Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Bad things about your stage: That you had to do one. Staging is hosed up and needs to be done away with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

the great deceiver posted:

are you staging for free? the past couple stages ive done i was cashed out at the end of the night.

I'm out of the industry entirely (and when I was in, I was FOH/bar). But I keep coming back to things like this:

https://www.eater.com/2017/6/26/15876834/willows-inn-ends-staging-internship-wage-lawsuit

quote:

One of the Pacific Northwest’s most acclaimed fine dining destinations will no longer be able to lean on unpaid labor. The Willows Inn, located on Washington State’s Lummi Island, has been ordered to cough up $149,000 in unpaid wages and damages to 19 kitchen employees following a Department of Labor investigation.

According to a DOL press release, the restaurant “violated the Fair Labor Standards Act by failing to pay overtime and minimum wage to its employees.” The Willows Inn required its entry-level kitchen staff to work one month for free as as a “try-out period,” and once hired, “kitchen workers were paid daily rates from $50 per day for up to 14 hours per day” with no overtime.

And it leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. I realize I'm preaching to the choir here, but people in F&B are underpaid as it is more often than not. Asking BOH folks to stage at no pay is a lovely practice and needs to be abolished. If you're getting paid for stages, awesome - I just associate the term with unpaid shifts.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

the great deceiver posted:

am unpaid month long stage?!?!?!?!? yeah you got me hosed up. that's beyond unreasonable

An unpaid single day stage is unreasonable. A tasting for management/owners is perfectly fine - that's part of the interview process. But as soon as you're serving customers, you should be getting paid. On the bar side, I felt the same way. Can you make these 10 drinks, can you pass a pour test, etc. But again, as soon as you're behind the stick on a live shift, you deserve a full share of tips.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

The General posted:

My last place tried to give me a "working interview" for dishwashing. I am not washing dishes for free, unless none of those dishes are from customers, and I personally watch you open up a can of beans and make a mess out of some plates just so you can see how I wash em.

Are you serious? For dishwashing? Jesus.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

iospace posted:

Alright, I can understand why someone would not want to have to deal with all the tax paperwork for a potential hire that may not last a day. That's a major headache for everyone involved.

But if you're going to do shady poo poo like not pay your employees to "try them out", why not do some different shady poo poo like, I don't know... pay them under the table?

Or are you that greedy and ethically bankrupt that that's out of the question.

This I'm perfectly OK with. It opens up the restaurant to liability should the person hurt themselves, but at least they're getting paid.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Stuntman posted:

Is there any way to deal with the tackiness you get on utensils/containers that have sat out without being used or washed for god knows how long?

Soak in hot water for a bit before you start scrubbing?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i said nearly everyone because as the only foh folks i can consistently remember are you and amahd

I'm former FOH. Same for Vegetable Melange.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

bloody ghost titty posted:

Emphasis on former, SUCKERS. Supply side LYFE! :dukedoge:

I don't think I could do your job.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Frankly, I don't mess with hiring paperwork, so I'm honestly not sure. A handful of cash under the table would be easier for everyone involved I'd wager, though.

This is what I generally advocate - pay $10/hr in cash or whatever at the end of the trial shift, and give them a verbal yes/no hiring at the end of the shift (or tell them when to expect a response). As was said, $50 can make a world of difference when someone is desperate - that can be the difference between someone having a cell phone for the next month or eating for the next two weeks, and not. And if you're in the US, since it's <$600, you're not responsible for sending them a 1099 which minimizes the paperwork on your end.

The main issue is liability, in case they somehow get seriously hurt. That can land you in some trouble if they need treatment for an injury of some sort, but that's on you to mitigate (which I'm assuming you're already doing because no employer wants their employees injured).

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Yeah we typically have a chat by nights end about whether or not we want to bring them on, and a couple 20s and a handshake shouldn't be hard to swing. It's never been about the money, we are doing well enough, it's just the precedent that we thought existed. Sometimes you need a push to get moving.

And really, people have already spent $30 on custom avatars for me, so it's hard for me to stay mad in the face of laughing.

Thanks for at least reconsidering dude. Your future employees will be grateful.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

gently caress all of you for making me want prime rib for lunch.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Discendo Vox posted:

I have never been to as many brand new, completely doomed restaurants as I have over the past month in Charleston, SC.

You haven't been to Houston recently, have you?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Turkeybone posted:

Ha, well short story is when I hit 30 I asked "can I still be living this life at 40"? So I went back to school (I crashed and burned so that was the reason I fell into restaurants in the first place) and finished up my undergrad, and with restaurant experience and good excel/database skills I got a gig working at a wine distributor. Now my life is so comically easy in comparison I just have to laugh at the universe and actually fill my time with like, meaning and purpose beyond abusing my body. Oh and I do therapy now so that helps :)

I think most of us ex-industry folks have a similar story. I quit at age 25 after an absolutely miserable experience opening a restaurant and was completely burned out. I had finished up my undergrad already so I took a job in software sales just to get the gently caress away from the industry - there are certainly days where I miss certain aspects of it, but yeah, life is much easier in general since getting out.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

How much experience do you already have on your resume, and how important is career progression to you vs. Relaxing?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Well, there is that. And the inevitable lawsuit. But hey, Fairmont probably treats their people better than Compass Group.

Heh, I have a friend who just got a job there. No start date yet though, and I'm not even sure what she's doing.

Skwirl posted:

Still think he should've sued, then he'd own a loving hotel and could give all of us our dream jobs.

Now that he has a new job it would be a much better decision.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Not allowing spills even? Jesus. Mistakes happen, that's unreal. I worked at one club that didn't bother with a blind closeout, just made the tills match the ring. But it was a very professional staff (who would turn each other in for stealing, twice that I saw) and everyone (including staff) was making money hand over fist so nobody cared if an extra hundred bucks came out of tips. If the till was heavy it went to the staff, so at least it was fair.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

What I was describing was high volume, yes.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Skwirl posted:

I think the car industry is trying to kill them.

He's actually a shill for the lawyers pushing for more bike lanes.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Coming from Houston, that's really not funny right now. I've got too many other people to worry about. Thanks, dick.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Skwirl posted:

If you're not drinking or using other drugs there's almost no reason to not take as much to take as much ibuprofen or tylenol as you want.

ibuprofen is hard on your stomach, acetaminophen plays hell on your liver. So you're correct, but it's important to pick your OTC painkiller based on your habits.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Republicans posted:

Found a yo-yo I got from a Sysco vendor event and it reminded me of when my then-boss tried to take a full sized box of kosher salt that was part of a display, thinking it was a free sample.

You guys ever go to those? That guy loved nothing in the world more than free poo poo so he would go to every one and take me along in case he actually saw something he might want to try selling.

A friend of mine is the national brand manager (or something) for a distillery here in TX. A couple summers ago he needed a hand giving out free samples at some Texas Restaurant Association convention. Basically got to give out free booze, drink some, and get free samples of all sorts of stuff. Fun times.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Skwirl posted:

This is good advice, but also, if a busser or server has started clearing, absolutely do not stack anything on top of what they are already carrying unless they ask you, not even a loving fork.

I'd say just make it clear that you're done dining (napkin on table, utensils down) and let the server or busser clear it how they see fit. Different people have different systems, and I've run into one server who claimed it was against restaurant policy to stack plates (they had weird sort-of-square plates that apparently chipped really easily - bad decision for a restaurant). Certainly don't interrupt the process once someone has gotten started.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

So, post-Harvey Houston is under a curfew from midnight til 5AM to prevent looting (which means bars and restaurants are closing between 10 and 11). Every server I've talked to about it hates it if they work nights, every bartender I know is at least fine with it or loves it.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

CHUCK WAS TAKEN posted:

The bar tenders I work with usually rack up about $500 in 8 hours and then I take out their trash for them on the 17th hour of my double because "(they're) girls and cant lift it!" mother fuckers

From the people I've talked to, people are simply going to bars earlier and not sticking around to eat late/keep drinking at restaurants. Bartenders are taking only a slight pay hit while getting out hours earlier, whereas servers are seeing fewer/smaller checks, even though they're working the same shifts as usual. 17 hours is a long day though, drat dude.

Skwirl posted:

Put your napkin on the plate or next to it when you're finished with your food, if you're getting up to use the bathroom and don't want your plate cleared, put your napkin on your seat. Don't know what the guy was going on about napkins and syrup but I haven't worked in a dish pit for years so I'm probably forgetting something annoying, but paper napkins are compostable and you have to scrape a plate anyways, so you can use it to wipe the plate and throw it into the same bin as the food. Cloth napkins go into a laundry bag that's sent out, let them deal with sticky crap, they get paid for it.

This is pretty spot on, unless it's very very clear that you aren't done with your plate.

Shooting Blanks fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Sep 4, 2017

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i've come to think that one of the most important qualities of being an owner (besides not being stupid enough to own a restaurant in the first place) is the ability to set down a no fraternization and no getting high on the job rule and make sure it sticks.

I've never worked in a place that didn't have these rules, however they are incredibly difficult to enforce effectively. Getting high is a bigger problem in my mind - that just ups the chances of someone getting injured. Fraternization, if two employees can keep it to themselves then nobody will be the wiser. If they can't and it's a problem, just fire them both (especially if a manager is involved).

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

This is awesome. Looking forward to more.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Discendo Vox posted:

I can speak to this, I was at the NIDA conference in...I think it was 2009. There's no good research on the effects of botanicals that metabolize into caffeine, such as guarana. Some of them can have individual difference metabolic effects-hit harder, faster, worse side effects, whatever. I recommend sticking to stuff that just uses and refers to caffeine, and using the big names. The more obscure the company, the greater the risk the energy drink/pill/whatever is contaminated in some way. Monster is fine, they're big. Pills, and especially gums and powders(which are hard to keep pure) are riskier for being hard to manage dosage. A caffeine OD does exist, but it's not fatal, just incredibly unpleasant barring pre-existing cardio conditions.

As others say, coffee is almost always a fine choice. Try to not mix caffeine with other substances, it can genuinely gently caress you that way. There's a reason FDA came down on caffeinated alcoholic drinks.

As I understand it, the main reason they came down on caffeinated alcoholic drinks is because the caffeine can you keep you awake past the point where you'd normally pass out, which increases your risk of alcohol poisoning and death. Interactions with other substances aren't nearly as well documented.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Mezzanon posted:

When the prep guy grabs 5 wings that are frozen together you had better believe that the ice holding those wings together has an effect on the weight.

This should be your MOD's problem, not yours

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Mezzanon posted:

It was, but I was the first person who noticed that "pounds" made up of 6 wings were going to tables and taking 28 minutes to get there as an appetizer.

Kitchen Manager on Duty: "gently caress" *starts re-weighing wings*

I mean I mostly just comped the not-actually-a-pound-wings since they took 30 minutes and then sent a quick note to the GM.

At least it was taken care of in the best way possible.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

A Man and his dog posted:

I'm currently a bit in trouble with my job because of drinking. Haven't lost any shifts or anything.

But I guess it's fine that everyone else is hosed up on:

Weed, Pills, Marriage issues, child support, drinking, not showing up to work, paying us poo poo wages...

But me trying to have some cold ones after working 12 hour days IS THE PROBLEM. ..

You're cans only, right? Were you ringing them up (either paying for or comping them, if allowed)? loving with inventory is a huge no-no.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

twodot posted:

Do people actually do this?

I would have guessed doing this sort of thing would, at best, get you the world shittiest $100 batch of hush puppies. Never mind what other sort of violence it might invite on the rest of your food.

I once got a similar level of snark from someone who wanted chips and salsa. We were a BBQ restaurant.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Naelyan posted:

I will say that while I wouldn't ever do that with food, I did get pretty pissed off at one restaurant when I asked for an Old Fashioned and they told me they couldn't do it, when I could clearly see both bourbon and rye, bitters, and simple syrup in other drinks on their cocktail menu.

It's not that loving hard to make. Just put three things in a glass. See, look how easy it is.

Jesus, and that's a common, well known drink. Did you offer to give them instructions?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

The problem with martinis in particular is that there is no consensus on how to make them any more. Too many times I had people order a martini when they really just wanted a cocktail glass full of chilled vodka because they thought it made them look fancy.

If someone was specific (name your gin, dry, dirty, twist or olive) that's awesome. Otherwise it's a pain to make those people happy.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

The 80's are quickly becoming memory. It's everyone's duty to normalize it as a gin & vermouth drink nowadays.

I don't drink gin but I'd agree. Anyone that orders their martini dirty is scum, though, just keep it gin and vermouth with a twist.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

mandatory lesbian posted:

you "bartend" at a college bar, i get it, don't have to go on about it

At the end of the day, a job is a job and most of us do it for money. I made far, far more money bartending at a high volume nightclub vs. a cocktail bar.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Skwirl posted:

The guys youtube channel is howtobasic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urZf_7NuFvg

I still want to know what the gently caress that black thing is.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

That was my only thought.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

You don't need a muddler for an old fashioned.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Colostomy Bag posted:

Hmmmm, thought you needed to muddle the orange and cherries.

The orange and cherry - if you even expect to get them - should be the garnish. It's called a flag.

https://www.supercall.com/how-to/how-to-make-a-fruit-flag-cocktail-garnish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Willie Tomg posted:

you sick fucks have me brainstorming Old Fashioned creme brulee now.

Flame it tableside and this would be a fantastic presentation.