Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

What if you never had hope to begin with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

JawKnee posted:

OP should have a big sparkly text gif saying DON'T WORK IN A RESTAURANT

fixed

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, question. In the US, does overtime kick in at 40 hours a week, or is it supposed to kick in at 8 hours in a day?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

pentyne posted:

Also if it's the 7th consecutive workday in the pay week even if it's less then 40/wk for some bizarre reason.

That's not a bad thing. It gives companies an incentive to not schedule someone for 7 straight 5 hour shifts, which would be hell.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

p-hop posted:

Good news: The only guy in the kitchen with anger issues/manic outbursts put in his two weeks. It's obvious he wasn't happy here, so good for him. Good for everyone else too, since a bad mood is really easy to share with coworkers during a dinner rush. KM has complemented my knife skills every time he walked past my prep table. I've only been here for two weeks but I might be able to escape the dish pit sooner than I thought.

Bad news: A horrific rash on both my ankles. I never spilled anything on me, no chemicals stored on the floor anywhere, my pants are clean and dry at the end of my shift. Got a few days off with a doctor's note, and the rash is slowly dissipating while I rest up. Bloodwork hasn't come back yet to see if it's bacterial, fungal, or "dunno lol"

I have tried in vain to get some actual work shoes. I don't care if they're cheap and need to be replaced every 6 months. I don't care if it's a big investment up front for something more durable. I just have 12-13W feet and even some wide sizes are not wide enough. In the mean time, I bought some gel inserts for the sneakers I've been wearing. Sore feet is no longer a problem, but I need to get more appropriate footwear before I slip and hurt myself or others. Last time I worked dish pit I ended up using really lightweight hiking boots that were water resistant and gave enough traction to safely waltz on greasy tile.

I'd go to a local community college and see if they have a cooking program. If they do they might have shoes for sale there. I know mine does.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

JacquelineDempsey posted:

In a pinch, Payless sells kitchen-safe shoes (I think the brand is Saf-T-Step?) for less than $30. I bought the Chuck Taylor style ones when I got my first dish job and they held up p well for wading through puddles of 180 degree water in a high-volume, industrial grade dishpit. Never slipped, I only retired them after 6 months when they got cracks in the sides and I started coming home with Vietnam trench foot. Also, Payless is a godsend to the large-footed woman (I'm a 10 in womens, 7-8 in guys), I imagine they got yer size 13 back (foot?).

Yeah... because of my clownfeet, all my work shoes are mens sizes because gently caress trying to find women's with them. I wear 13 mens, for what it's worth.

That's a new level of fun.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I need out of this industry.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hyperlynx posted:

Hell is lovely customers.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Alright, I can understand why someone would not want to have to deal with all the tax paperwork for a potential hire that may not last a day. That's a major headache for everyone involved.

But if you're going to do shady poo poo like not pay your employees to "try them out", why not do some different shady poo poo like, I don't know... pay them under the table?

Or are you that greedy and ethically bankrupt that that's out of the question.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Yeah the real problem is single shift unpaid stages, not the 1 year unpaid corporate internships, or the multiyear indentured servitude perpetrated by Disney and others.

Also, there is a difference between "chef" and "owner". One controls what we spend money on. The other keeps the gears turning.

If it makes you feel like GOOD PEOPLE when you berate and poo poo on some random individual chef for following the precedent set by the industry, cool, I'm happy for you. While you jerk yourself off, I'll be cooking food.

"Everyone's doing it, so it's cool!"

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ah BLOO BLOO BLOO BLOO

Use your words sweetheart as to why I'm wrong.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Stuntman posted:

Is there any way to deal with the tackiness you get on utensils/containers that have sat out without being used or washed for god knows how long?

We use vinegar and hot water for our soup pots.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

FOH present.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Use full strength degreaser on your back every day, have the dish pit guy spray you down with scalding water afterwards.

If I'm not being clealry sarcastic there please don't do any of what I just said.

Knowing some people in this industry...

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Republicans posted:

One of our servers rushed through our kitchen to the back door facing the bathroom in a very urgent, panicked manner. About fifteen minutes later I go to the bathroom and find someone has explosively shat on the handicap stall floor. One of the other cooks went to check on him at some point and found him outside where he was coaxed back to work.

Would intentionally making diarrhea noises with a squeeze bottle when he's present be too mean?

As one of the few people who actually cleans the bathrooms, yes.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'm still of the opinion you should lawyer up.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Water heater crapped out last night.

It was 19 years old.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hell is co-workers

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

That's why doing the friday closing shift solo is so rad.

We're a 24 hour place. Guess who had to stay late until a replacement came yesterday.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Yup

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Gods help me, double today :suicide:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ow my everything

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also, for the record, I knew someone was getting fired before they were all of... twice. First one was as they were coming in (I had a feeling they were), the other was someone who was really flaky on doing their work and showing up on time during training and never made it out of it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Plan Z posted:

The pet peeve I've never gotten over is when people leave utensils inside containers of stuff and they fall in and get the poo poo all over the handle.

I bus tables as part of my serving job, and I usually just stick all the silverware in the cups.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Adding to the above, if you ever ball up your paper napkin and stick it in your glass, I (and any other dishwasher) will come out and beat you with a dish rack.

And you wouldn't think I'd have to tell grown adults this, but ffs don't stick chewing gum to the plates. loving army scrubs used to stick that on the trays like they were in elementary school, and that was one thing our truck-sized Stero just couldn't deal with.

The worst thing is people who put napkins on runny yolks or syrup.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mezzanon posted:

lol nothing like walking in to work 15 minutes early for your shift only to be told "hey we hosed up on seating so you're not gonna get your first table for an hour or so"

Dope.

Mezzanon posted:

Holy poo poo the hits just keep on coming tonight. It's half price appy night and the day shift portioned all the pounds of wings at 12 ounces. What is happening.

Edit: update: they were portioned while frozen so they were portioned as 12 ounces frozen instead of 16 ounce thawed.

Will we need to do a safety check later on?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I've gotten shakes a lot and hot dogs once. Neither are anywhere on our menu.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Next week: 1400-2200 Friday, 0900-2200 Saturday, 0900-2200 Sunday

:suicide:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

mandatory lesbian posted:

you're only working 3 days, what a slacker

School the other 4

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Republicans posted:

Anyone else get a weird sense of satisfaction when scraping caked-on grease from the sides of a fryer and it comes off in those long, clean strips?

So gross yet so awesome?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mezzanon posted:

Good news in the world of my work! We just cut the rest of the serving staff, and half the kitchen because it's pretty dead. Then the phone rings and one of the dishwashers takes a reservation for 9:45pm (we close at 11 pm) for 20 people.

"They said they'd be out by 11:00!"

Here we go!

Translation: :suicide:

We really need a chef version of that, solely for this thread.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

This is where you tell them "At 11pm, I will start cleaning around you. With a vacuum."

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Another scheduled double next week :suicide:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Oh, and the drain pipe connected to our dishwasher clogged tonight.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I had to deal with a coworker that had a breakup.

I have a feeling they're not long for that job anyway, for related and unrelated issues (they sort of, uh... have been sliding off the slippery slope lately).

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Just use your knife to kill yourself now and spare yourself from this industry?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, after the double from hell last night, I look stoned, despite being 100% sober.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mezzanon posted:

We had a snowstorm yesterday and two drivers straight up tapped out and refused to do anymore deliveries on the night.

That's a real gently caress move.

Every time you come to share a story, I imagine you as your avatar as it's happening with that exact expression

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Life goes on.

Even if a sword fish got butchered in more than one way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Skwirl posted:

I have a terrible habit of saying the wrong time of day when people leave the restaurant. "Have a great afternoon," he says to the couple that is walking out the door at 9pm.

That's me on doubles. I'll say "tonight" all the time at 9 in the morning.