Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
dumbass kid at one of my jobs who thinks hes too pro for the rest of us dumped 80/20 oil all over the brand new whetstone and the sous almost cried lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

i think i walked in on the exec at my day job having a nervous breakdown in the walk-in. i was pushing a speedrack of chicken into it and as soon as i opened the door he was standing there screaming FUCKFUCKFUCK at the top of his lungs and throwing wheels of cheese around

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

definitely made the rest of the shift a little awkward

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

mindphlux posted:

yeah don't ever acknowledge personal defeat or self defeating thoughts or actions, just pat a bro on the back and say 'this is our life now' and carry on drinking yourself into oblivion

yeah this is exactly what i did

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

Shooting Blanks posted:

Bad things about your stage: That you had to do one. Staging is hosed up and needs to be done away with.

are you staging for free? the past couple stages ive done i was cashed out at the end of the night.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

am unpaid month long stage?!?!?!?!? yeah you got me hosed up. that's beyond unreasonable

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

i took 3 days off from both of my jobs this past week so i could go camping with some friends i hadn't seen in a while; gave both jobs over 2 weeks notice. went in to get my paychecks friday morning and got a guilt trip from both of my bosses at both places for taking a couple days off- this is first time i've ever taken any time off at either place. i get home today and find out that they were so bitchmade and pissed they went and updated my schedule and took me off another 2 days this week at job #1 and one day at job #2. basically means i'm going a whole week with no work/no pay. so loving lame, sometimes i hate this industry

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

well im already home so it would have to be urban camping but i think thats just being a homeless person

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

i called the chefs tonight and it turns out it was a mistake at job #1 and i'm working normally but job #2 really is being a passive-aggressive little bitch about it. they might even try to deny my PTO that i requested to use because according to their company policy it can only be used on days that you are calling in sick not requesting off however i am pretty sure that is in violation of california state law

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

JawKnee posted:

if they're going to be such jerks about you not being there because they want you to be there so bad that they'll not have you there then maybe you should not be there again?

permanently?

the only reason im still at this place is cuz i get 18/hr and they give me good benefits for only working there 15 hours a week but believe me i want to leave. im on track to make sous at my other spot and as soon as that happens i'm out of the other place.

Skwirl posted:

This got lost in the shuffle, but unfortunately the only required paid time off in California is mandatory sick leave that accrues at 1 hour per 30 worked and they're only forced to give it to you if you're sick or caring for a sick relative. If they offered PTO in addition to the mandatory sick leave then you might have a leg to stand on. Different cities and counties might have more generous laws that would help you too, but if it's just state law they can probably do that.

yeah thats it but the reason i was pissed is because when i requested the time off the exec verbally told me he'd give me the pto and then it looks like he might be walking back on what he said which is bullshit

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Famous last words. Looking forward to the obligatory "this is loving bullshit" post in a couple months when they promote someone else.

yeah i know how it goes but when i was hired they explicitly told me they were hiring me to work me up to management. it's a very popular and successful local restaurant group and they like to draw their managers for all their restaurants from within. im not naive though, if it doesnt pan out i'll just start shooting sous applications to other places.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

so at both of my jobs i get order from services like Doordash, Postmates, whatever. i just make em and dont think twice about it, never used em myself but orders for these services are tagged PM or DD on the tickets so to me it seems like we get a lot of them. so i went out to dinner with my mom tonight and she was telling me how her husband and her ordered a couple pizzas from a local store that advertised delivery from one of those services. after they put their order in and pay like 40 minutes later they get a text from the delivery driver who says "im here". well she wasnt there and never actually showed up with their pizzas but they were still charged AND the driver gave herself a $10 tip.

my moms husband calls the restaurant who of course says it's a 3rd party and theres nothing they can do. so he calls postmates who basically tells him to get bent. he keeps writing and finally includes all the documentation as well as the text chain showing that their driver basically committed fraud by giving herself a tip and they finally agree to refund him. after that's said and done he goes onto yelp and leaves a bad review for the restaurant which, as someone who works in the industry, immediately made me queasy. i thought about it for a minute tho and looked at the store's website and they do indeed very blatantly advertise delivery thru postmates on their website and has a way to place a delivery order directly thru the store's website. at first i totally agreed with the restaurant that it was a 3rd party and not their responsibility but the more i thought about i kinda think the restaurant should have taken more responsibility- they very boldly advertised that they did delivery thru this company and this one only on their website and other marketing materials. im still not totally sure what i think about this whole situation so what do you think industry goons?

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

Republicans posted:

One of my co-workers was gushing the other day about how UberEats delivers Shari's so she can get pie whenever she wants for just a $5 delivery fee. All i could think was "How much of that is the driver getting?"

oh man sharis fuckin owns tho. im all about that marionberry pie

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Sour cream lemon is the best Shari's pie and I will fight you

actually my favorite sharis pie is the peanut butter chocolate one but i'll try the sour cream lemon one next time im at sharis which will likely also be the next time im so drunk and high i cant even stand up at about 3am

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

i did the community college culinary thing and i think i paid like maybe $500 over 2 years and got great connections and job offers before even graduating. the catch is that you cook for a living

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

Willie Tomg posted:

I've not had breaks in so long I would actually prefer to work 8 straight and go home, than just hang out around work for an extra hour on break.

yeah honestly the mandatory breaks in california kinda suck sometimes cuz often i'd rather just power through and go home instead of being forced to take an unpaid 30. although i know i'd complain even more if i didnt get my break lol

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

caleb posted:

Aren't split shifts illegal without extra compensation in your state? And you get actual breaks? Tell me more about how bad it is... :allears:

lol i know how good my situation is compared to a lot of industry folks in this country but goddamnit i will never stop complaining

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

i did the same thing a month ago, down to 8 shifts instead of 11. it feels good man, congrats. gotta stay firm tho cuz they will always try to pull you back

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

this industry loving sucks. im praying i fall face first into the bechamel today and drown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

oh yeah i'm suing one of my employers for violating california's break laws and its looking like im gonna cash out. i hope i put them out of business