crux of the issue is that I think the customer is lying about how they handled it; the restaurateur would not have responded that way without a charge back.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Coasterphreak posted:

This is because if you’re crazy enough to work boh you’re probably unhinged and deeply unpleasant.

There’s a reason I tell my bosses to hire somebody nice to talk to the customers

Sometimes I feel like a universal translator in restaurants. I can speak fluent chef and fluent FOH, and as an elder millennial I can communicate with the olds and the kids both. It's sort of too bad I hate managing, I'm pretty good at a lot of aspects of it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bloody ghost titty posted:

I could absolutely never be a chef, but I've met very, very few chefs that could be waiters. Just completely different skill sets.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
The crossover is bartenders, because you have to be friendly enough to make people want to tip you but you also have to be competent enough to make poo poo people will pay money for. (unless you’re just slinging beer at a dive bar, but that’s just a server with a state cert)

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Waiting tables is a very specific skill, having good people skills is not enough. Some people are just really loving good at it, and I always tip them extra.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Squashy Nipples posted:

Oh hey, this one is local for me.

Right, but she is known for doing this, and has mostly pulled it off in the past.

For me, the crux of the issue is that I think the customer is lying about how they handled it; the restaurateur would not have responded that way without a charge back.

I was leaning this way but then I got to the part of the article with screenshots of her replies to Yelp reviews. Big Amy's Baking Company energy. Off her loving nut.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Coasterphreak posted:

The crossover is bartenders, because you have to be friendly enough to make people want to tip you but you also have to be competent enough to make poo poo people will pay money for. (unless you’re just slinging beer at a dive bar, but that’s just a server with a state cert)

I was a barback at a place that had cocktail tables with table service, and I guess they made better tips than bartenders because one of the bartenders wanted to move there and the manager just straight up said "no, I need the three foot marble counter between you and the customer."

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

If I'm really honest, I'm a FOH person. I'm a great prep manager and I can rock garde manger, but I'm weak on hot line. I'll just never be a line stud, which is fine. I'm hoping to pitch a schedule to a local fine dining spot where I do a prep shift or two when they're closed Mon-Tues and then wait tables on the weekend. That would be my total sweet spot.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Wroughtirony posted:

If I'm really honest, I'm a FOH person. I'm a great prep manager and I can rock garde manger, but I'm weak on hot line. I'll just never be a line stud, which is fine. I'm hoping to pitch a schedule to a local fine dining spot where I do a prep shift or two when they're closed Mon-Tues and then wait tables on the weekend. That would be my total sweet spot.

This is how you become the AGM, beware

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Moving back to FOH from years in kitchens was really good for my mental health. I've been back and forth between BOH/FOH but at my last job, I realized it wasn't just the job before that at the board game cafe that made me miserable, it was kitchens in general. Sure, I got to be vulgar and immature and listen to whatever music I wanted as loud as I wanted, but ending every night greasy and sore and stressed and without as much cash in pocket wasn't worth it. I asked and they moved me to a bussing/barbacking/hosting position at the arcade, and immediately I realized that I actually thrive on interacting with people. It keeps my mind occupied and sharpens my wit. Then they paid for my security license and I became the weekend bouncer as well, which you'd also think wouldn't be very healthy but it felt mostly great.

It probably helps a lot that the arcade was just a chill, enjoyable place to work in general - I don't imagine if I'd been a bouncer at some King Street douche-factory nightclub that I'd be too happy, but essentially being the first person patrons interact with in a nerdy environment was nice; loads of conversations about video games with people waiting to get in. People said I was the nicest bouncer they'd ever met, and in the rare occasion they were rude, my manager always had my back.

Now I'm pretty much out of the service industry, in a retail position selling audio equipment to people richer and more talented than me. I miss having cash money on hand all the time and being able to tell people to gently caress off if they get rude, but it's a positive move. Interactions with people about a shared passion, and it feels like there's actually room for advancement or networking opportunities to a better career closer to music. As much as I loved the arcade, this industry is a trap and a couple of former friends who I estimate are industry lifers have gotten heavy into the cocaine and turned real nasty. I'm glad to now be at a distance from manipulative bartenders and the competitive drinkers they prey on.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Based on people I know who are deeply passionate about audio equipment, at least half of them are not more talented than you, and I don't know you from Adam.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

Mister Speaker posted:

. I'm glad to now be at a distance from manipulative bartenders and the competitive drinkers they prey on.

I'm glad you got out of the industry (there are very few good jobs and most the big restaurant group owners in Toronto range from "weirdo workaholics" to "evil nepo businessmen fueled by drugs and sexual harassment") and followed your Tilt saga here and in the Toronto thread but man you have managed to do some real wild vagueposts about Toronto bartenders lately.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Air Skwirl posted:

Based on people I know who are deeply passionate about audio equipment, at least half of them are not more talented than you, and I don't know you from Adam.

As a man who studied audio technology for my undergrad requirements, this.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Air Skwirl posted:

I was a barback at a place that had cocktail tables with table service, and I guess they made better tips than bartenders because one of the bartenders wanted to move there and the manager just straight up said "no, I need the three foot marble counter between you and the customer."

All I hear is “you’re doing it properly”

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Wroughtirony posted:

That was me. And I still don't know how I managed not to leave that scene in handcuffs.

That av seems :perfect: now. That knife isn't for the lobster boiled in seawater, it's for the customer, isn't it?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Sega 32X posted:

I'm glad you got out of the industry (there are very few good jobs and most the big restaurant group owners in Toronto range from "weirdo workaholics" to "evil nepo businessmen fueled by drugs and sexual harassment") and followed your Tilt saga here and in the Toronto thread but man you have managed to do some real wild vagueposts about Toronto bartenders lately.

Yeah you're right, my bad. It's difficult not to let my bitterness show as it's all still very raw. It's not all bartenders in this neighbourhood (I'm at a bar right now) but some former friends in the industry have treated me like dogshit and sabotaged my rep in the scene and I think it's unfortunately in part due to addictions endemic to the bar scene. It's drat fun when you're in it - parties seem to go on forever - but start setting boundaries and you'll see who's really got your back.

Air Skwirl posted:

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Mar 6, 2024

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Squashy Nipples posted:

Drink and Fight posted:

I was leaning this way but then I got to the part of the article with screenshots of her replies to Yelp reviews. Big Amy's Baking Company energy. Off her loving nut.

Both of these can be true. I'm pretty sure the owner is an rear end in a top hat, but the customer is full of poo poo about the chargeback.

Coasterphreak posted:

Or go bartend at a nightclub, which was my background. Crank out drinks all night with minimal interaction, go home with $$$.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Honestly, if I ever decide to try bartending, that’s the way I’d go. Nope, sorry, no time for small talk, theres 40 people behind you that want drinks.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

It's great until the night you're past capacity and the AC gets hosed up and you have to keep going. But then, if you're lucky, your barback/bartender-in-training just needs a quick pep-talk, you start from opposite ends, meet in the middle, and repeat, and then you give them glowing references for years after.

I preferred running an after hours industry-only bar for the small talk and shop talk. Some people want to vent about their day and gently caress it, sure, sometimes it's a good story.

But the heat and intensity can hit the right spot in the nightclub-esque environment if you're willing to assert "gently caress you we're out of mint and I'm not blending a god damned thing" and able to get away with it.

stringless fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Mar 6, 2024

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

Wroughtirony posted:

Sometimes I feel like a universal translator in restaurants. I can speak fluent chef and fluent FOH, and as an elder millennial I can communicate with the olds and the kids both. It's sort of too bad I hate managing, I'm pretty good at a lot of aspects of it.

I feel you. I'm the only one who gets along with the 60 year olds and the 16 year olds ( including culinary). It helps that I was a high school math teacher for a few years, have 33 aunts/uncles of boomer age, and lived with 2 chefs, then a bartender, then married a different bartender at different points of my life.

Unrelated to anything else: I got drunk one night and started buying poo poo on amazon. Bought a wine key that I left sitting in junk drawer for literal years until my work key dulled so bad it couldn't cut foil. This stupid piece of poo poo is the most comfortable wine key I have ever used. Middle finger rests right in the tail fin of the fish while cutting and the one lever works surprisingly well.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

A good wine key is so loving great. I hate going to one of my parent's friends' party and they have some weird thing to open wine that cost them way too much money and then they can't open a bottle of wine with it. I get asked to help because I used to be a waiter and I'm just like "this is a piece of poo poo , do you have wine key" and I dig through their kitchen drawers until I find one because they usually do.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Quabzor posted:

Unrelated to anything else: I got drunk

:same:

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Air Skwirl posted:

A good wine key is so loving great. I hate going to one of my parent's friends' party and they have some weird thing to open wine that cost them way too much money and then they can't open a bottle of wine with it. I get asked to help because I used to be a waiter and I'm just like "this is a piece of poo poo , do you have wine key" and I dig through their kitchen drawers until I find one because they usually do.

It's almost like a party trick to open a bottle of wine in 5 seconds. You look like a madman because seemingly no one realizes that 99% of the time you don't have to cut the foil at all, and it will come off with a modicum of force.

Actual party trick: open a bottle of wine with a shoe (I've done this once)

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

That av seems :perfect: now. That knife isn't for the lobster boiled in seawater, it's for the customer, isn't it?

You got me. One of these days sooner rather than later I'll sit down and write out the whole Saltman story. I just have to sit down and remember all the details- it was over a decade ago.

e: credit for the awesome av goes to forums user ToasterBeef

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
The knife is never for anything behind the counter.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I genuinely don't care what music people play in the kitchen anymore, life's too short for me to be annoyed about nu metal or whatever. however if I start hearing low-battery alerts, notification noises or god help me Spotify/YouTube ads I should be allowed to eat or at least confiscate your Bluetooth speaker.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

YggiDee posted:

I genuinely don't care what music people play in the kitchen anymore, life's too short for me to be annoyed about nu metal or whatever. however if I start hearing low-battery alerts, notification noises or god help me Spotify/YouTube ads I should be allowed to eat or at least confiscate your Bluetooth speaker.

Counterpoint: David Lee Roth ringtone.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Wroughtirony posted:

You got me. One of these days sooner rather than later I'll sit down and write out the whole Saltman story. I just have to sit down and remember all the details- it was over a decade ago.

e: credit for the awesome av goes to forums user ToasterBeef

It is a very good story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

YggiDee posted:

Our pots guy plays a lot of classic Norte and our baker said "This is music for sad old people in a cantina, please stop."