Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

tweet my meat posted:

The best thing about working terrible jobs is that there are always other terrible jobs. It's really a freeing sensation to know that you could just walk out on the spot without giving notice and have another job in a week or two.

I walked out of my worst kitchen job in the middle of friday night bar food rush while the fat useless sous smoked his 20th cigarette out back, and it felt pretty great and i had another lovely kitchen job within two weeks

If it worked for me it can work for anyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Disargeria posted:

The good news is that no one has to accept responsibility for underpaying cooks because they'll just be replaced by robots in the next 20-30 years.

cooks at mcdonalds and chilis are hosed but silicon is still nowhere near being able to taste/smell things which should make some kitchen jobs relatively AI-proof for a while

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I get paid :10bux: which is poo poo, but I'm the sole employee and I get all the tips in the cup which is pretty great for the ~100 days a year that the tourists are here buying our overpriced seafood

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I'm about to cater a funeral reception for an acquaintance from the restaurant across the street who was alive and well a week ago when we catered a shower for his unborn kid

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

iospace posted:

Sweet potato fries, while not my cup of tea, are nothing to get all upset over.

Like well done steaks.

its actually pretty upsetting how hard it can be to order a porkchop medium rare

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Last week we had some flooding and the main road was closed so we impressed upon our Sysco rep that this was the case and an alternate route must be taken. We were told that the message was received and that we were the next stop for sure, and then when the truck reached the flooded road dispatch told him to go home and we didn't find out we weren't getting our delivery till after we closed. That truck had 24 lobsters on it, which we told them to keep at this point, because we needed them early the next day and had to make other arrangements.

They sent the same lobsters out again the next day anyway, they were already half dead and we refused them. A week later on our next seafood order we ordered 24 lobsters and they sent us literally the same disintegrating box of old dead lobsters. When we refused them they dumped them in our dumpster and now the parking lot stinks of rotten lobsters till Friday. Suck my swampy taint, sysco

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 1, 2018

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

It's hard to explain, but ADHD isn't like a disease, or disorder. My brain is functionally different than yours. I don't understand math the way you do; that doesn't mean I'm bad at math, I just process it differently(really loving good at math, btw).
Yeah, ADD is really only a disability in school and certain tedious lines of work, but all the emphasis is on fixing the add instead of learning to use your own brain correctly and find a career that's stimulating for you (and also most white collar offce work is ADHD hell. Lol!)

Source: unmedicated severe adhd, currently swimming in student debt at a restaurant job I love

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Aug 1, 2018

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I work in a tiny kitchen that runs basically 3 overlapping businesses at once (seafood takeout, catering, and pies) where I'm the sole employee and the whole back of the house much of the time and we're wildly disorganized from the top and everything is on the fly and inconsistent and this would drive most people insane but all the chaos flows into my head and hot food comes out on time, and I enjoy the challenge and never being bored at work

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Sweaty cotton mask in a hot kitchen crew checking in