Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

pile of brown posted:

He was slammed and he forgot to put it on their

On their what?! Don't leave us hanging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

prayer group posted:

Well, I don't really like being told that something that happened to me didn't actually happen. I was there, dude.

My point there was really that having the tact and situational awareness of knowing when you can get away with saying something like that really makes dealing with difficult people a little easier. But you can just go "nah, that didn't happen" if you want.

The correct answer here was “first of all, how dare you”

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

This is the kind of innovation the restaurant industry needs.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Now you've gotta leverage your newfound fame into a viral instagram food truck phenom!

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

droll posted:

No one's blaming you OP, unless you're the one dragging your feet on hiring the replacement and you were the one that didn't have anyone else there to help after the regular quit and expected the others to pick up the slack. If this isn't your fault then no one here is blaming you. We're blaming the obviously dogshit management.

I read this thread, but I don't think I've ever posted here. I worked for several years at Wal-Mart, and for a much shorter time at the OP's workplace. This was during the Great Recession. At a "Big Box" retail store, random managers will always try to pull people from one area to another to cover other areas, because the company is always trying to schedule just enough coverage to get by, and they recognize that even if there isn't enough coverage, they can pressure people into working harder. Also, it doesn't actually matter that much for the bottom line. If some things are out of stock, customers will buy something else. It's not like they're going to go to another store. Very few customers will shop at multiple stores to minimize their grocery bill. Hence the loss leader, sell your milk or whatever for a bit less to get them in the door, because they'll buy everything else regardless of the price.

But at a big enough store, like a Wal-Mart Supercenter, there's kind of always someone in a department. There's also dedicated receivers, unloaders, etc. A pallet doesn't get left on the dock in a big store. But in a smaller store, you get this situation where individuals are expected to both cover their entire department and area, plus anything else nearby. So there's one person in the entire dairy and frozen department, or there's a single individual scheduled to cover meat. Then like, they're eating lunch and there are ten entitled people angrily haranguing the management about why they can't get their salmon cut. At Wal-Mart, it was sort of always acknowledged internally among the workers that a Supercenter was better to work at than a Neighborhood Market, because you had a more focused set of duties and your direct supervisor was more likely to have your back if you refused to move to another department to cover when your own needed coverage.

I only briefly worked for the OP's workplace because it sold itself as a better environment, but it was actually worse in pretty much every way than the big corporate entities. The Amazon buyout may have made things better, but it sounds like the small grocery store problems still persist. The desire to pay the minimum possible wages while expecting the worker to do all sorts of tasks. My clearest memory of stocking groceries at that place was some absurd white lady demanding that I restock the fresh honey dispenser. There were dozens of prefilled honey containers sitting there, but she wanted to pull a little lever and fill up her own. The feeder honey containers were literally like five gallon fifty pound things that you had to flip over and drop onto a tap. Think like an office water cooler but six feet up in the air and full of goo rather than water. I had to climb a ladder and drop this giant honey container onto a hopper so this lady could pull a lever and pour her honey into a container, rather than just taking one of the existing containers. I'm a tall, fit enough guy, but I will always remember taking that deep breath as I shouldered that honey barrel to performatively install that loving honey onto a tap for some idiot white lady.

Wal-Mart would have never asked me to do something so stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Dallas style is a half cooked deep-dish that comes with a techbro who won't shut the gently caress up about cryptocurrency and Internet Of Things.

I've actually heard this term used unironically a few times, so I tried to look up what exactly it is and found this quote in a Dallas Observer article:

"We were curious as to what was considered “Dallas pizza,” and learned that this is what they call the type of pizza that was served at the late Picasso’s: basically, your standard Neapolitan-style pizza that offers a butter crust option. This, then, was the style we omitted, settling on Chicago, Detroit, “Tavern,” and New York."