Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Upper Midwest frycook here. Chose not to go back to a semi-casual locally run attempt at better quality dining as they re-open in favor of staying at a divey sports bar because I get paid better than before and treated better than I've ever heard of in this industry. I recommend that anyone upset with their job jump ship for the "sellout job" at the earliest opportunity. Missing the creative element is a tiny price to pay when you make enough to try cool things at home and have the time and energy to do so because your boss treats you like a human being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Your friends at your current restaurant will still be your friends if you get a better job. Just because you don't spend a shitton of time with them at work, doesn't mean you stop being cool with each other. Plus, you can probably meet more friends at the new job.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Let me tell you how cool plating 2 hours before an event and bringing things up to temp in a Rational is.

ITS REALLY loving COOL!

e: this may be the lowest stress my job has ever been.

Rationals are fantastic, and getting to use one is one of a very small number of things I miss from my old hospital job. Grats on the chill position.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Hot takes:

Everyone in the house makes mistakes and being a petty little poo poo about it instead of moving forward to fix it is worse for everyone.

If your employer (potential or otherwise) isn't willing to play you for your labor, he/she isn't worth working for, assuming you have any other options.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Yeah the real problem is single shift unpaid stages, not the 1 year unpaid corporate internships, or the multiyear indentured servitude perpetrated by Disney and others.

Also, there is a difference between "chef" and "owner". One controls what we spend money on. The other keeps the gears turning.

If it makes you feel like GOOD PEOPLE when you berate and poo poo on some random individual chef for following the precedent set by the industry, cool, I'm happy for you. While you jerk yourself off, I'll be cooking food.

If you're as lazy physically as you are intellectually, you aren't a chef, you're a fry cook with someone else's checkbook. You can cry all you want about how we're being mean to you because we desire that people in a position to do the right thing to actually do it, but at the end of the day, you're the hack who's jerking off. The real entitlement is someone with a steady paycheck complaining that people who don't should be able to afford to work for free.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

the great deceiver posted:

i took 3 days off from both of my jobs this past week so i could go camping with some friends i hadn't seen in a while; gave both jobs over 2 weeks notice. went in to get my paychecks friday morning and got a guilt trip from both of my bosses at both places for taking a couple days off- this is first time i've ever taken any time off at either place. i get home today and find out that they were so bitchmade and pissed they went and updated my schedule and took me off another 2 days this week at job #1 and one day at job #2. basically means i'm going a whole week with no work/no pay. so loving lame, sometimes i hate this industry

You have every right to hate this industry when your bosses treat you like poo poo for daring to be a human being and spend time with people you care about. I wish it wasn't the norm, because then I'd advise you ask each boss why their failure to do a good job staffing and running their kitchen was your fault to the point that they punish you for it, but I know that there really aren't jobs in real cities where you aren't underpaid and replaceable and life isn't poo poo. I don't know why people who live in real places put up with it, because if the cost of living here weren't so low that it was easy to be "responsible" without even trying I'd have never left a desk job for this industry. No amount of passion is worth more than being able to provide for your basic human needs.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

iospace posted:

Hell is co-workers

That's why doing the friday closing shift solo is so rad.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
I, on the other hand, got a degree first and decided afterwords that I should take the opportunity to do something I love for a living instead of rotting at a desk while my body can still handle it.

Also, exciting times at my place of employ. Our best cook put in notice so he can move to be with his girlfriend and get out of the industry, and a good but sometimes to stoned to be good cook is highly suspected to be stealing from the till, but has been disguising it well enough that the cameras haven't given us concrete evidence. But all but one of the times the till has been short, it's been on his shift.

Speaking of things caught on camera, our best bartender by far burned the poo poo out of his hand a few nights ago. His story to the other employees was that he was cleaning a fryer and slipped and dunked it. The cameras show he was drinking with his friends after locking up and tried to cook himself something, and dunked his hand. The very next night, our very part time bartender (who has been working there since the bar's previous owner over 12 years ago IIRC) was also caught on camera drinking with people after lockup without paying, including with the manager's girlfriend, who didn't make it home until an hour after they left the bar together.

It's a regular shitshow, but none of it falls on me, and I'll probably get a few more hours out of it. Sad to see our best cook go though, he's a great guy.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Went to the middle-of-nowhere bar where one of our regulars works for the first time. It's got something like 9 co-owners, mostly farmers who just want a place to drink, and it makes no money whatsoever it's perpetually for sale. Our regular knows it, and doesn't give a gently caress about her job as a result. I ordered a whisky neat. This is what she served me (photo taken after my first sip):

She did not charge us for our drinks. drat good thing I had a DD.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Irving posted:

Which part of Wisconsin are you from?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-ZHkZzdjBk

I once a few years ago was at the bar in my lovely college town that tries to be classy and ordered an old fashioned, and was served a brandy old fashioned as described in that video. The bartender had no idea that there was any other drink called an old fashioned, and clearly thought I was an rear end in a top hat for being confused and a little upset. "Uh, yeah. An old fashioned has brandy in it. It's a brandy old fashioned."

No, I don't live in Wisconsin.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Cross posting from the restaurant reccomendation thread since it doesn't see as much action:

If you could eat anywhere in Portugal and someone else would pay for it, no matter what, where would you eat? Because that's the situation for my honeymoon in June, and goddamn if I don't want to eat at a Michelin starred restaurant at least once in my life. My fiancee is allergic to shellfish, but other than that, we'll try anything, especially if it's spicy.

Also, if you know any places there with good traditional charcuterie, I'd love to hear about it.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
We've just hired on some new people, one to try and replace a fantastic cook who got a degree, fell in love, and moved up in the world, and another additionally to possibly replace that guy because he's having a hard time hacking it, or if the first guy figures it out, one of a couple other gently caress-ups. One that treated a couple customers like poo poo while he was off the job but drunk as gently caress at the bar (pretty normal for our dive, but not the driving our customers away part) and another because he's a moron who couldn't graduate high school and refuses to follow sanitary procedure an takes every shortcut he can because he's a total shoemaker and thinks he's king poo poo. Either way, I'm the guy training the new guys in while people what their replacements settle in with a terrified look, and it's a relief to know we're shedding our gently caress-ups.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Mezzanon posted:

Having a wonderful time working a shift that I’m technically unavailable to work, I have two more shifts this week that are on my “mezzanon cannot work these days” schedule.

The first time anyone shows up for a shift that he/she said well in advance he/she's unavailable for is the last time the scheduler cares or believes him/her concerning unavailability. I'm not saying that it's right and I understand some folks can't afford to risk their job saying no, but I firmly believe that's a lovely truth at most food industry jobs.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Loutre posted:

I once ate at a Golden Corral in the Southern U.S. on Thanksgiving Thursday. (Away at college, no car, and a friend's grandma was paying for it)

I can't think of a worse thing I've ever been a part of.

Once in college I ate lunch alone at a Perkins on Valentines day. It was not a proud moment.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

SHVPS4DETH posted:

i aspire to one day haunt this straunt as a gnarled figure in pinstripe pants growling "fiiiiiifooooooooo" at anyone who will listen (no one will)

No one ever does :(

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
It doesn't matter how many times I explain that being a line cook is NOT the same as being a chef, my mother insists on telling everyone I am, along with a few other people in my life. While it's probably not true for other people, I've found that whether or not people care about being accurate and not mocking me and the profession with the ol pat on the head "Oh but honey, you're a chef to meeee." garbage is a good metric for whether people actually give a poo poo about you as a person or they just want to say their son/whatever is a ~*Chef*~ at dinner parties to tray to make themselves look good. They are also generally the same people who feel that it's okay to come in to my place of work to chit chat in the middle of rush and then act hurt when you can't drop everything to have lunch with them.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
We've got a new server, and holy poo poo have I taken a dislike to her fast. She only wants one or two shifts a week, only wants Friday/Saturday nights, so she's already just there to soak up money shifts where we need our good servers, and a good server she is not. She needs to be told three or four times where a plate in the "window" goes, sometimes even when the ticket is sitting in front of said plate, which means cooks need to go back and tell her over and over while the plate takes up precious space in our combined drink and food pickup spot at the bar. She then sometimes still takes food to the wrong place, which generally means we have to re-make it because people are poo poo and are happy to eat an app they didn't order because they know they won't have to pay for something they got by accident.

She can't keep her credit cards and slips straight for tables where people split checks and needs to have us dig tickets out of the tray for finished tickets mid rush, which then then puts into the pile for tickets that need to be totaled into the till, even after being told why this is all a bad thing. Her response was "What, can't you handle having to sort through them again? Is it just too much for you?" Coming from the person who can't keep her poo poo straight, it's pretty rich, but she's that condescending and assholish to everyone. Any time there's a hold or special request on a ticket, she calls the cook over to explain like we can't loving read. "Hey, you know the sauce that comes on the X burger? The southwest sauce? They want it on the side, okay?" *Hands over a ticket with SOUTHWEST SAUCE ON SIDE ONLY written on it* She chews people out like she's their manager (oh, I'm just joking around about it! teehee!) but always has a reason it's someone else's fault for her constant fuckups. She's serving with the owner's wife today, who already dislikes her, so hopefully she gets an attitude adjustment, or better yet a trip out the door.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
If we’re only when it’s something weird and she were nice about it it’d be one thing, she’s pulling cooks aside and talking to us like toddlers to let us know that the burger marked “well done” needs to be well done.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Mezzanon posted:

Picked up a day shift today and when I walk in I get told that there’s a reso for 25 at 3:00 pm. Sure I can handle that. 15 kids 10 adults. Then I get told they pre-ordered the food for the kids, sure even better.

3:00 pm hits, 40 people walk in and say “we are the reservation”

Our dining room seats 45 max, so booking it off for 25 was a problem. Also they brought a sheet cake and yell at the manager when he tells them there is a cake fee for bringing your own desserts. I tell them I don’t think I have room for a group of 40 and the alpha bitch just goes “you WILL accommodate us, we are BRINGING you business.” Lady the restaurant is full and I have a twenty minute wait list

Anyways, we end up seating 12 of them in the bar and 28 in the restaurant, the pre-ordered pizza comes out and also 20 people want to order additional food and beverages. Two hours later they want the pre-ordered food split between certain people and also for me to combine the bills of certain moms with certain children with certain dads. Everybody is telling me jersey numbers because they’re a sports team but none of the kids are wearing jerseys.

What a gently caress show. Luckily I keep insanely detailed notes so I could split all of this bullshit.

Fuuuuck that, you're a god amongst men for putting up with that poo poo.

Trebuchet King posted:

midwesterners.

As a midwesterner in a tipped position, absolutely yes.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Mezzanon posted:

Just lol if you’ve never had to serve a table of hudderites.

Wait, where do you live? I thought hutterites were a relatively local thing. If you don't want to say, it's not a problem, but it'd be interesting if we're in the same area.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

The General posted:

I'll let her know, but odds are it won't do anything. She's young, and definitely not down with starting anything with her boss. Not that I am any better. I am well aware that doing training at home (as told to by my boss) is still work training and I should get paid for it. But I still did some of my modules at home because it'll just lead to getting fired. Or getting to keep my job, but wishing I was fired.

How well do you like your current job and how available are jobs at decent places in town? Because "I know it's illegal but they'll fire me if I don't do it" is the kind of statement that sets off red flags in my head and makes me think a person should consider applying elsewhere.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
At my old restaurant we did our own pickles and we just mandolin'd em 22 qt at a time, it didn't seems that bad to me. It also looked kinda funny to be wanking a huge long cucumber back and forth on the mandolin on the bucket in the open kitchen. It was nowhere near as dangerous for my fingers as mandolin slicing radishes to pickle (gently caress that noise).

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Yeah mine is like 2500 a month. That's one of the reasons I'm accepting a Midwest position. Same salary way lower cost of living.

Welcome to the boring but secure life. It's not too bad if you're into drinking and the outdoors.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
For the Super Bowl, our bar does a door fee, the kitchen is closed and there's a free buffet, and all drinks except shots are free. I volunteered to work bartending and refreshing the buffet after I found out that last year each employee walked with over $400 in tips. Most employees care too much about the game and enjoy the fact that we get free entry to want to work, but I don't give a poo poo about football, and for that kind of cash, I'm happy to weather the storm.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
It ended up not being a door charge, but a special people could opt in to. Possibly still illegal but it happens every year I guess. Either way I went home happy.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
The real trick is to work for a mildly sketchy joint that overpays the poo poo out of you to keep your head down and do your job, regardless of minimum wage.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
When I worked in a hospital kitchen, I don't think such a thing ever happened during my time there, though I know a lady had, before I was hired, sliced off the tip of her finger cleaning the slicer and they said they sent to the the ER to get it fixed. I don't know if she had to pay for it, but my guess from the way everyone talked about it is that she didn't.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
We get 50% menu price on the clock, nothing off the clock, and two free shift drinks that we're allowed to start drinking within the last 30-60min of our shift, depending on how busy we are.

Speaking of fryers, we have two and only two in our 12' stretch of kitchen behind the bar. We have 6 different kinds of fries, 30 different deep fried apps, are known locally for our wings plus have boneless wings and chicken strips. Our fryers get super hosed, and the amount of sediment that can build up in the bottom of them in a day or two is staggering. Also, working the charbroiler/fryer side is a constant time management puzzle and lots of fun. E: ask me about having Jalapeno poppers, 3 cheese jalapeno bites, jalapeno cheese bites, pepper jack cheese bites, and white cheddar red pepper bites all on the menu at a place with hand-written tickets.

Oldsrocket_27 fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 10, 2018

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

JacquelineDempsey posted:

loving hell, man. I'm regarded as the queen of the fry station, and I don't think I could handle that hot nonsense.

Out of curiosity, how often do you change your oil and clean your fryer? We're currently doing full changes and cleanings three times a week, but our sister store has switched from doing that to straining the oil every day, and doing a full change only once a week.

On the subject of discounts: we eat whatever the hell we want on the clock, and get 50% off anything from our store off the clock. We also get half off anything but entrees at the sister store, and $2 pitchers of draft beer. I think I lucked out in that area.

We do a full boilout and oil change twice a week, and it should probably be three times, especially when we're open Sundays for football.

Also, in practice the menu isn't as hard as it sounds under normal conditions. There are that many options on the menu, but there's a much smaller grouping that gets regularly ordered in practice. I don't know we even keep reuben bites or fiery fingers on the menu at this point for as often as I see them. There's a lot of stuff that can be dropped together like chicken strips with fries, which is especially easy when stuff has the same cook time. On wing nights, you can just keep two baskets full of wings at all times and then have one basket for fries and one that can be used for apps that can basically always be down and you can just pick stuff out when it's cooked and drop in the next thing. Some stuff like cheese balls or shrimp baskets will need their own basket because it's too annoying to pick them out from other stuff, but with stuff like jalapeno/cheese stuffed shrimp, mozz sticks, cordon bleu bites, etc. you can just keep a mixed basket rolling.

E: Today was non-stop orders for 6 hours straight, the new oil already looked dark when I left at 5. On the other hand, the tips were solid, so I really can't complain.

Oldsrocket_27 fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Mar 11, 2018

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
That's okay, if FOH are the kind of people that sigh and piss an moan because they're expected to do their loving jobs on the clock instead of dicking around on their phones while also taking home more money than all the other people in the restaurant busting their asses then who gives a gently caress if those lazy shitbirds hate your guts. Yes everyone deserves more than minimum, but servers easily make the most regardless, and if you're too stupid to understand the connection between a clean dining area/possessing silverware to eat with and a positive dining experience that will influence people's attitudes come tip time, then you're as dense as you are lazy.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

JawKnee posted:

Lol if you think excellent service equals more tips on average than just regular effort service

I work at a place where I’m expected to tend bar and wait tables in addition to cooking if the restaurant needs it, I get a cut a of the tips, and if you aren’t bad at your job it absolutely does.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

JawKnee posted:

I put 10 years into FoH across my city in venues that ranged from fine dining, to sports bars, to punk vegan joints, to breakfast places (my favorite service), to hipster cocktail joints; I think I was pretty good at those gigs, and was as often behind the wood as on the floor waiting tables.

the difference in tips received for great vs. just normal service is around 2%

So you're arguing that doing a better job does earn you more tips, but you just don't think it's enough to be worth your precious time? In a discussion where it's being argued that you're not making enough money to work hard, you provide evidence that working harder does in fact make you more money, also including this quote, "The inability of servers to see the relationship between tips and service is important because tips will not motivate servers to deliver good service if the servers do not believe that better service results in better tips." in regards to 50% of servers not believing that better service yield better tips. The study's claim that the correlation is so weak as to be meaningless in the same breath as acknowledging it's consistent existence across a range of studies is as foolish as your continued assertion that being lazier and doing a shittier job is somehow a solution to being underpaid. Lord knows nothing motivates management to pay an employee more better than that employee doing a poo poo job.

I do believe that minimum wage is garbage, nowhere near a living wage, and less than anyone in the US should be paid for any work. I want to be on your side here, but you can't use low pay as excuse for not doing your job, especially when that's the sort of behavior that traps you in poor wages instead of earning you raises.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Catfishenfuego posted:

Have you like, never heard of a strike or?

Organizing a strike and not cleaning dirty tables as a server because you make minimum wage are miles apart, but thanks for dredging this argument back up from pages ago.

My whole argument sprang from Skwirl's post about "don't expect servers do perform basic functions of their job" post and every post since then in his defense since then has been walking it back and trying to claim it's about the larger issues regarding pay in the industry. The jumping back and forth between an individual's actions and the state of the industry to play whichever part of the argument suits you and ignoring the rest is stupid. I'm aware they're interconnected issues, but pretending the micro and macro can't examined individually is just another distraction from the fact that this whole argument started because someone claimed that if you don't like your pay, you shouldn't be expected to do the parts of your job you don't feel like doing and once everyone jumped in to defend that statement, they've been nothing but intentionally obtuse at every turn.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

I wasn't saying servers shouldn't be expected to help clean tables, I was saying they don't enjoy it and inventing new, silly bits of side work like whatever is involved in making perfectly clear ice, would be incredibly annoying.

You said cleaning table and rolling silver was "pointless busy work" to the same degree as making perfectly clear ice, which was being presented as a better use of on-the-clock time than dicking around on facebook. Having silverware and a clean table is definitely more important than crystal clear ice, and working when your on the clock, even if it's piddly busy work, comes before wasting time on your phone. Your statement implied that those things weren't true if FOH isn't getting paid more than the legal state minimum. It may be lovely work and it may feel shittier when you're underpaid, but it isn't pointless or less important than phone time.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Got my first Saturday off since sometime during football season today by chance, and my favorite Mexican restaurant has $2 off ALL alcoholic beverages. Time for a kickass margarita day drunk and tender tender pork smothered in spicy green tomatillo sauce.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
The amount of “no X” on tickets for items that don’t contain X or “sub Y/ add Y” on items that the menu clearly states contains Y is impressive, but I generally chalk that up to tickets being hand written and the server simply writing down whatever the customer says. This also leads to things like “extra extra very extra crispy “ on people’s fries, etc. not the end of the world, but occasionally annoying depending on how railed we are at the moment.

E: far more annoying is hearing a server ask if someone wants any cocktail or tartar sauce with their shrimp basket and getting a “no thank you,” only to have the server come back asking for a side of cocktail within a minute of the basket being sent.

Also, it’s high school graduation this weekend, so we have a fuckload of roasters of wings ordered for kids parties, about 5000 wings across the weekend. I spend a good 2 1/2 hours loadin and re-loading the four little fryer baskets that could this afternoon, and to be honest, it was pretty relaxed for the amount of food being made.

Oldsrocket_27 fucked around with this message at 01:06 on May 19, 2018

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
One of boss's dumb retired farmer buddies ordered shrimp, of course he didn't want any cocktail or tartar. Then when he got the basket, he said he wanted tartar. When I gave him tartar, he looked and it, and and threw it skidding down the bar and said, "No I want tartar sauce! With the ketchup and the horseradish! Tartar Sauce!" Yeah sure, dipshit, here's your cocktail sauce, go throw another few thousand dollars at the video lottery and shut your stupid mouth.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
We go through 12-16 gallons of ranch a week, depending on how busy we are. Our seating capacity is 88 people.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
I keep having to explain that poo poo to my mother. She has a book called "The 4-Hour Chef" with a dumbfuck chart in it that show that well, there's your in-charge-of-the-kitchen/fine dining chef, and then there's your Line cook chef, and then your fast food worker level chef, and at-home chefs! It's the dumbest possible thing and since she's a boomer who's made up her mind, no amount of reasoned and measured explanation will convince her otherwise. I certainly tried (you don't call everyone in the military Captain, do you?). So she bought my brother and I copies of the book for Christmas. I have refused to read it on principle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
It’s one part of why so many people in the service industry smoke. Your addiction magically entitles you to an extra 30-60 min a shift (depending how lovely you are) of paid break time while the rest of the restaurant picks up your slack.