Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

pentyne posted:

So, ceramics are better/worse? I had a knife shop sharpen and grind out some dents and bends in my chef knives (8 in Shun/Henckel) and the guy who seemed like he knew what he was saying was that for casual use using a ~$40 set of ceramic honing rods was better then trying to master sharpening on a stone because until you get the hang of it you'll gently caress up the angle more often then not.

Steels, ceramics and sharpeners are separate but related things, on top of that what they do depends on the hardness of the knife. Softer "German" steel knives have edges that tend to roll over under pressure, for those a steel works well since the steel can be bent back to its proper shape, on harder steel knives this does not work because the edge does not roll, it just slowly wears away. Ceramic rods are textured and hard enough that they remove steel, so they are closer to actual sharpeners. Sharpening stones and other abrasive systems are for removing steel and remaking the edge. I recommend a guided system like one of the edge pro knockoffs, they are reasonably cheap and will put a decent edge on a knife while maintaining a proper angle. If you just want to hone the knife and leave sharpening to a pro then a ceramic rod is a good option, just use a light touch with it since it does actually remove material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Willie Tomg posted:

Amazon from some chinese vendor, I really don't remember without going through my order receipts from like three years ago. The stones were pretty legit, and the general concept of the machine is obv. sound, but the angle guides were totally off and the suction cup lasts maybe 5 strokes before wiggling loose from the countertop and unless you're leaving the thing out all the time, in the time you setup and dial in your edge pro to begin sharpening you could have splashed-and-gone on a splash-and-go stone, and I really don't like spending more then 5-10 minutes giving the set a touchup semiweekly. YMMV of course, but once you get a handle on Stone Anxiety its pretty hard to justify whipping out Some Gizmo.

I'd say that whether one or the other is better is up to the individual, some people just can't hold a consistent angle freehanding so a guided system is going to be better for them, I eventually splurged on both good stones and a good guided system and settled on the guided system. I will say that the good versions of the guided systems are far better than the knockoffs, so much more stable and a lot more accurate on angles.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Hey guys, I mostly just read the thread but I saw this and thought I'd give you a heads up:
https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/937815894331293697

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

So you have reservations for making reservations? And no control over the first set of reservations? :laffo:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Yeah this. I lurk this thread because I don't work in the restaurant industry but as a customer that is annoying as poo poo. Airlines do that poo poo too so the price estimate on the website is as low as possible. Put the prices you need to charge to pay a fair wage and benefits and don't gently caress with the bill like that. If I see a restaurant doing that I'll pay the bill and never come back again.

It's not about not wanting restaurant employees to get healthcare. Everyone should have healthcare. It's about charging more than what's on the menu for one of many costs to run a restaurant. We going to get tablecloth, clean dish, food supplier delivery fees next? Doesn't matter if they note the change everywhere, it's still deceptive because it's obscuring the actual cost behind ticky-tack bullshit.

Now if it's city law that they have to do this there's no need to get pissy at the restaurant it's just a really weird way to get more people in the city healthcare because this country is dumb. But if it's at the owner's behest it is just an attempt to trick and exploit customers and hide it behind some sense of altruism.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

There's no springing. It's on the website, the menu, the reservation form, the reservation confirmation email, the reminder email etc.

:shrug:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

virinvictus posted:

A week in, any Ontario folks in here- how are your restaurants handling the wage transition? Work for a sorta chain and they focus primarily on speed of service and penny pinching, so they cut the hours of my staff by a disgusting amount, all managers in-store lost the ability to schedule, and now a guy who doesn't know our staff is handling the entire store schedules.

Three of our stronger servers are looking for new jobs, our cooks that were making higher than minimum didn't get a pay bump to match so are looking for new jobs with less responsibility for same wage-

It's a mess.

Please tell me other places still treat their folk with dignity.

Also just found out that they haven't paid our plumber in six months so he's straight up refusing to come in to repair my dish pit.

I feel like this ship is made of red flags.

That part alone tells me that you work at a lovely place run by morons, get out ASAP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Skwirl posted:

https://twitter.com/MurderBryan/status/960605174971752449

Like, I'm the type of pedant who always says "I'm doing well" instead of "I'm doing good" if some one asks how I'm doing, but I'm not the type a pedant who says "Superman does good, you're doing well" to other people.

Hmmmm, I wonder if he left a tip? :thunk: