Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I don't keep up with this thread, so this is probably old news, but Employee-Level ServeSafe is currently FREE online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I've started buying restaurant equipment for my shop. Ugh, everyone in restaurant supply is dying, these poor salesmen are so thirsty. Usually its just the head of sales, because he's already laid off everyone that worked for him.

A guy called me back with a price for my scoop cases, and I told him that I was going to buy them from someone else (had to, due to franchise reasons), and I thought he was going to cry.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I'm lucky my mom, aged 72, is still a drat good seamstress. She is making some really nice masks for everyone at my store, several layers with-whatever-is-supposed-to-be-in-the-middle, and a cutesey pattern on the outside, to minimize the ninja effect. I've got a washer/dryer stack in store, so everybody gets a clean one for every shift, and doesn't have to take it home and/or clean it.

I'm looking out for my employees as much as possible.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Mike the TV posted:

That sounds like a great place to start, thanks guys. Touching computers has been a hobby for a long time. I have a decent savings so I have some time and money to invest. I've been in management for years and I'm pretty sure in the DC area there are a million unemployed restaurant managers and very few open jobs so this is a transition I deeeffinitely need to make

I keep saying this, because people need to hear it: the business is already GONE, and will take many years to come back.

Even if we "re-open" everything all at once, capacity restrictions and lack of demand (not everyone is ready to go out) mean that a lot of restaurants can't operate at peak capacity. And most restaurants scrape by all week just for the big nights, so even a small decrease in overall traffic can spell doom. Like that goon above, whose restaurant is at maybe 70%? Unless the owner has unusually deep pockets, I doubt he can keep that place open for very long.

And then, even if there was a magical vaccine that we could all take tomorrow, we are still careening into a major economic meltdown. That poo poo is always bad for restaurants.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Sorry to hear about your cat. My 17-year old puss is starting to get super frail.

Black August posted:

they're not gonna do this
the government and states will allow them all to die off

Mithross posted:

Of course they will let them die off. Big business can weather the storm, pick up all the cheap property, and everything can be chain restaurants as far as the eye can see.

Demolition Man was right and soon all restaurants will be Taco Bell.

I really wish I could argue with either of these but I just can't.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

If anyone lives near Plymouth MA, I'm opening a Fudge/chocolate/ice cream shop in August.

I mostly need seasonal teenage help, but I also need a few managers. Contact me here.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I seriously hope that this crippled re-opening puts some money in people's pockets, but I'm not ready to eat in restaurants yet. I know how bad people are about washing their hands, so I don't want to think about mask compliance in a sweaty kitchen.

Also, some of the outdoor seating I've seen in MA is WAY too close together.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Super unlikely to find someone here, but ever since Facebook got rid of the Jobs tab I'm not sure where to look.

I need a candy chef, part to full time, in Plymouth MA. Flexible hours, day or evening shift.

PM if interested.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Naelyan posted:

chefs aren't made of candy, mostly liquor and rage

I know, I know, I know....

I have some kids from the local highschool culinary program, and I'm always trying to gently warn them about what kitchens are like.... because my little candy shop is nothing like that.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I'm knocking on every wood available right now, but I've had zero candy burns in three years of cooking sugar. Two high school kids have gotten small contact burns on their forearms from cleaning the deep kettle when it's still hot (it's almost 3 feet deep), and one minor burn from the bag sealer, and that's it.

Well, early on I gave myself a small burn from the caramel. It wasn't even that hot, we were dipping apples, so it was probably down to 180-200 degrees. But that's the thing about hot sugar, it sticks to you like napalm: a little spot of 200 degree caramel can burn you way worse then touching an 800 degree pizza oven, because your reflexes will pull you away from contact with the oven. Everything we do on the hot side is well over sterilization temps, so we wear gloves strictly for our own protection.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Oh my dude... I had a similar incident with my brand new plumbing, dumbass teenage girl flushing tampons, combined with the clean out on the engineering drawings not existing.

The most practical advice I have, is you are going to have to clean it like three times.
My favorite degreaser comes from Restaurant Depot, let me go look it up.

One gallon usually lasts me a while, as you need to dilute this A LOT for most applications. This is good for the gunk that builds up on the door, the nasty fur that grows on the ceiling fan blades, etc. etc.

I would use that for the first two cleanings, and then switch to Windex with amonia or Lemon scented amonia for the last clean. (always dilute properly, of course)

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Does anyone have a cheat sheet for the ServSafe Manager? By the gods, this is boring.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

No, I just wanted a one-page review sheet for the test. All the acronyms, the key temps, etc. etc.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The Maestro posted:

I think they were more asking for a list of guidelines/regulations to post somewhere for easy access. Because like we’re all saying, it’s dumb easy to pass it but that doesn’t mean you actually retain any of the info

Yeah exactly, I'm going to sit through all 8 hours, I just didn't want to take notes.

Timby posted:

ServSafe is stupidly easy.

Ok, good to know. I know that the server level one that I currently have is stupid easy, but now I have to take the manager level, so I was assuming that it would be harder. Much longer, anyway.

My local health department, they let me operate for 3 years with only server-level, but when I went to pay for my annual permits, they were like, "oh, we overlooked that. Of course you have to have Manager-level"
Originally I was told that an Ice cream shop didn't need that.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Human Tornada posted:

Half the people I work with are emotionally 10 years old so if I buy a new tool for one station I have to be sure to get the exact same one for everybody else. Even if it's exactly the same as the old one, I'll still have two men in their 50s slap fighting each other over who gets the new $4 spatula.

This is why factories and repair shops make the guys own their own tools.

GoodluckJonathan posted:

The food manager one is much harder now, and has trick questions. Also some very technical seafood/shellfish questions. I recommend truly studying for it, or cheating.

Ugh, great. And to add insult to inury, none of that stuff applies to my candy shop.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Godamn, I hate that robot Doordash bitch. So doesn't care how busy and/or understaffed you are.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

True but does anyone

I had a temper tantrum yesterday when she called for the 3rd time at the exact wrong moment.

I actually glad that none of my employees were there to see it; I place a lot of value on keeping my cool in the shop.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Detroit style pizza is baked in steel pans, originally made by a company that made oil pans for the Big 3.

There is a new place near me making it, and before I tried it, I would have told you that I didn't like thick pizza at all.
Good poo poo.

tracecomplete posted:

how fortunate that all of you do not border rhode island

I feel your pain, but Mass South Shore Bar Pizza is worse.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Oh yeah, this place is named after the crispy edge.

One of my employees wasn't wearing her hat, so I asked her where it was.

So she hits me with: "Well, where is your ARM HAIR hat?"
I have to admit, she's got a point.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Oh hey, this one is local for me.

Shooting Blanks posted:

The restaurant owner is an idiot for pursuing this with the customer directly. Put the guy on your no fly list, eat the $250 loss, and wash your hands of it. Every time this happens, the business (restaurant or otherwise!) gets put on social media, and they lose almost every time.

Right, but she is known for doing this, and has mostly pulled it off in the past.

For me, the crux of the issue is that I think the customer is lying about how they handled it; the restaurateur would not have responded that way without a charge back.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Waiting tables is a very specific skill, having good people skills is not enough. Some people are just really loving good at it, and I always tip them extra.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

OK, passed the post test, now I just need the proctored exam.

Here is a deck of flash cards with all of the questions and answers on the post test:
https://quizlet.com/380133832/servsafe-test-flash-cards/?isSetPageSignup=1

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Passed the ServSafe manager test with a 92... and you only need a 70 to pass.

Yes, there were a few Gotcha questions, and some odd wording, or else I would have gotten a 100%. But here is the thing, most people could get a 70 just from the easy ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The QR code system that my franchise offered me is terrible. I'd like to customize my own content, so I'm going to get my own system.

Are there any QR code menu services that anyone can recommend?