Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

NinjaDebugger posted:

Nobody is going to look out for your best interests but you, especially not in this crapsack industry. Look out for yourself first and foremost, or you're going to lose it all.

this is very good life advice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

If it makes you feel like GOOD PEOPLE when you berate and poo poo on some random individual chef for following the precedent set by the industry, cool, I'm happy for you. While you jerk yourself off, I'll be cooking food.

this is the industry thread, nearly everyone here cooks or has cooked food and apparently most of us managed to pay our employees for their work, almost like it's a really easy thing to do or something

GhostofJohnMuir fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Aug 1, 2017

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
maybe you GOOD PEOPLE have a problem with a chef not washing their hands after taking a poo poo, but some of us are trying to cook!

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Skwirl posted:

Not everybody cooks, a good chunk of us look at our phones while ignoring annoying white ladies, work front of house.

i said nearly everyone because as the only foh folks i can consistently remember are you and amahd

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Republicans posted:

One of our servers rushed through our kitchen to the back door facing the bathroom in a very urgent, panicked manner. About fifteen minutes later I go to the bathroom and find someone has explosively shat on the handicap stall floor. One of the other cooks went to check on him at some point and found him outside where he was coaxed back to work.

Would intentionally making diarrhea noises with a squeeze bottle when he's present be too mean?

hope he shat himself due to poor diet and excessive drinking and not foodborne illness

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

the great deceiver posted:

i took 3 days off from both of my jobs this past week so i could go camping with some friends i hadn't seen in a while; gave both jobs over 2 weeks notice. went in to get my paychecks friday morning and got a guilt trip from both of my bosses at both places for taking a couple days off- this is first time i've ever taken any time off at either place. i get home today and find out that they were so bitchmade and pissed they went and updated my schedule and took me off another 2 days this week at job #1 and one day at job #2. basically means i'm going a whole week with no work/no pay. so loving lame, sometimes i hate this industry

setting aside throwing a fit over a long weekend, this is stupid as gently caress for just how passive aggressive it is. if i ever had to deny time off (like someone was asking for over 5 days during our busiest season or something) i told people to their face "no, that isn't going to work". throwing a retaliatory bitch fit for something they didn't comment on when given advanced notice is just cowardly

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

cods posted:

Okay, finally have all this sorted out. Accepted offer in Malibu. Could have gotten the other one but the timing didn't work and the job in Malibu was a sure thing, and I am moving across the country, so I didn't want to risk anything.

Having said that, where do I live if I work in Malibu? I don't mind a 45 minute commute in order to save on rent. I'm just not entirely sure where to start looking.

depending on where in malibu you might want to look into getting a place in oxnard and commuting down pch. traffic's bad on beach days, but generally decent and oxnard is by far the cheapest place i can think of remotely close to malibu. if you have to go really barebones for rent, south central area is going to be cheapest on the westside, but it'll probably be gentrified in few years anyway and you have to fight through the 10/405 interchange to get to malibu

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
not sure about canoga park specifically, but woodland hills and calabasas are some of the priciest real estate in the region. also the commute through the canyons is unbelievably bad

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Plan Z posted:

I hate this so much and it's part of my current job. We have a girl who her main job is just taking orders at the register, making plates, and taking out food, but she has zero ability to multi-task, so it's really common for me to be bouncing between the stove, the grill, the plating, re-setting tables, my prep, and/or register while she scrapes a plate or something. Then when the doors close she intentionally spends the entire time sweeping the dining room and nothing else because that's all she's good for. When my friend/manager told her she wasn't sweeping tonight, I caught her wiping the prep tables with a cold wet towel and nothing else so when she started a fight over me suggesting to use hot soap and water, it's now something I won't let her do. A lot of it goes back to the fact that she's loving one of our managers who's twenty years older than her, so he just lets her do whatever so he gets his at the end of the night. They've both admitted to skipping mopping the floors and stuff because she takes so long sweeping the floors. I know that the next time I raise my voice I'm going to get the "she's a girl, so there are some things she can't do," which besides just sticking up for a lovely employee is a lovely thing to do to other women.

Otherwise, I actually currently like my job. It's just that I'm doing more and more because of her and a useless new dishwasher whose closing routine I now regularly help with. It's loving night and day when I do a shift with the owner and my one other friend how much I actively enjoy it.

i've come to think that one of the most important qualities of being an owner (besides not being stupid enough to own a restaurant in the first place) is the ability to set down a no fraternization and no getting high on the job rule and make sure it sticks.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
when i said no fraternization i specifically meant managers. two hourly employees might be able to gently caress without it being a real problem, but as soon as anyone finds out someone is loving a manager it will become a problem even if there isn't any special treatment

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

A Man and his dog posted:

Mandatory meeting tomorrow at 9 o clock. The same meeting we have every year. Going over the same poo poo management says every meeting. Ugh.

gently caress. Tomorrow is gonna be a long day.

you're getting paid to sit down and zone out instead of running around. it's basically a bonus

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

mindphlux posted:

"prime rib" is one of those things that noone really orders who understands what prime rib is, because they know they're getting shafted. I second 'rib roast', it's a more accurate description and the people who would order it and pay good money for it are probably still going to order it imo.

edit : literally just had been thinking about this, since I went to a 'fancy' restaurant tonight in the boonies with my inlaws grandparents which was 'known for its steak'. Half the table got prime rib. It was a rib roast, attractively priced at $36/plate with two sides. My perfectly civilized compassionate IRL self smiled and had a great time with tha fam, but my mindphlux was lollllinn at the industry racket.

i recently had exact same experience, in my case what was running through my mind was the steak highly marked up as "aged" with no indication of how it was aged or for how long

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
if i saw that in a menu i would promptly leave the restaurant

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

The General posted:

http://www.kinka.com

Unfortunately I don't know if it's actually good, because my girlfriend of the time read the menu outside and said "I will not eat anything on that menu."

But I do know that the lineup was out the door, and a chef came out wearing a wife beater and holding a cleaver yelling "I've got a table for two! Table for two! Anybody!?" And wandered back inside. Looked pretty amazing. That was a sign from god, but my ex just wouldn't have it :smith:

if your gf wouldn't eat takoyaki then it wasn't meant to be

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i just took my elderly mother to the release event for jonathan gold's top 101 list, a bit of a to do here in la. we came across roy choi, who i casually pointed out to her as we passed, only to have her toddle up to him and start burbling about her son who's also a chef. only a mother's love could raise someone who was once a line cook at a greasy spoon to the be equal with the progenitor of the food truck movement

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Amy Pole Her posted:

Time for the SA intervention. You’ve admitted to us in discord that you drink 3-5 beers before every shift

having at least one party be drunk is the only way he knows to get down

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Online food handlers/managers courses that don't let me skip straight to the test can die in a goddamn fire. loving ServSafe

gently caress, i would have been fine if they just let me skip ahead when i was done reading the text instead of waiting for the audio to finish. that course took loving forever

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

5 walkins, all 600+ sq ft

wait is that 600 square feet total or 600 square feet each cause if it's the second one that's some crazy poo poo

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Thoht posted:

And wouldn't you know it, the restaurant didn't fall apart while I was gone for a half hour and we still managed to get all our work done.

this bit here took me so long to wrap my head around

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

They're all also automatic doors.

i missed this reading it the first time and now i'm insanely jealous. enjoy your palace with the cold storage capacity of a small warehouse

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Willie Tomg posted:

Reminder: the correct response to the callout "hot, behind" is "Thanks, I work out."

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
personally i hated the customers in whatever form they appeared in

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Willie Tomg posted:

while we're discussing ethically sourced Long Pig lets mention the New York Times, which is failing by the way,

https://twitter.com/drcab1e/status/939069104631287809

i'll ignore most of this list, but how could you ever justify time management? that's basically the crux of any position in any kitchen

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
it takes half a second to separate the shrimp meat from the tail, the only style i find kind of inconvenient is if they leave the whole shell on the shrimp and that's pretty rare

just eat it the same way you would a mussel or a clam served in their shell

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
discendo vox, you are not representative of d&d and you know it

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
la min wage is already $12/hour, lots of places that want more than bottom of the barrel at starting at around $15. and i think in san fransisco and seattle the floor is even higher

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Mu Zeta posted:

SF minimum wage is $15+ tips but rent takes it all away. Even Oakland is expensive now.

yeah, rent in most places in la makes $15 an hour a total joke

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Skwirl posted:

https://twitter.com/MurderBryan/status/960605174971752449

Like, I'm the type of pedant who always says "I'm doing well" instead of "I'm doing good" if some one asks how I'm doing, but I'm not the type a pedant who says "Superman does good, you're doing well" to other people.

who has enough time and energy to print out little cards about perceived verbal slights? "get the gently caress out of my store" is also an imperative statement

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

The Maestro posted:

Find your niche and do it well (or just do it better than your competition). Your #1 priority in anything you do is the guest. If everything is different every time they come in, they’re not gonna keep coming in (to an extent obviously). Your guest needs to be able to come in on a Monday lunch or a Friday night and be able to order the same drink and have it taste the same, and to receive the same high quality of service.

i'm glad to find someone stating this standard aloud, because i seldom find a place that lives up to it

gotten so used to figuring out when the good bartenders work at all the local places so i know when to bother showing up

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Fun fact: it takes way too loving long to compress 10lbs of various microgreens.

i'm surprised you don't have some $10,000 atomic powered microgreen compressor

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

fizzymercy posted:

LMAO, let me tell you guys about the time I worked at a hospital-run assisted living facility that made us peel the stickers off of bananas going into banana pudding. The bananas only came with stickers on where we were, no matter the (haha two families related by marriage) vendor.

Twice a week. All the stickers off of banana skins. For bananas being processed down for pudding. They made us hand in a gross little blorb of the stickers to prove we'd peeled them.

I worked there for three straight years and that was always the hardest part of my job. I have dreams where I'm peeling stickers for eternity. I'd blender a million meatloaves to forget those bananas.

did they ever have an incident were a sticker somehow managed to get on a residents plate and they sued or something? that seems like the only type of thing that could provoke a weird as gently caress sticker bounty. unless management was a just a bunch of power tripping weirdos

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Liquid Communism posted:

"The minimum wage, with all due respect, is a 1938 income support system for a workforce that worked in manufacturing and agriculture," said Cicely Simpson, executive vice president for public affairs at the National Restaurant Association, at a panel discussion last month. "In our workforce, we have people who drive an Uber during the day and work in restaurants at night. They have no desire to spend their entire career in an entire industry."

gently caress that guy

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

JawKnee posted:

pay dishwashers more and you suddenly won't have a problem filling that position

of course the truth is that businesses don't actually want the best employees overall, they want the cheap ones they can abuse

it was a nasty revelation to young me that a lot of people in the industry don't see your uncomplaining hard work as a virtue, just as something to take for granted until they get annoyed that you might no longer provide when you finally ask for something

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

empty whippet box posted:

I have some hope that when shift leader positions come available, I'll be one of the ones considered. This is a reasonable assumption, I think, because the owners love me and tell me so constantly. I'm one of I think 2-3 people still getting overtime at this point and people show their appreciation for how well I do my job literally every day. However, I also came into this aware that it may be where I stay, without a pay raise, ever. That's OK, while I'd be happy to just work here for a while if they gave me a job paying 12-13 an hour, I'm also finishing my doctorate(writing my dissertation) in music so, like, if I really get tired of this type of work then I have things I can go do. I actually find washing dishes to be less oppressive than trying to make a living as a classical clarinetist. It pays more, too.

I expect to be at this place for a little while, and I'm cool with being a dishwasher at 8 an hour the whole time if that's what happens. Especially if people stay appreciative as they've been, it really makes it easier just to feel appreciated.

i don't want to burst your bubble, especially when i don't know your exact circumstances, but getting promoted to shift lead may be infinitely worse then just working a steady dish pit shift. i kind of roll my eyes at the more culinary mind posters in this thread who post about how it's about the passion and the food, but honestly if you really are as hard working and contentious as you post, there are a ton of industries where you can make as good or better money for less work and with less substance abuse, criminality, destruction of your own body and just general degradation. you're not even collecting those sweet tips a waiter or bartender have the potential to get

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

pseudosavior posted:

All I'm really seeing is that I made the worst possible choice when it comes to this industry.

Rather than actually work in a functional kitchen with competent people for a decent wage, I'm stuck in a franchise wingpit, deep-frying chicken ends for rubes for 8.50/hr alongside morons and methheads.

I'd probably actually kill for 15/hr.

obviously i don't know the exact context of were you live, but if you're making poo poo money at a bad restaurant why don't you just jump ship and scout around. the singular perk of this industry is that it's incredibly easy to walk into most places and get a job. maybe this time you'll be paid poo poo but the company will be halfway decent

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
you should just come out of the dish pit swearing profusely and wildly waving the pot in the air. they'll get the message

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

pseudosavior posted:

Opening manager no-showed, so the closing manager had to finally open the store 45 minutes after we were supposed to be prepping.

We also got our health inspection today,
at the same time as our truck came in,
also at the same time that everyone in this lovely town decided they needed wings to soak up the booze.

So, of course the two cooks (who are also dating and are pretty gross about it) decide to gently caress off and take two and a half hours putting the truck away, our lunch closer wasn't allowed to clock in "due to the health inspection being in progress", so myself and the only other cook on line got railed for two full hours (while also failing the health inspection due to the two actually working people being rear end deep in the weeds with no assistance whatsoever).

At least the FOH only dropped two orders on the floor, and took the wrong food to the wrong table three times.

gently caress this day, and gently caress this industry.

why wouldn't your lunch closer be able to clock in in the middle of a health inspection? i've never heard of anything like that

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Errant Gin Monks posted:

So Petit Trois is ridiculously small and has wonderful food. It's amazing they can stay in business.

my assumption for the past couple of years has been that ludo lefebvre has magic powers

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
nah, they just expanded the warning to all romaine coming from arizona

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Naelyan posted:

This is so loving true. Not the CdC thing necessarily (though probably), but at this point I can actively feel myself get shittier at my job and make lazier menus/less informed decisions when I haven't slept properly in a few days. It's something I've only come to really learn and take heed of in the last couple years, but it makes SO MUCH difference.

especially in a management position. i had always tried to prioritize getting enough sleep so i could have better focus and mental clarity, but i made it a must do when i started to notice the quality and nature of the direction and feedback i was giving underwent a noticeable change when i stopped getting enough sleep during extended crunches