Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
We've had waves of people getting it my restaurant, but fortunately it's usually three or four people at a time. We're a big restaurant (usually run with 12-18 servers a night) so omicron has been tough but not disabling. Wearing a mask for 8-10 hours again sucks though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Skwirl posted:

It's hilarious to me that the only person who got fired over this is the one who came up with it. I've long thought "assistant manager" is easily the worst job in a restaurant, especially if it's part of a chain or a restaurant group, so the only people who willingly do it are incredibly dumb people who get off on power tripping over people. I would never do it because I know it's mostly a money pit, but I understand why people want to own restaurants, and I understand even wanting to be the manager of a restaurant, because you still have a certain amount of control of things, assistant manager though, the only control you have is enforcing other people's rules and coming up with insane things like requiring employees to get five positive reviews that mention them by name every month.

Our only assistant manager mainly handles inventory, so he's mostly annoyed when we break dishes. The assistant GM was the former head of HR and is very amenable. Thankfully our GM doesn't suck as much as his predecessor. This kind of power-tripping is wild.

Edit: also requiring every FOH staff member to get mentioned by name five times a month is absolutely insane. I have a sort-of uncommon name and virtually never get mentioned by name even in the rare instances my tables take the time to write a review. I can't imagine how hosts would manage to get their name mentioned that much.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

BiggerBoat posted:

Anybody ever serve or wait on anybody famous?

We get lots of pro sports players at my place (pricey steakhouse); some of the more recent notables have been Steph Curry and Kareem Abdul Jabar. We've also had LL Cool J, Usher and Ludacris come in since the new year. Cool James left a 100% tip on an $4,000 tab but the others left right around 20%.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

BiggerBoat posted:

I assume you live in LA? My experiences were in Philadelphia and it was always strange who might show up.

Still though, at the ripe young age of around 20, I bet that (adjusted for inflation and dollars divided by hours) that the fine dining places I worked were still the best money making jobs I ever had.

I'm in my 30s now and I've never made more money in a year than I did last year at this fine dining joint
Post-shutdown is much better money than pre, for whatever reason.
(in Ohio, not LA).

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Air Skwirl posted:

Yeah, switching to USPS from waiting tables did wonders for my pay check and my mental health.

I've been thinking about exactly this switch. Do you have any suggestions to get in? Are you a carrier or work in a sorting facility?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Coasterphreak posted:

I seriously hate when three dozen people drop with no warning. Like, can none of you grab the cellular device in your pocket and give a heads up?

The worst was when I worked off a major interstate and we’d get entire sports teams dropped on us with zero warning in off hours.

The best was when Steph Curry brought his entire rehearsal dinner to my place for lunch, that was loving cool (and it just so happened to be on a day that literally the best people in the store were all working at the same time, so it was smooth as gently caress)

Celebrities/athletes are the worst. My joint will force the kitchen to stay open late bc a basketball guy might come in for a meal after the game but maybe not.