Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

iospace posted:

I'd go to a local community college and see if they have a cooking program. If they do they might have shoes for sale there. I know mine does.

In a pinch, Payless sells kitchen-safe shoes (I think the brand is Saf-T-Step?) for less than $30. I bought the Chuck Taylor style ones when I got my first dish job and they held up p well for wading through puddles of 180 degree water in a high-volume, industrial grade dishpit. Never slipped, I only retired them after 6 months when they got cracks in the sides and I started coming home with Vietnam trench foot. Also, Payless is a godsend to the large-footed woman (I'm a 10 in womens, 7-8 in guys), I imagine they got yer size 13 back (foot?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

iospace posted:

Yeah... because of my clownfeet, all my work shoes are mens sizes because gently caress trying to find women's with them. I wear 13 mens, for what it's worth.

That's a new level of fun.

Ah, my bad, I didn't realize you were a fellow goonette. Still, Payless has been kind to my size 10 in women's, I'd be surprised if they don't carry something for a 13 in men's.

Also, 'sup new thread, if we're doing intros... former dishbitch for the Army (ama about working for a DFAC), now prep/line cook for a co-op's deli. You down with TVP? Ya you know me!

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

A Man and his dog posted:

Last week, I was taking back dishes and straight up ate poo poo. I'm talking full on fell backwards dishes breaking everywhere and the whole staff looking at me.

Awww, back at the DFAC we'd just say "AMahd broke his cherry!" and help you pick up poo poo. Happened to everyone at least once, though it was less an issue of slippery floors and more that we had gimpy carts with wobbly wheels or these things:

https://cdn.ckitchen.com/pmidimages/piper-products-2at6-sth-dish-dispenser.png

that would be missing the STAR Labs doohickeys that keep the plates in there.

My current gig, I can actually wear non-kitchen shoes sometimes because the floors are relatively clean and dry. I've only eaten it once, and it was because some shithead spilled olive oil on the floor and didn't give everyone a heads up that the piso was indeed mojado.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jul 20, 2017

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Tezcatlipoca posted:

gently caress all of this. If they are making money off of your labor then they should be paying you.

I put in... I don't remember how many hours (it was 20 yrs ago) as an unpaid intern in psych hospitals getting my MA in art therapy. Didn't even occur to me to get paid for it. Unlike other med/psych careers, this didn't even come with an unspoken "well if it works out you'll get a job here". You had to do it to graduate, and of course you got *~experience~*

It's just hitting me now how I not only paid for college but to be someone's unpaid whipping girl for 2 years, eating couscous made by schizophrenics while the docs all got to enjoy four star lunches paid for by pharma reps.

Somehow, the idea of doing a dish stage is still worse.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 29, 2017

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

It's a 3 year old article, but this just got posted over in the PYF Dumb Marketing thread, and I thought my industry brethren would get a kick out of it.

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-hedge-fund-presentation-on-olive-garden-is-a-masterpiece-2014-9

Unlike what Olive Garden serves, it's juicy, delicious, and done to a perfect roast.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Gotta admit I'm a little baffled as to how salting your pasta water leads to such colossal equipment failure that Darden thought it best to skimp on that. Obv I get that salt + water + metal = rust (I'm from upstate NY and old enough to remember when rustproofing your car was routine maintenance), but are they not washing the pots or what? Are they buying pots made from the undercarriage of my dad's 1979 Chevette?

When I was dishbitch for the Army, you best believe they had the cheapest, thinnest, weakest aluminum pots imaginable, but I never had one rust or break a weld, despite the volume of cooking for 2000+ soldiers a day. And hooboy did those cooks like to salt the ever-living gently caress out of everything, so that clearly wasn't a factor.

:iiam:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Adding to the above, if you ever ball up your paper napkin and stick it in your glass, I (and any other dishwasher) will come out and beat you with a dish rack.

And you wouldn't think I'd have to tell grown adults this, but ffs don't stick chewing gum to the plates. loving army scrubs used to stick that on the trays like they were in elementary school, and that was one thing our truck-sized Stero just couldn't deal with.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

My city had a pretty big case with a restaurant owner who basically stole all those withholdings instead of remitting them to the state and federal governments. While it's a crime for him to do so, the theft doesn't let the employees off the hook -- they still owe unpaid taxes.

Man, that's a big ball of suck for the employees. They really don't have any case in saying "hey, my shitlord employer basically embezzled from me/the IRS, go after them"? :(

Also, hello thread, after a hiatus doing political canvassing, I'm back in the kitchen. The crew was trying to spook me yesterday with chit-chat of "hey, when was the last time any fresh hires made it through a Saturday?" but I rocked that poo poo like a boss :getin: I am admittedly a little nervous about tomorrow's brunch, I've seen how people actually line up outside the door waiting for the place to open. I hear it's absolute insanity for the first half hour, then settles as the tables start flipping. Feh, can't be worse than my old dish job having 400 Army grunts/half-hour show up at the DFAC, but Uncle Sam only thought fit to provide us with 200 plates. I got this.

right? i got this? :ohdear:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Republicans posted:

You didn't get any of the parade crowd? A sister restaurant of ours is on a parade route and got slammed hard.

My breakfast place is on the route for next Saturday's Xmas parade :suicide: I hate the industry

In happier holiday news, the date for our Xmas party was announced. Our sister store is a BBQ/bar joint, so it's gonna be free brisket and beer all night. :toot: I love the industry

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

iospace posted:

The moments where you handle a busy shift and don't get in the weeds are amazing, I will say that

Yeah, our Sunday brunch this week was slammed, and I came home exhausted and aching to the bone, but still happy, because I've only been at this place for a couple weeks and not one ticket was holding because of me. :colbert:

If you watch Walking Dead: all I could think of was King Ezekial. "And yet I still smile."

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Main banquet lines, dry storage with rolling racks in the back, 3 fridges and blast chiller on the right, freezer around the corner, and 4th cooler behind me with 3 doors into it and the size of my apartment. Can't really get into anything, they're getting the vents up.and running and coolers as well.

ungh don't stop, just show me a pic of the dish machine/triple sink and I'll get there :shlick:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Each kitchen has 2 conveyor style Hobart dishwashers

yeah yeah I'm almost there

quote:

, and each has a decarbonizer.

I had no idea what this was until I just Googled it. (though google seems to prefer the term decarbonator, unless you're in the UK, and then it's decarboniser) Ooooooh, to have had one of those when I worked for the Army DFAC. God, do I NOT miss hand scrubbing 36 sheet pans of burnt-on bacon every Saturday morning. Without steel wool. Because, you see, our military can afford a sixty gazillion dollar F-35 that can't fly in the rain, but scouring pads/steel balls? Oh hell no

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Willie Tomg posted:

Reminder: the correct response to the callout "hot, behind" is "Thanks, I work out."

Add me to the list of people stealing this and using it tomorrow. As the person whose job it is to run a flaming hot sheet pan of biscuits down to the other end of our cramped kitchen, I'm usually the one yelling "HOT BEHIND HOT BEHIND OOO YEAH [line guy I'm delivering to] HAS A HOT BEHIND"

On the subject of call-outs: one woman there does this thing when she's on the line getting tickets. A new tix will come in, and she precedes her call-out with something that sounds like "newbies". Like her patter is:
"NEW BEEZ GUYS! DROP SPECIAL, DROP BRISKET, DROP CATFISH, I NEED TWO CAKES ALL DAY"

What does the new beez thing mean? I get in context it means just that a new ticket's in, I guess? Just never heard it before, and I'm a little embarrassed to ask, for fear of looking like a newbie myself.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Catfishenfuego posted:

Instead of trying to spot fake disabled people maybe consider the idea that many disabilities, especially mental ones, are invisible to random people in the street but this doesn't somehow mean you don't need a dog trained to help you when you dissociate/have a seizure/flashback.

It's a sticky wicket to be sure. There are bona fide service animals that help with things you described: seizures, PTSD, etc, where you might not spot the disability, but it's legit. Then there's assholes who milk the system and get a letter from a psych they paid to say their Paris Hilton purse dog is a service animal. These are the fuckers who ruin it for the folks you and I both recognize, and deserve to get the boot.

I haven't had any issues since I've been in the industry, but back when I worked for a public library, we had all kinds of service or "service" animals coming in. Iguanas, rabbits, birds... the official county policy was you could not ask for any ID or certification, just two questions.
"Is that a service animal?"
"What service does it perform?"
...and then you basically let them do whatever, unless another patron was freaking out about it. (Then it went above my paygrade, I'd just do a "not my circus" hand flap, call in a dept head, and be done with it)

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

I swear on my mom's ashes if I catch that new fry cook texting in the middle of our brunch rush tomorrow I'mma throw that iPhone in the fryer

Seriously, this guy's only been here a week, and he's already bitching about when he gets a break, is looking at his phone constantly, and was whining like a total pussy because he bumped into a hot sheet pan. Fucker, I got burns all day long on top of my arthritic T-rex hands that are 20 years older than you, suck it up.

...whew, I feel better now. Thank you, industry thread.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Skwirl posted:

I'm a server and even I know enough to not look at your phone during brunch.

He's so fuckin sneaky at it... I'm in a pickle here, maybe someone can give me advice.

I'm pretty fresh at this store myself, I only signed on in late October. That said, my KM, GM, and general crew have all said "hey JD you rock!/so glad to have you/yadda yadda" so I guess I don't suck, and my managers might respect my opinion. I take pride in my workplace, and want my store to succeed. We're the #1 rated place for breakfast in our city on Yelp and TripAdvisor for legit reasons.

Soooo.... am I a total douchebag for ratting this guy out if he's a slack-rear end? I really think he's gonna drag the place down, but I feel awkward bringing this up with the managers since I'm still kinda new.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Today's brunch, we were doing burritos filled with refried beans, peppers, onion, cheese, and eggs. Middle of a rush, I get the call: "WRAP, NO WRAP" Kinda locked up for a second there until I shrugged and plated the filling as pretty as I could and sold it.

5 minutes later: "OMELETTE, EGG ON THE SIDE" That one made the whole kitchen look up and freeze with a collective look of wtf, now you're just loving with us.

PYF crazy tickets

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Mezzanon posted:

holy fukkkin lol I'm so excited to enjoy my one day off between now and 2018 (that day is Christmas Day) :rip:

:( :hf: :(

Though I gotta say: my first real industry holiday party on Sunday night made it all worthwhile. I've never been to a shindig with an open bar where "open bar" meant "just go behind the bar and help yourself to anything on the bottom two shelves". And, oh, hey, there's jell-o shots, too? Y'all too kind...

Being at work at 4 am on Monday was sure fun, though

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

It's payday, we got cash holiday bonuses from the owner, and our KM gave us all individual stockings with a personal gift (I got a cool scarf) plus a plastic candy cane filled with airline bottles of vodka. And then, because we hauled rear end today, before she left the KM told us "there's 2 pitchers next door [our sister bar/grill store] for y'all". If you don't count getting actual PTO when I worked for a county library, this is the best holiday haul I have ever gotten from a job in my 27 years of being a working person.

Sometimes, the industry, she does not suck.

...now, get back to me in a few weeks because, over those pitchers, I just found out our breakfast joint is going to start to do lunch as well.

Though I was planning on being there some afternoons anyways; KM knows I make and sell hot sauce and fruit butters for farmer's markets (and goons), and the sister store wants to start canning their BBQ sauces for retail sale at our place while we're dark afternoons/evenings. So she tapped me to see if I'd want to do that, I'd set my own hours and have run of the kitchen to can my own poo poo as well. Yes, yes, I'd love to have a real commercial kitchen as opposed to my tiny apt range that my canner barely fits on, thank you very much

Mezzanon posted:

I'm hitting the wall here in day 3, and I only have 13 hours of work left for the day (only 8 of which are at the restaurant)

hang in there, hon :(

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

I made rumaki, but other than that phoned it in by buying poo poo liked smoked salmon and duck liver pate with a gift card my husband got from the co-op. Just grazed all day. And we're cat-sitting for upstairs neighbors, who nicely left a six of vanilla porter in their fridge for us. A Good Holiday.

We roast our own coffee in house, and sell the beans as well as the brew. The bag prototypes for our two new blends came in today, and the hazelnut is Dee's Nuts. Quaint southern farm picture and font, no indication of the joke. I love it. I dunno how FOH is gonna suppress the giggles when our grey-haired Sunday post-church brunch crowd comes in saying "I love Dee's Nuts! Can I get a sack?"

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

good news: holy poo poo I have 2 consecutive days off (wed & thur) for the first time in idk how long
bad news: guy gets 86'd, I agree to cover his Thurs
good news: I got bills to pay, and need the hours
bad news: I start feeling sick during tues shift, gets worse as the day progresses. My hair hurts, y'know?
good news: but I have wednesday off!
bad news: I waste a precious day off on the couch, eating canned soup, watching dumb youtube videos, and blowing my nose in between moans of how much my 43 year old joints ache when I'm running a fever
good news: actually got 8 hours of sleep and my fever broke, I get up at 0330 am Thurs and my nose is running like a dripping faucet, but yeah, I can schlog thru this
bad... wait... good news? : boss txts me at 3:45 saying we've been slow this week and I wasn't originally s'posed to be scheduled and they need to cut labor, "so stay home and enjoy your day off!"

I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm "enjoying" my inadvertently reclaimed day off, but lets all light a candle to St Lorenzo for this small miracle of timing.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Mezzanon posted:

Weird as gently caress post Christmas

That's been us last/this week. Last week, between Xmas and New Years, we were understaffed and absolutely slammed, I guess 'cause kids were out of school, and we're a breakfast place, so we got hammered between 9am- 1pm close.

We were open New Years Day for the first time in this store's 2 year history, and my KM kept saying "oh, we'll be dead" (based on what? we've never been open NYD) so she scheduled thin and left before we even opened at 8. Then the four of us left behind had our asses absolutely handed to us, line out the door from about 10 to close as everyone in the city woke up and decided to nurse their hangover with us. So from Tuesday on, she schedules a ton of people and then has been cutting like mad because now everyone's back to normal, and we're in that bomb snow cyclone whatever thing, so it's been negative a jillion degrees out, and no one's coming in.

I've only lived in this area for a year, and been at this place since late October, but so far my batting average with guessing how turnout is gonna be is way better than my KM's, who's a native with years of industry under her belt. Kinda frustrating.

edit: on a more amusing note: our walk-in is an outdoor unit, shared with our sister store next door. It's really, really weird to go outside, then in there to grab something, and think "oh, mmm, it's nice and warm in here." Even the freezer half is 20 degrees warmer than outside. Fuckin bizarre.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 5, 2018

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Naelyan posted:

Can I add some gluten free kale to that Mac & Cheese for you for just $2?

FTFY. Jesus, after working for that co-op deli, I never want to see kale again. I am so happy to work at a place that takes pride in the fact that our biscuits are made with lard. If we ever got kale (which would happen solely because our produce guy hosed up and delivered it by accident), I guarantee my boss would do something like wilt it in bacon fat. 'Swhy I love her.

Yeah, I don't know if it's post-holiday slump, people swearing off lard biscuits for New Year resolutions, or the fact that it's cold as gently caress (our outside walk-in feels downright toasty compared to the ambient temps), but today was the slowest brunch in my store's history. drat shame, this week's menu was awesome, but hey, more mussels in wine for me!

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Long story short, I bragged about my mad pickle making skills and now after trying them my KM is ready to tell US Foods "gently caress you, there's a new pickle in town" and I'm gonna be making our pickles in-house. I've got full rein of "just let me know what you need, and I'll order it".

Problem is, I have no loving idea how to scale this up. Can anyone here tell me approximately how many pounds, or cases, or whatever of Kirby cukes it takes to fill a 5 gallon bucket? When they're sliced? :psyduck:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Rugikiki posted:

We get fifteen pound cases, those almost fill a 22qt Cambro.

Thank you! Is that raw cukes, and what kind?

My biggest blindspot as a cook is that I absolutely suck at estimating sizes. Happens in all aspects of my life; if I see a highway sign saying RIGHT LANES CLOSES 1000 FT, I have no loving clue what 1000 ft is. In the kitchen I'm good with eyeballing small measures up to like 2 cups, but past that? Pyrex and scales are my friends.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Rugikiki posted:

They’re pickling cucumbers, beyond that I’m not positive. They look like all the top results for Kirby cukes on GIS, though.

E: and yes, they’re raw.

Thanks again!

I can say that in my latest gig doing mostly short-order fry stuff: I have gained an incredible sense of time from one to four minutes. I'll drop catfish in the fryer, go do something else, and just before the timer goes off I get wavy lines above my head like Spider-man, look over, and it's 3 seconds left. Much of my waking day is now spent in 4 or less minute increments. If I ever develop Korsakoff's syndrome from all my drinking, I'm still good to go as a fry cook.

Still can't estimate how many quart containers I need to portion out catfish, though. :smith:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

mindphlux posted:

yeah, couldn't you just get enough cucumbers to slice for a liter worth and do math from there? not that asking in here isn't an equally acceptable method

I have never been responsible for making huge batches of anything so honestly asking or if there's some dark scaling magic

No magic, just my mental hinky-ness is how many cukes to buy, as this would be my first time buying cukes by weight and in bulk. I have no concept of scaling weight into volume. Whenever I made pickles at home, it was a matter of "I have X amount of cukes I picked from my garden, and I can eyeball how much brine to make, or make more if I need it". My test run was regular cukes, not Kirbys, too, so I really had no idea what to tell my KM to order. Didn't want to order a hilariously large amount and waste food costs.

The one true heezy posted:

It's cool dude just mandolin 22qts of cucumber every 3 days

That's... what I did all the time at the deli I used to work for*? Only we didn't have a mandolin, I did it by hand. Next you'll be teling me I should be making more than $9 an ho---

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

la min wage is already $12/hour, lots of places that want more than bottom of the barrel at starting at around $15. and i think in san fransisco and seattle the floor is even higher

oh for fucks' sake

*edit: that was dicing and de-seeding for a tomato-cuke salad, so I kinda know what size cambro 20 lbs of regular cukes does, in that fashion.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 25, 2018

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

twotimer posted:

thats with all the minimum wage talk? is it common in the usa to earn minimum wage in the kitchen?

Here in Virginia, min wage is still the fed level of $7.25/hr. When I interviewed, the KM asked how much I was looking to get. I said $10, she chuckled and said "I don't think the owners will do that, but since you have experience, I can probably get you 9." And that's what I'm making. (Around here, that passes for "ok, but you sure can't afford rent without a partner/roommate" money.) So yeah, a wet-behind-the-ears grunt could very likely get min wage even at my city's #1-on-Yelp-for-breakfast joint. :(

Also, I just did my taxes, and I get to pay the IRS $58 for not having health insurance since I started there in October. :911: 'Murrica

In happier news, my job IS paying for me to get certified in process control of canned foods, since they want to start selling the hot and bbq sauces we do in house. It's an actual college class, I'm getting 8 credits through the University of Tennessee to learn all about processing low acid and acidified foods. My textbook just arrived via FedEx today, and I keep shoving my nose into it, literally, because gently caress I love that new textbook smell. Ah, to be 17 and in college again. :allears:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Wroughtirony posted:

Not only is "all you can drink" illegal almost everywhere in the US, charging a fee to come watch the Super Bowl on TV is illegal, too!

Most places get away with it because they only do it once a year or whatever and the cops have better poo poo to do than defend TV networks, but a decent handful of places get fined every year for these kinds of violations.

Can confirm; that's why smart places advertise their specials as "the Big Game" or in the case of my sister store's marquee, just calling it "Sunday's game". Here in VA the law is 45% of your sales must be food or non-alcohol, so they're not running any crazy bar specials, just lots of smoked chx wings. But if our brunch today was any indication, ain't no one coming out because omg there's slush on the ground.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

If one of y'all, say, cut yourself badly in the hospital kitchen, would you have to go thru proper channels of admitting and billing and all that jazz, or would some staff member be all "I got you fam, gimme a sec" and just sew you up?

Back when I was at the DFAC, we had two pregnant cooks at one time, both with hair trigger nausea. One couldn't set foot in the dish room because the smell of the trough that uses recirculated garbage disposal water would make her hurl, and that would set the other cook off. Then the first one would hear the second one gagging, and the two of them would be re-triggering each other in this ouroboros of puking.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Wroughtirony posted:

I realize I was born under an unlucky star or whatever, but I've never known of a workers comp case that didn't end badly for the worker. I remember one guy I worked with, his wife was nearly crushed to death when a filing cabinet fell on her. She was completely disabled and unable to work, and we bought their kid christmas presents that year because her worker's comp claim kept getting denied/delayed and they could barely afford to keep themselves fed, let alone buy toys.

Jeebus. :smith:

My husband went on comp when he worked for Trader Joes; he was the demo guy and made a total doofus mistake trying to hastily split apart frozen veggie burgers or some poo poo by wedging a knife between them. Knife slipped and he severed a tendon in his hand. They paid up, but only like 50% of his usual take home, and then we were in a "damned if you do/don't" situation because TJs wouldn't let him come back until the terms of the doctor's orders were fulfilled. Comp is nice if you legit can't work, as he really couldn't right after the surgery, but can bite ya in the rear end when it's a few months down the road, the bills are stacking up, and yet corporate says "well, you made a claim, so we can't take you back even if you say you can work again".

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Where does the peeled garlic come from?

pile of brown posted:

Industrial food processing machinery in Gilroy, California.

If you're lucky. When I worked at the co-op deli, our peeled garlic was "product of China". Always amused me that I was slinging free range organic gluten free fair trade non-GMO [insert food buzzword] seitan wraps to hand-wringing yoga moms that was made with garlic of questionable provenance with a Godzilla-sized carbon footprint.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

I was just posting over in "PYF things you just figured out", and the subject of the post reminded me of this bit of BOH humor. First place I worked when I moved to Roanoke, they had a picture of this fine actor on the door to the fridge:

it was the Christopher Walk-In :downsrim:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

mindphlux posted:

this legit bothers me

normal people who don't own businesses or work in supply chain or aren't kitchen slaves or whatever just have no grasp at all on the value of time, what things actually cost, where things in our everyday world actually come from, blah blah blah

there should be a 'capitalism/globalization 101' video or something entitled 'why do you even care, when you in fact actually have no idea and probably don't care, and if you want to care, maybe you will know how to care more effectively after watching this video' that every highschool aged person should be required to watch

As an aquarium fish nerd (see my username), I'd love to know how many people know that the catfish being served or sold everywhere as panga/swai/basa is the same fish as the "iridescent shark" you can buy at PetCo, just allowed to grow to naturally and not stunted by being cramped in a 20 gallon tank.

I got no problem with it, the fried pangassius I'm selling is delicious as gently caress. Also I just read that you can fake the funk on making unagi with it. I love me some eels, but have reservations since they're going extinct :( I wouldn't sell it as unagi, but for home use I'm gonna try it out.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

We get 50% menu price on the clock, nothing off the clock, and two free shift drinks that we're allowed to start drinking within the last 30-60min of our shift, depending on how busy we are.

Speaking of fryers, we have two and only two in our 12' stretch of kitchen behind the bar. We have 6 different kinds of fries, 30 different deep fried apps, are known locally for our wings plus have boneless wings and chicken strips. Our fryers get super hosed, and the amount of sediment that can build up in the bottom of them in a day or two is staggering. Also, working the charbroiler/fryer side is a constant time management puzzle and lots of fun. E: ask me about having Jalapeno poppers, 3 cheese jalapeno bites, jalapeno cheese bites, pepper jack cheese bites, and white cheddar red pepper bites all on the menu at a place with hand-written tickets.

loving hell, man. I'm regarded as the queen of the fry station, and I don't think I could handle that hot nonsense.

Out of curiosity, how often do you change your oil and clean your fryer? We're currently doing full changes and cleanings three times a week, but our sister store has switched from doing that to straining the oil every day, and doing a full change only once a week.

On the subject of discounts: we eat whatever the hell we want on the clock, and get 50% off anything from our store off the clock. We also get half off anything but entrees at the sister store, and $2 pitchers of draft beer. I think I lucked out in that area.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

empty whippet box posted:

Our fryer has its own grease filtering system, just push a couple buttons and it filters it and puts it back out through a hose. Soooooo much better than doing it the manual way.

I popped wood over that, and I don't even have a dick.

Even though fry is my usual station, I never had to clean it because we used to do it on Monday and Thursday, when the trucks come. Some unlucky schmucks would be scheduled to come in at 4am, and while they were waiting for Sysco and US foods to show up, they'd do the oil. Since we started using the fryer for brunch, now we do it Sunday, Tuesday, and Friday, and it's on me. I'm nursing a chemical burn straight out of the hand-kiss+lye scene in Fight Club from getting hot grill/oven cleaner on it, and I don't like this development one bit. :mad:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Holy hell. I dunno if I'd quit over that, but I would surely raise a stink to management that would rival that of your dumpster.

Our grill guy was uncharacteristically hungover yesterday, to the point of stifling back some gagging while bricking the grill at close. I volunteered to take his grease tray out, because I didn't want 1) to see him suffer any more and 2) to clean up his vomit if he puked all over the place

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Maybe I'm naive because my cocktails of choice are generally things like Manhattans, up, but is clear ice really that big of a deal? I've had some incredible cocktails during my multiple decades as a drinker, and I never noticed the clarity of the ice. Bad cube size, yes, but I've never stared at a g&t on the rocks and said, "hmm, these cubes have bubbles in them."

Not trolling, genuinely curious.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Field Mousepad posted:

I gave away my brunch shift today cause gently caress waiting on rich hungover white people. I don't care how good the money is.

Yeah I'm glad st pattys doesn't fall on a Saturday every year, because we got absolutely fisted during brunch. And being boh, that doesn't translate to extra pay.

Unless you count the extra hour I stayed after close because our dish guy didn't come in. :suicide:

Edit: also, if you are the FOH manager responsible for locking up, and boh is running late cleaning up because of being slammed and short two people, don't stand there and loving stare at us thru the pass. Pick up a broom or dry a dish if you want to get out so badly. I actually wouldn't have cared if she was dicking around on her phone or something, but for the last 20 minutes she literally just stood there and glared, like that was gonna get us all out faster. Wtf?

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 18, 2018

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

There's something to be said in being intrinsically happy at ones job. A year ago, I was working for the co-op deli where I was making $10/hr plus bennies like pto and insurance. But my KMs didn't even know what tamari was, even though it's in 75% of their recipes, and tried to make me pack out coleslaw that was obviously rancid ("just smell it, if it's okay re-pack and re-label it" :downs: (yes, I threw it out when they weren't looking, because I have loving standards)). And we had to pay for anything we ate, on the clock or off.

Now I work for a place making $9 w no bennies at all, but my boss has pride in her product, and so do I. She treats us well, listens to the boots on the ground as far as changes go, and lets us try everything we sell when not out and out saying "have you eaten? Take 5 and eat something." (Seriously, wtf is up with places where it's verboten to occasionally pick off stuff from the line? How am I supposed to know what you want in a consistent product if I can't try it)

That said: my ideal job as a line cook would be getting a decent wage while having a staff that is 100% behind our mission to deliver quality food made from scratch. As an American, I've long given up on healthcare benefits being a thing. Just acknowledge your heavy hitters, pay them a decent wage, listen to their advice since they're the ones out on the field, and we're good. And this job delivers on all fronts except the decent wage bit.

I also got to use our new meat grinder today, we're doing our sausage completely in house now, so I'm feeling a little :black101:

Edit: I'm coming off a long string of doubles and tomorrow's my first day off since I-can't-remember so yeah I'm drunk as poo poo right now and probably not making sense. I will accept any drunk posting probations due to me

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Manuel Calavera posted:

e - I'm still pro healthcare cooking. It may be boring, bland food (thanks cardiac diets and olds.) But I'm getting good money, a bit over 14/hr currently, with the cap of my current position being somewhere around 19. And it's a lot less stressful and easier than any other restaurant job I've had.

My km likes to regale us with tales of when she got in a fight, got her jaw broken in multiple places, and had to "eat" with her jaw wired shut for three weeks. She really liked me telling your story of getting tickets of "pizza, puréed". Yer doing the lords work, according to her. She can't even look at a milkshake now because that's all they sent her, and she kept yakking them up due to a bad reaction to her painkillers.

My mom spent the last few months of her life in a hospital fighting cancer, and the only thing she had to look forward to each day was lunch (which st joes hospital in Syracuse did admirably). I swear if I win the powerball lottery, I will start the most bomb rear end hospital food program ever, and you can be my highly paid consultant.