Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The one true heezy
Mar 23, 2004

The one true heezy fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jul 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The one true heezy
Mar 23, 2004
Staging is the practice that enables me, as an employed cook, to walk into a kitchen I find interesting and learn new stuff, free of hassle and concern for that kitchen's budget constraints. As much as I think you should pay serious prospective hires for their time in the kitchen, I wouldn't want to sacrifice the flexibility staging allows for being able to experience different food in different kitchens first hand as a journeyman. I guess I'm saying there is a difference between a stag and a working interview, and that stages shouldn't be paid while a working interviewee ought to be.

Also, I've staged for free and ended up working for the fairest and most generous chef ever. I've also been paid for my stages by chefs who puff their chest out while they hand me a 90 dollar check, but they don't actually pay their cooks poo poo. i also find that kitchens that pay their stages tend to be in more corporate environments, and are generally less efficient, creative, and less desirable to work in.

The one true heezy
Mar 23, 2004
Anybody that wants to address the Enriques of this industry is okay in my book. They need more attention than the fat (or skinny) lazy flannel-americans that worked hard once and now feel entitled to bitch about everything.

I'll take a taco-american any day. or a starcraft-american, poo poo...

The one true heezy
Mar 23, 2004
It's cool dude just mandolin 22qts of cucumber every 3 days

The one true heezy
Mar 23, 2004
Dude don't ever use a guard on a mando. You'll ruin the bevel and shave plastic into the food.

And that's bullshit

The one true heezy
Mar 23, 2004

A Man and his dog posted:

If you don't mind me asking... what the gently caress is an auto sham?

I'm assuming he's talking about combination ovens.

The one true heezy
Mar 23, 2004
I feel like CDC has his finger on the beeting heart of cuisine

The one true heezy
Mar 23, 2004
If you're not brining or marinating your chicken in some way you're just doing it wrong.

The one true heezy
Mar 23, 2004

marshalljim posted:

Yeah, better drench that poulet de Bresse in some tap water and Morton's for a couple of days, you dumdum.

Dude...

Not at all what I said

The one true heezy
Mar 23, 2004

virinvictus posted:

Anyone got any advice:

I’m currently only working 50hrs a week, but the shoes I’m currently wearing for the kitchen leave the ends of my toes intensely sore to walk on (but it’s not a sizing issue). I am willing to spend a disgusting amount of money on a decent kitchen shoe. So any suggestions on brand and style?

Depends on your preference of style and fit. I've been wearing Keen Destins for going on a year now, and I'm very happy. I've figured out that I'm not a dansko or slip on guy via trial by error, and have torn through a bunch of cheaper dr. scholls, docs, and god knows what before happening upon - and overpaying for - my current pair. That being said, Plenty of my peers and betters wear different shoe types than me. We all have different opinions, but we all agree that the struggle for the right shoe is real.

The one true heezy
Mar 23, 2004
Hey guys! Who's running racks tonight?

The one true heezy
Mar 23, 2004
I had a PB and Habanero jelly burger last month. It was delicious.

Edit: RE: coke. Don't do coke. Especially not on a worknight.

The one true heezy fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jun 29, 2018

The one true heezy
Mar 23, 2004
Gimbap is delicious. Throw some french fries and eggs with chorizo into a sushi roll and call it breakfast.

The one true heezy
Mar 23, 2004
I like a cool crisp MGD every now and then

The one true heezy
Mar 23, 2004
just go to your local asia mart and get 10 kiwis for 15 bucks and you'll have a sharp as gently caress knife for 30 shifts... depending on how much knife work you're actually doing :xd:

The one true heezy
Mar 23, 2004

Skwirl posted:

I always thought the major problem with Christmas music is that it's an incredibly small genre and most of it is terrible. If you are listening to that for 8 hours straight there's going to be at least 14 songs that you hear more than 5 times.

Nope. The major problem with Christmas music is that it's about Christmas. Nobody wants to hear Christmas songs while they're working thanksgiving dinner and their family is filling the text chain with songs of resounding joy.

That being said, I still think about that cribs episode where Mariah Carey is getting into her bath tub while I hear her Christmas song, and I sure can't wait for Rihanna's Christmas album.

The one true heezy
Mar 23, 2004

JacquelineDempsey posted:

If I have multiple offers on the table (there's another place I may have an in with and am waiting to hear back), would it be improper to ask to shadow a kitchen for one shift before deciding? If I was a KM, I'd allow it, no sense wasting my time and management doing paperwork if they don't feel like it's a good fit and they're just gonna no show the next day after they've slept on it. Seen that happen all too often at my current place.

I don't know how they do it where you're at, but here on the west coast I wouldn't dream of taking a position before having done at least one stage there. I also wouldn't dream of hiring someone before they'd done the same.

It's a general practice for cooks who have 'gotten serious' about their work to stage at restaurants regardless of whether they're looking for work. It helps broaden your perspective of what's out there and what you could be doing better, and you learn new tricks and make friends along the way.

Edit: Speaking of which. I've heard they outlawed the stage in NY. Any NY cooks/chefs care to weigh in on whether that's actually happened/how it's affected things over there?

The one true heezy fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Dec 28, 2018

The one true heezy
Mar 23, 2004

TheParadigm posted:

Yeah, all good advice. Furthermore, I believe that the new (american) laws dealing with unpaid internships are directly affecting how businesses deal with stages.

Its super crucial to see someone's work ethic in motion, and its also super crucial to pay your employees that make you money. Really, if you don't get the stage/pay off on the right foot its a mark against a modern business, and something I would judge the leadership for when applying.

But what about just going to a strange restaurant and working for free just because you want to?

The one true heezy
Mar 23, 2004

Republicans posted:

Yeah that's what I've been doing, but the harshest degreaser we have is simple green. I've got a couple looking immaculate but after that I'm just looking for the camera to deliver a "there's got to be a better way!"

Please post a picture of a dirty one

The one true heezy
Mar 23, 2004
To the guy with C Diff: Do you mind explaining how your symptoms presented and the scenario surrounding your eventual diagnosis? Did it occur in the workplace?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The one true heezy
Mar 23, 2004
My restaurant is still fully booked for the week, but anticipating many cancellations and an eventual turn to takeout/delivery if things get too bad here in Portland, OR.

Chef assured me he'll do whatever he can to take care of both F/BoH. I assume we'll run a skeleton crew and have the rest go on work insurance-tied unemployment, if that's possible.