Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

How do you folks feel about the film Boiling Point?

I'm a UK bartender and honestly, it's one of the most accurate depictions of working in hospitality that I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

I'll have to check The Bear out, but can't seem to find it on Google. What's it on?

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

Discendo Vox posted:

It’s subject to heavy localization licensing and search engines easily confuse it with the animal, of course. You can reliably find info on it by searching “bear men near me”.
OK I'll do tha... waitaminute

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

BiggerBoat posted:

Speaking of that, it's kind of weird that there aren't more movies and sitcoms that are primarily set in a restaurant and center around that crazy world of cooks, servers, dishwashers.managers and hosed up customers. Not counting "reality" shows. When I was 16 and 17 I worked in a Denny's doing just about everything on every shift at some point or another and holy poo poo would the things I witnessed there make for a great show/movie.
IIRC they made a Kitchen Confidential series based on the Anthony Bourdain book, starring Bradley Cooper in the lead role, but it didn't last too long.

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

Woman on the phone: "Hello, can you tell me what fish dishes you have on your menu for Sunday?"
Me: "Well, to name two, we have a nice mackerel nicoise salad starter, and our battered haddock and chips is always popular"
Woman: "Oh, haddock? Is that fish?"
Me: "..."
Me: "Yes, haddock is fish"

I'm so done with this week.

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

"No, we're closed for refurbishment this week, as indicated by the sign outside saying "we open in three days", the hazard tape over the front door, the builders cutting wood on the bar, the amount of sawdust and paint all over everything, the fact that you've just had to walk past paint cans and power tools to ask me if we're open yet, etc, etc"

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Excellent advice above, take heed.

As former cook who got her start (and always helped out) in dish, let me also add: do not, never, ever, anywhere, just drop your knife off at (or God forbid, IN) the dishpit. If you have a dedicated dish person, ask what the protocol is.

Many if not most places I've worked, if you used knives, mandolins, meat cutter blades, anything sharp: you wash that yourself. Every place I've worked: drop a knife into the sink? You're going home (maybe for good), even if you've worked there for years.
Can confirm, have seen a KP get fired for exactly that - luckily it was found before anyone got hurt

Granted he was also a huge creeper who hit on every guy working there (including me), so they were looking for a reason to drop him, but still

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

evilpicard posted:

A little known fact is you can also fire creeps for being creeps
Tell that to my (former) management

It's partly why I don't work there any more

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

w4ddl3d33 posted:

bar one time when i was trying to become a sign spinner and they gave me £10 for four hours.
lol you got massively ripped off here

I feel you though, hospitality is full of prick managers and owners who think nothing of tricking people to work for free covering a shift

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

Animal-Mother posted:

Almost got hosed up by a damaged machine that shouldn't have been approved for use. Later I learned one of my coworkers had informed management days ago about this potential serious problem but they ignored him because he's "one of the complainers." Real dumb stuff. Glad I didn't lose a limb.
In my first bar job I got electrocuted by a UV banknote scanner that someone had spilled a drink over

Luckily my manager was actually competent and had the scanner removed immediately (and safely)

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

Mister Speaker posted:

One of the service industry habits I've carried into my new job (alongside saying 'behind' and asking coworkers if it's cool to go to lunch like a chump) is drinking sugar-free Monsters. I'm up to two a day now.
I envy you - I can't even drink energy drinks at work any more. They give me mad anxiety a couple of hours later. It's like a panic attack in a can for me.

I wish I liked the taste of coffee. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

Malah posted:

I was in the middle of posting to lol at our new tomato slicer but excuse me there's an actual code Adam to handle. Busy day! :dogstare:
Hmm, I’ve never heard of a “code Adam” - I guess it must be an industry term over in the States. I’ll just Google it to learn more and… oh.

:dogstare: