Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
Good news: The only guy in the kitchen with anger issues/manic outbursts put in his two weeks. It's obvious he wasn't happy here, so good for him. Good for everyone else too, since a bad mood is really easy to share with coworkers during a dinner rush. KM has complemented my knife skills every time he walked past my prep table. I've only been here for two weeks but I might be able to escape the dish pit sooner than I thought.

Bad news: A horrific rash on both my ankles. I never spilled anything on me, no chemicals stored on the floor anywhere, my pants are clean and dry at the end of my shift. Got a few days off with a doctor's note, and the rash is slowly dissipating while I rest up. Bloodwork hasn't come back yet to see if it's bacterial, fungal, or "dunno lol"

I have tried in vain to get some actual work shoes. I don't care if they're cheap and need to be replaced every 6 months. I don't care if it's a big investment up front for something more durable. I just have 12-13W feet and even some wide sizes are not wide enough. In the mean time, I bought some gel inserts for the sneakers I've been wearing. Sore feet is no longer a problem, but I need to get more appropriate footwear before I slip and hurt myself or others. Last time I worked dish pit I ended up using really lightweight hiking boots that were water resistant and gave enough traction to safely waltz on greasy tile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

iospace posted:

I'd go to a local community college and see if they have a cooking program. If they do they might have shoes for sale there. I know mine does.

That's one place I never would have thought to look. Thanks!

I'm still catching up on ~50 pages or so of the old thread, but there was discussion about people eating off of half-finished plates that come back into the kitchen to be cleaned. I knew a dish guy that would snag french fries, wings, all kinds of finger food off a plate if the server didn't clear it before setting it in the dish pit. Everyone thought it was nasty as gently caress but the guy never got sick. One time when I bussed the bar, the bartender offered me the rest of their calamari plate they didn't finish. I brought it back into the kitchen and snacked on it, grossed people out before I told them it was the bartender's. Then they were all OOOOHHHH YOU PRETTY MUCH KISSED HER!! DID YOU GET HER NUMBER?

Acting like a bunch of 12 year olds is a great way to blow off steam at the end of a hard shift. Talking poo poo with/at the whole kitchen crew is a good, uh, "team building exercise" for lack of a better term. I've felt much more "part of the team" in every kitchen I've worked in than any other job I've ever worked. FoH seems to save it for the bar after you've clocked out but it's kind of the same there too. ONE OF US ONE OF US

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
I just peeled 150lbs of potatoes with a paring knife*, peeled 50 lbs sweet potatoes, 25lbs carrots, diced a 10 gallon bucket of stale bread for croutons, diced a case of mushrooms, case of strawberries, case of broccoli, fine diced a fish tub full of mirepoix. My hand and arm aren't even sore. What have I become :stare:

*they want super thick peels because they fry 'em and serve as a loaded potato skins app

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Skwirl posted:

You should get in the habit of saying "behind" and "corner" to the point you embarrass yourself in public because you say "corner" while walking on the sidewalk (what, no I never did that, you did that, shut up).

My kitchen worker shibboleth is yelling "COMING THROUGH, BEHIND!" in a crowded supermarket aisle.

I don't do it on purpose. It just happens when I'm trying to slip past a stranger.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Shooting Blanks posted:

Yeah, congrats! Good news is always welcome!

Especially in this thread. It gives a great audience to vent your frustration, and everyone commiserates. That makes the good news feel that much better. Everyone that has a good thing going for them gets genuine high fives. Y'all earned it, and we know.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

angerbeet posted:

I started volunteering with a local church that has a free lunch program last March, they eventually decided to pay me after a few months and I'm still there. It's really interesting, I've learned a lot about batch/bulk cooking, budgeting, making do with donations. Lot of interesting clients too, if you like that sort of thing.

We got a lot of plant-based roasted red pepper/basil/garlic dip today and I think it'll make a passable soup with some broth and maybe some (donated) cashew butter as it's cashew based in the first place. Or, it'd be nice on chicken over rice.

You don't know what you're getting in one day to the next so it's really interesting to plan a menu for the week - if you get a shitload of nearly expired donated pineapples on wednesday, do you do a pineapple upside down cake or hawaiian ham? It's a little different than cooking in a commercial kitchen and you do have to get along well with older ladies as it's kind of a staple of this genre.

Yesterday was supposed to be a break of sorts because a pizza chain was going to handle the food, but they kind of forgot or something and so it was shrove tueday pancakes, sausages, baked beans, the aforementioned pineapple upside down cake, fruit, and banana muffins.

Donations are wildly variable, we get a van in from another charity several times a week of the stuff Costco can no longer sell, and it's anyone's guess what's going to the be on the van. Personal donations are also wildly variable with some people thinking granola bars would be good (they are!) and some donating like 17 tubes of harissa.

I haven't worked in a kitchen for a while, and am probably better off mentally/physically for it. But I do volunteer in kitchens a couple times a year, it is a real feel-good experience to do something you are competent at, providing something for people that need it. I'm glad I'm there, because I am doing work, I am doing it well, and the work is being done for a good reason. You get up to some kooky poo poo making use of what you have on-hand as well. Overripe fruits + sugar + vinegar + butter/margarine + oats becomes an amazing dessert because your hands are there to do it.

Between that and going the extra mile sometimes when cooking at home, it satisfies the animalistic need to complete the imaginary tickets in my mind every time I make a plate of food.

Sometimes I still have dreams with the ticket printer sound, and I'm expected to produce [thing], and sometimes it has nothing to do with food at all I just hear the bzzzzt crkr and now I know I have to do [thing] FAST

I always wake up alert and refreshed after having those dreams. That's great at 7am. No so great at 2am.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

TheParadigm posted:

One of the absolute funniest pranks I've borne witness to was for a hotel sous chef that always, and I mean ALWAYS pranked people making hard boiled eggs by putting a raw one in the cooling tray. Without fail, you get a broken raw one when peeling.

When he finally took another gig, The shipping/recieving manager got him back real good on his last day.

Imagine, if you will, a breakfast cook getting crushed in the middle of a friday hotel breakfast rush, going to grab the next egg and crack it and nothing comes out. Not broken, not raw, just zilch.

So he grabs the next one, and the next one, and wonders if he found a glitch in the matrix.

You see, the revenge-getting man had waited for the rush and then replaced his ready-go stash of eggs on the line with all hardboiled ones.

Sous was in such a hurry he went through nearly the whole thing before he figured it out.

Grab, crack, wtf, pitch, repeat.

oh yeah that's the stuff

the kind of thing that is harmless but in the heat of the moment when someone loses concentration they will do a big loud swear and everyone else snickers because they were in on the joke, watching out of the corner of their eyes

:discourse:

edit: I think I posted this a while ago, but my favorite prank was on this line cook that would ask the bar for a 12oz glass bottle of Labatt or whatever cheap beer near the end of shift, to sip while finishing up and cleaning.

Our expo guy would sneak a spear of asparagus into the bottle and everyone would be watching for like 2 minutes until he took a swig and gagged. It never stopped being funny.

WITCHCRAFT fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Mar 13, 2021

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

droll posted:

Given current thread rhetoric on burning it to the ground, has this pamphlet been shared before? https://www.prole.info/pdfs/ar_english.pdf

It's like an alternate universe Chick Tract, exactly as strongly opinionated about the subject but the opinions are relatable and actually true.

I disagree with the part that says you only get better at doing your task faster and more competently because if you don't, the boss will yell at you. Yes, your boss will like you better (and better job security and chance of promotion) if you perform well, but that's not why you try to get better at it. If you're going to do something 1000 times every day at work, it is in your own interest to become efficient. It makes your job less of a hell to complete. And it is a tangible, quantifiable proof that you are good at doing things, you do them fast and do them well, and your work reference can confirm this when you are interviewing for a new job.

Fully automated luxury gay space communism is a good and cool long term goal, but while you are here in the trenches getting paid hourly to do a task, why not get good at it? You don't have to work harder to get more done. You aren't paid per market item produced.

Get good at a thing. The worst thing possible for you when you quit a poo poo job is to have spent those hundreds of hours with nothing to show. You're not getting a computer toucher cert, you're not getting a diploma, but you can still learn something, even if it's just the fastest way to dice vegetables or fold shirts.

Unless you are like, laying bricks for 12 hours straight, you can learn to do your job more efficiently and go home at the end of the day less exhausted. And it looks better on your resume to have a reference that's like "wow [username] works hard and fast, and picks up on technique" instead of just listing "chilis dishwasher" with your starting and ending work dates.

Outside of that, I agree with the communist manifesto restaurant worker comic book.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
oh also clinical depression throws a real wrench into those cogs! haha

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
Sorry I think I got into a drunken argument with a PDF last night.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
Congrats on getting out, it's a little weird going into a workplace where you have to filter your words instead of being encouraged to just get ribald as gently caress and everyone hoots and hollers.

I got really lucky in my first job leaving the restaurant industry, it was a warehouse where one of our biggest clients was a website where you could mail a bag of gummy dicks to someone's address with a note to "eat a bag of dicks"

When you are just constantly casually discussing dicks, in a 100% business sense, it's... not quite the same as working in a kitchen. But it has the same energy. I used to work in a kitchen with a guy that would sometimes fold the towels into a dick and balls origami at the end of the night and leave it on the clipboard that that GM would use in the morning for incoming deliveries. Anywhere else, you can't do that.

But seriously congrats on getting out. Kitchen work is brutal and gives you a work ethic and physical efficiency that puts you in another league when you go somewhere else. Doesn't matter if it has anything to do with cooking. Hope you land on your feet and hit the ground running. and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

AdorableStar posted:

Whenever I hear someone mention "Out of an 8 hour day people are only productive about 4 of those hours" or whatever it is I think to myself "drat office people are lazy and don't actually know work"

I couldn't do it.

I hate when an 8 hour shift feels like 12+ hours because of all the empty time when there is "nothing" to do. My butt/back is sore from sitting there or my feet are sore from standing there.

It's better than going home bone-rear end-tired and soaking wet and stinky. But both are inferior to being a bit busy all day. If I bust my rear end to exhaustion and past that I feel like poo poo when I get home. If I sit around doing nothing for half my shift or more I feel tired and drained and bored when I get home. Work at a nice steady reasonable pace all day, I feel great when I get off the clock. Still got some gas in the tank to do 110% of the housework and cook a real good dinner with leftovers.

That's my dream job. The Dick Warehouse was that, but they moved more than hour away and wasn't feasible to commute. So now I have a slow easy job where I get home and don't want to do anything, because I spent all day doing nothing. It pays the bills, at least.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

nudejedi posted:

Understandable, I'm only just getting around to re-realizing I have more value as a human than just lifer cook doin the work drink sleep repeat. :toot:

It's a nice little loop until it isn't. Reality has a fast forward button, but it's nowhere near as cool as science fiction would make you believe.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

AdorableStar posted:

My shoes are definitely not foodsafe.

I love in the winter time if I get snow in my shoes and it's like subzero outside when I take my shoes off to scrape the snow off of my socks before it melts my feet start steaming.

Like anime foot fetish art steaming.

It's pretty neat to look at because it's just normal body heat.

if you're a dishwasher, your entire wardrobe/body can do this when you go out into the winter cold

Nothing else is quite like taking a smoke break after closing time in winter. Sitting out back on a milk crate in complete silence after the dinner rush, big feathery flakes of lake effect snow. They are illuminated in orange and purple by the sodium street lights. Just sitting there in total silence after hours of havoc. Your entire person literally, visibly letting off steam like you're in some kind of reverse sauna.

Then you remember that once you get back inside you still have loads of dishes and the fryer needs to be emptied and then you have to clean the kitchen fuuuuuuuck

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Not trying to boast, but holy poo poo is it nice being able to wear my work boots around after work. Even if I was just swinging into Kroger on the way home, wearing kitchen sneakers absolutely covered in fry dredge, biscuit flour, hot sauce, etc made me feel like such a slob.

I had a separate drawer in my dresser for kitchen clothes. You can wash off the powder, dust, and crumbs but once a piece of clothing has been anointed with kitchen garmonbozia it is forever tainted. No laundry product can remove that black mark.

WITCHCRAFT fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Sep 4, 2021

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Lol at you babies actually eating during your shift. Everyone knows you only eat at 3am, and that's if you aren't passed out drunk by then #TRUECOOKS

If you don't eat dinner, that means you're drinking on an empty stomach. This makes it faster and cheaper to reach sweet, sweet oblivion.

It's common sense. It's science. It's a fact, jack.

and then when you wake up next morning feeling like death's breath, you get to eat your "leftovers" (actually the entire untouched meal) from last night's shift meal

I'm so glad this isn't something I do multiple times a week anymore.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

whos that broooown posted:

We switched to sysco because the local suppliers didn't have enough workers, and now even loving sysco can't find enough people to load the trucks.

Like we're going to the nearest restaurant depot every week and local grocery stores to get most of our poo poo right now.

I'm imagining when I would get asked to run to the grocer one block away for [X] every now and then in the middle of a shift

but like it's a whole truck manifest, cubic yards of veg or meat

rolling 3 grocery carts down the road back to work

lmao

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

whos that broooown posted:

I'm not taking my knives to work though. I care for my knives and don't want them to be exposed to this bullshit.

If you ever let one out of your sight it will disappear and oops it went through the dish machine. Wow the wood on the handle looks really weird and hosed up I hope this didn't have any sentimental or monetary value to you. Also we sharpened it for you on the dollar store knife sharpener I bet it cuts real nice now

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Rugikiki posted:

As someone in a similar situation (though I think a smaller college), tell me what it’s like to have a working dish machine these past few weeks?

That sounds brutal, especially the really crusty stuff from the kitchen rather than plates from a table. Saute pans and sheets with carbonized soot that was once cheese or gravy are a bitch to scrape clean by hand. Especially when a strand of steel wool gets stuck under your fingernail and agh ugh oooauugh this is against the geneva convention

the brillo done a war crime on my hand, take him to the hague

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Yeah hey we had a callout tonight, one more shift?

I had one job where I quit without notice and never answered a call or responded to a text from my former boss but he was shooting me texts like "hey we need a barback saturday" or "looking for extra kitchen staff for new years" almost 3 years after I quit.

It made me wonder how many people he has on a list for that. Just chum the waters and see if anyone will come crawling back for one day.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Black August posted:

Hey all. Just got back into the game last week after a layoff last December. Foodrunning and serving at a only-game-in-town high scale football pub. I'm walking like a demon but actually earning what my labor is worth in what must be a short-lived miracle, so I want self-care to perpetuate the gold rush; hoping to source everyone here fir any recommendations for REALLY good quality no-slip shoes meant for 10-hour days of powerwalking?

I don't have a specific recommendation, and I'm sure someone else will. I found that it's easier to find a cheap comfy pair that will last you 1 year before you wear them down into garbage and you just pay $30-75 yearly uniform tax to have reasonable shoes.

If you are on your feet going all about all the time, you want really lightweight stuff. It will rapidly erode no matter what material or brand it is. Find something that is comfortable for you that you wouldn't mind replacing once a year or so.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Elephanthead posted:

You can use that to repel rats and mice also.

When you are salting your doorways to keep evil spirits out, I find that fleur de sel has that je ne sais quoi to keep all but the most ancient and forboding beings at bay. Kosher salt is obviously better if you are dealing with Abrahamic entities but that's more of a niche, targeted thing.

(for real tho you can use all sorts of stuff like that to deter various vermins and varmints from getting into your poo poo, like diatomaceous earth for insects eating up your vegetable garden)

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
wtf you don't tong your wife

you tong your cat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgnBwm5nUrU

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Shabadu posted:

after going mostly unscathed from last november to now, omicron finally decimated our staff

maitre d, both daytime servers, maintenance, and breakfast staff are down for the count

thankfully this is a slow week historically since we close NYE through the 4th of jan, but gently caress

This is happening in a lot of workplaces in all industries ATM. Omicron is less lethal but much more infectious than what has been going around before. The post-holidays spike in cases is insane.

Just like any other transmissible illness, it is good that people try to stay home and quarantine when they are ill. God save the remnants of staff that are left to sort out the mess.

Had 3 people call out sick today, and 2 of them weren't even scheduled to work today lol. Hope they get their test results in a timely manner.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Skwirl posted:

unsolicited aura readings

Mrs. WITCHCRAFT works in a hospital and had a new hire give unsolicited aura readings to each patient they interacted with. And coworkers. The patients were not amused. Nor the coworkers.

How do these people end up being the most hire-able candidate? Out of tens and sometimes hundreds of applicants, that's really the best you can do?

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
What music do you play in the kitchen, and what music do you find to be the most accepted genre/style in your kitchen?

I loving love having some music going while I'm doing kitchen things. Something that helps you "get into the zone" rather than zone out.

I listen to weird gross music mostly but stoner/sludge/doom metal always seemed to go over well the the metal heads and prog rock folks, which were an overwhelming majority of people where I worked

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Wroughtirony posted:

just got to braise them long enough and the poo poo taste cooks out.

just marinate the turd in pickle juice or buttermilk overnight, it pulls all the off flavors out of the meat and then you're ready to bread and fry that sucker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
how does a stimulant get the code name "special tylenol"

caffeine pills are a legal over the counter thing why can't you just call it that gahhh. they make stupid diet pills that look like and have names like some kind of designer drug/research chem stimulant. you can buy them at a gas station or walmart.

handing out controlled narcotics to coworkers is already a very poor idea, even if you tell them exactly what it is. the fact that they had no idea it was a stimulant or a scheduled substance is

woof :unsmigghh: