Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Overtime chat: it's 80 hours in a 14 day period in Oregon, so you can work 60 hours in a week and 10 hours the next week and still get paid regular rates. gently caress Oregon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

the great deceiver posted:

oh man sharis fuckin owns tho. im all about that marionberry pie

Sour cream lemon is the best Shari's pie and I will fight you

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Another difference is that diet coke has citric acid, and zero has sodium citrate.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I feel like I can offer some insight here since I administered the POS system for a small chain of retail stores for a couple of years. Square is pretty great. Their reporting is pretty good, and the number and speed of new features is staggering - generally head and shoulders above the competition. It also offers the most intuitive experience, both on the backend and terminal side. It could've covered our entire needs for a little more than Revel, but we had the grandfathered pricing plan which was much cheaper so we didn't switch. We did online orders, 'cooking', combos, upsells, automatic and manual discounts in many forms - we had complex needs.

Revel has amazing support, but they take time to implement changes and it sometimes just can't do a thing that you need it to do. Support often has a suggested workaround or might even make changes overnight, so give them a ring. They also offer a very inexpensive payment processing service, so you can run Revel everything if you want to. The reporting is good, and API access is inexpensive.

Clover is cheap and well suited for head shops and vape shops. Not a fan.

I haven't used Aloha :shrug:

What exactly do you find lacking in Square, amahd?

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 27, 2018

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

All POS systems suck. It's just a matter of finding the one that sucks least for the specific features you want.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

If you were in your mid-late 20s with no experience, how would you become a waiter? Lie and say you have experience? Asking for a friend (legitimately).

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Fig, prosciutto, roasted garlic, arugula, and brie make a wonderful omelette. A little heavy, though...

E: whoops, meant to post this in the other thread you were posting in

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I think that being able to feel safe at work is pretty loving important, and if you can't resist the impulse to make your coworkers feel unsafe maybe you should work alone.

I think it's pretty reasonable to feel unsafe after your coworker puts mystery chemicals in your drink, for any reason.

But hey, it's just salty coke, right?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Shooting Blanks posted:

Remember the context: This was for people who were continually putting open containers of soda in spots where they'd been explicitly instructed NOT to put them multiple times, and had drink holders installed for that specific purpose. Given the options of:

A - Salting the drink
B - Throwing their drink away
C - Sending them home for the shift and/or writing them up

Which would you prefer?

B until they learn

If they won't or can't learn not to put drinks in this one specific place, eventually c.

Don't put stuff in drinks, ever. What the gently caress

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

If you're afraid of issuing negative consequences because people won't like them, I think you shouldn't manage people.

You make, or enforce, the rules. If they choose to break those rules, then you're not loving with their paycheck, they're loving with their own paycheck. If the rule is dumb and needs to change, well, that's a different conversation. Enforcement is supposed to be real though, and actually matter.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Quabzor posted:

Heard a first last night.

A customer was upset that the beef tartare was too rare.

serve them a fully cooked hamburger

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

I didn't have eggs, guanciale, or pecorino so I made carbonara with spam, half and half, peas, and carrots.

I thought I knew what a garbage plate was

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Stringent posted:

Flour only produces gluten once sufficiently hydrated. :science:

for example, when exposed to mucuous membranes, such as the mouth or lungs or nose

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Does anybody know any goons in agriculture or food manufacturing? I feel like there's a wealth of gripes further up the supply chain.

I work in food manufacturing and distribution.

I'll write up something about sugar later, when I get home.

I hate sugar so much.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

gently caress sugar

okay, so first of all, let's go into how sugar makes its way from the producers and refiners to you

first, millions of farmers in china and south america harvest the cane and extract the juice, then cook off that juice to make sugar crystals

then, those sugar crystals are batch-measured for humidity and other parameters

meanwhile, they're put into bags of varying sizes. Generally at the level I deal with, these are either 50# (or 55# whatever) bags, or 1300-1400kg supersacks, pictured below

those bags are sent around the globe after being sealed. this is seriously thick material, it's like a few layers of tarp, and it's sturdy enough to hold a squareish shape when fully loaded with sugar

now, there are some problems that come in here, and this is why I hate sugar

the US government holds all imported sugar in bond, then releases it on a seasonal basis. The amount of sugar left behind is called the tranche. You can pull a certain amount of sugar from tranche at market price, but if you want to pull more than that, you pay a stiff tariff. The problem here is that the USDA doesn't tell you how much is being released from tranche with any amount of forewarning: they just tell you how much you can pull at nominal rates. So you get locked into contracts for say 5 million pounds, except it turns out you only can buy 4 million pounds at the rates you were promised.

This year, tranche releases were devastatingly low, about 30%, thanks to this administration's trade wars. So we got hosed there, and now we're buying sugar from most of the other distributors in the entire USA. There are only a few companies large enough to pull from tranche to begin with, and we're paying the other ones a premium so we don't have to pay the tariff. So we get hosed on that, and our margin goes in the toilet.

And then when you do finally get the sugar (which is released on delay, so you're scrambling to keep the bread and cookie companies you deal with running) it turns out some of the pallets they're on are chipped, and the uneven weight distribution makes them break in transit or when being unloaded or, more commonly, when we're shipping with outside freight. Or there can be boulders that form in the super sacks because of moisture ingress. Or that moisture can be a little lower than required to form boulders and instead just promote growth, so we have to do our own in-house bacteria testing.

At least half of my day is dealing with sugar bullshit. That's not even our core product, but it is just so much all the time.

Despite all of these issues, we keep getting return business. Everyone experiences the same problems, but we hire people who actually give a poo poo, so we go the extra mile to figure out what happened and fix it, or at least give an explanation.

Another fun thing that happened, we shipped four drums of safflower oil to a company - small order, but whatever, we're still making money. As is industry standard, we put four drums on a pallet. When our customer received the oil, they received three drums on a pallet, plus one drum on a hosed up, patched together pallet that I'm pretty sure was homemade. The fourth drum was upside down, rewrapped, and had a hole in the bottom (now the top). So what happened was, the freight company went to a central hub to transfer goods, sort of like how airports work, and they unloaded our oil, and in so doing they punctured one drum. They noticed the leak, and instead of issuing a return authorization, they decided to just say gently caress it and hope that nobody would notice. What the gently caress.

I didn't realize this thread would be a good place to post stuff about my job. I'm going to definitely start doing that now.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

One time two pallets, one full of chia seeds and the other one a tote of olive oil, were punctured by a forklift. The freight company tried to bill us. They sent pictures.

Can you imagine what that looked like? A semi truck's floor and part of one wall covered in hundreds of pounds of chia seeds and oil.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

We sell seven types of molasses. We only have retail pack sizes for one (blackstrap). I have asked everybody from the buyer to the product manager to the reps that actually sell these seven varieties of molasses, and nobody can tell me the difference between any of them except that blackstrap is extremely bold in flavor.

Do I buy six 5-gallon pails of molasses? I want to see which one I like best.

What do I even do with 30 gallons of molasses? Can I make molasses wine or something?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Shooting Blanks posted:

Are they graded in any way? The only other thing I can think of is if you have weird molasses with a different base ingredient - for instance, pomegranate molasses is a thing.

The spec sheet is impenetrable. We have sweet molasses, sweet homestyle, sweet Barbados (this one I know, it's the first press), sweet premium homestyle, and sweet medium. Also, blackstrap and premium blackstrap.

Brix is almost identical between all of the sweet ones.

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 23, 2019

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Shabadu posted:

They get real scared when I break out the hatchet to bust up the cases of bordeaux for firewood

Yeah but that's only because you always do the "heeeeere's Johnny!" thing

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

After a whirlwind of chaos and bullshit for the past two months, I am (sort of) among you. I will be cooking for an assisted living facility starting on Monday. It's a lot like home cooking, but with more mouths to feed. Not much is being made to order; we keep to a menu, with substitutions for allergies as necessary. Wish me luck.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Bussamove posted:

I apologize for your series of poor life choices that lead to the service industry.

Thank you. They hired me on the spot and I desperately need a job so 🤷‍♀️ I'll get out eventually.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Resting Lich Face posted:

Welcome to the machine.

Try not to develop too much of a drinking habit.

No promises.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Science WHORE posted:

We finally have our weekly schedule in place and I work 7-3 most days, according to the assignments I’m going to be doing laminating, some entremet work and....the to-order lunches. They just installed the ticket printer :toot:

Does anybody have experience with Revel? Thoughts?

Also I’m getting tired of the construction crew acting like literal children and begging for food every day. One of them stands outside the glass door to the kitchen rubbing his belly and pointing at the cookies he wants like a five year old, he’s recruited another guy to do it too now. I just want to tell them to do their drat job so we can open, then they can buy whatever sweets they want!

I have about two and a half years' experience with Revel. It's not what I do right now, but I used to. What are you having trouble with?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Science WHORE posted:

No problems, I was just curious of what you guys thought of it since it’s what the owner decided on. I’ve mostly used Toast but I’ve heard mixed reviews in Revel. Maybe it’s fine for a patisserie, since it’s mostly retail with a limited lunch menu?

It's not too bad. Setting up combos and specials is sometimes unintuitive, and the barcode scanning functionality was far from perfect last time I used it, and certain types of discounts just don't work how they should, but it's easy enough to use for the most part, and it has great analytics. If you're going to be doing a lot of in-depth and complex things, I would suggest keeping their priority tech support's phone number around. You can get it from them after you've been escalated at least once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

King of False Promises posted:

I'm working at a place that is opening soon, and they're using Homebase for scheduling and messaging, but the boss doesn't really like it. What are some of the other alternatives to it? We're using Clover for our POS.

ADP sucks, but it exists. It seems to be widely used at medium-size business scale. I've used Humanity as well, and that was actually pretty nice. That was at a <50 employee business.