Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

I've been working fifteen years as marketing director of Adidas. I'm ready for a change. How do I transition my skills to the restaurant industry?

See above.

Did you make this up or have I posted this story I honestly can't remember

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

We've doubled back around to why the ADA exists, I see.

Oppressive regulations that damage American business! America first! #MAGA!

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Being a successful chef has very, very little to do with cooking ability.

Being a cook is cooking, being a chef is management. I had no idea until I made the jump and it was loving hard and I'm still learning. Cooking helps, for sure, but cooking well won't make you a good chef.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
TEN POUNDS?!?!?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Steal coffee from your job.

Other topic: I don't have a no fraternization policy because it's unenforceable, loving waitresses/hostesses who would never speak to you in real life is a boh perk, and it weakens your position as a manager to constantly tell people not to do something they will do anyways but I have a strict no drugs/drinking at work policy, and have backed it up by firing people on the spot and working their shift the rest of the night. Get hosed up on your own time and shoot heroin in your loving eyeballs if you want but Im not paying you to be stoned and useless.
one of my waitresses saw me on my day off the other night and went "OMG are you high? You look so stoned! I've never seen you like this before!" And I said "yeah I smoke weed daily but you've only ever seen me at work"

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
The mint julep one is even better.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
"hint of cilantro" just makes me think of skwisgar's swollen hands

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
What if you fill seats with cheese curds

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
IANAL but if you can't show pay stubs that show you've already had those taxes deducted that is fuuuuuucked

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
The last time I took it online there was a low bandwidth option that didn't load videos and audio... So clutch

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Meanwhile my owners want to open a second storefront that serves fast casual health food breakfast and lunch grab and go Paleo vegan gluten free items , while operating out of the same too small kitchen that serves our 100 seat casual fine dining bistro, and by the ens of the year add a craft cocktail lounge with a third food menu out of that same too small kitchen by the end of the year.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Our corporate training told us we are allowed to ask if an animal is a trained service animal as well as what task or service they are trained to perform. I assume this got checked off by someone who knows ADA law better than I do.

Personally I loving love dogs, pet every dog that walks past me and sleep in a bed with a dog when I'm at my parents house but if your dog is loud or misbehaving it doesn't belong in a restaurant, regardless if it's status.

We had a lady in with her "service cat" the other night but it was chill and just sat in her lap all night and other than chuckling nobody cared.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I went somewhere for brunch at 1130 this morning, in the entire place there was one 4 top and just me and gf sitting at the bar and I could count five cooks and a dishwasher in the open kitchen, four servers, bartender, a hostess, and two foh managers there, plus both the owners who hang out there and bother customers. As we left a 10 top reservation was arriving and requested the bartender by name as their server.

Meanwhile at my place we did ~60 brunch covers with 1 cook, 1 sous chef, 1 server 1 bartender and 1 foh manager and I didn't hit labor goals for the service... I am constantly baffled by other restaurants... What the gently caress were all those people doing? Even if they all make minimum wage that's like 400% of what it costs to run my kitchen for a busier service.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Nov 27, 2017

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

How can I report places that are doing this to the police in a way that leads to their closure?

If you do this you aren't really hurting a crime syndicate in any meaningful way and I doubt all the hourly staff are in on anything other than getting paid

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

If you have management duties, you should be on salary. Otherwise, it is explicitly not your gently caress to give if poo poo happens when you're off shift, because you're not being paid to care.

I'm both ways on this, because even on salary I don't want to be on call 120 hours a week but if I need to send read or reply to an email at home I should still be able to... Email is my lowest priority anyways... Phone calls for emergencies, texts for "get back to me asap" and emails for " I probably won't read this today"

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Right, but I am exec of a kitchen in a hotel that's open 365 from 7am to 11pm and now (suddenly) a fast casual health food buzzword breakfast and lunch eatery. If I don't answer emails or phone calls bad poo poo happens, even on my day off. And I knew that would happen when I signed up. Yeah, if I was gonna take a week off I'd redirect that poo poo but for texting "yep same order" to my bread guy each day at 3 it's fine, and if work made that hard for me they'd be shooting themselves in the foot. It's probably a little different in a larger organization but where I'm at I'm literally the only person who knows everything I do.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

JawKnee posted:

not nearly, but you're lying if you think that isn't extra work for no benefit to anyone relying on tips (and no, I don't want to start a tipping conversation over this)

It's also extra work for no benefit for all the people who rely on hourly wages without tips every night, so long as by "extra work" you mean just doing the job youre paid to show up and do.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

JawKnee posted:

itt the unironic endorsement for arbitrary increases in work without additional compensation

gently caress this industry, burn it to the ground and piss on the ashes - happiest day ever when I got out

Apparently this needs to be spelled out to you but every single customer for someone who work in every hourly job means "arbitrary extra work" for them.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I would have people rant at me about how allergic they were to gluten inside our one room bakery where there was basically a fine haze of flour in the air at all times

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

What what what? What is this nonsense?

SF City Mandate allows us to charge the guest up to 5% on the check total to offset the cost of healthcare for employees. That’s why all 140 (soon to be ~185 when new venture opens) of my employees who work more than 25hrs per week have full healthcare coverage. Health care percentages on bills are hugely necessary and valuable.

How the gently caress you think that’s “management driving a wedge between employee and guest” is beyond me. Food that is raised for you by people who are paid a living wage & have healthcare, cooked for you by people who are paid a living wage & have healthcare and served to you by people who are paid a living wage & have healthcare SHOULD be expensive. The guest should pay for it and should know that’s what they’re paying for. Time & time again restaurants try to blindly fold it into menu cost and guests revolt.

I think you misunderstood.

Paying for employees to get healthcare = good.

Dropping a sign on each individual guest that says "YOUR MEAL COSTS EXTRA BECAUSE THESE PEONS WANT ASTHMA MEDICATION" is unnecessarily contentious. You might be happy to pay $25 incl. for your meal but you might be also be annoyed at paying $16 for your meal, $2 taxes, $2 for healthcare, $2 for service, $2 for rehoming lost little kittens, and $1 air tax. Or whatever that place's douchey owner puts on there.

Like how annoying it is when you read an itemized hospital bill and learn that those extra blankets you asked for because hospital blankets are made out of one ply toilet paper cost you $45/night.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Dec 18, 2017

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I'm pretty sure it's more of a "we add this charge to ensure our employees have health insurance. If you are an utter piece of poo poo you can have this removed."

I liked it.

So if the customer complains hard enough the employees don't get healthcare anyways?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I've mandolined a shitload of things and I've never cut myself unless I was doing something dumb, like resting it on something slanted or wobbly, or cutting something overly wet/greasy, or just trying to go way too fast.

If the thing you're cutting gets too short, instead of pinching it with the tender nubs of your fingers right up against the blade, use your palm flat, like you're feeding a horse, but like, an upside down horse whose mouth is made of knives. Or just use the blade guard that's packaged with every mandoline I've ever seen.

My favorite mandoline story is a time when I came home from a day shift and found my roommates starting a barbecue. I had stuff for Cole slaw and set up my mandoline to shred everything. Washed the cabbage and didn't dry it, slipped on the wetness and nipped my finger. Went to bandage it and came back to see a very drunk girl trying to cut a carrot and before I could tell her to stop shed cut herself pretty good, and since she's all drunk the blood is FLOWING and she's freaking out, splattering everywhere. I dont get my mandoline out when company is around anymore. Also that girl got even MORE drunk after that and peed herself while passed out on our couch.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Ok guys. Ice cream scoops. I buy 2+ ice cream scoops a month. I've bought fancy ones from Williams Sonoma (there's one right by me), I've bought lovely ones from smart and final and I've ordered them in bulk from Sysco. They are all poo poo and break: the wire loop bends, the gears strip, the whole head snaps off. What's an ice cream scoop/disher that wont goddamn break on me? I have a one piece no moving parts scoop as a backup but sometimes I want the look of an ice cream box, a nice hemisphere. Where do I get?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
It's not me, it's my cooks, and usually how it goes is I see an order or ice cream come up that looks like it was squeezed together with someone's bare hands, because that's exactly what they did after breaking the god drat ice cream scoop.

I have a couple classic scoops, as well as a spoon that makes quenelles.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
We keep the scoops in a Bain Marie of hot water. Honestly I have no idea I just want a recommendation for an indestructible ice cream scoop.

And yes you can make quenelles with any spoon but most spoons are designed to transfer food from a plate or bowl to a mouth and this one is designed to make nice one- handed quenelles with minimal effort, if I was still at work I'd take a photo of it.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
On the flip side I saw someone get a workman's comp claim paid out after separating his shoulder at old man softball, then claiming he hurt it at work doing something that staff are explicitly and repeatedly told not to do, so YMMV.

Report and document everything always, whether you are the injured party or the manager/employer. Even if you trust your employee, or trust your employer, a lawyer from one side or the other absolutely will show up to gently caress up everyones poo poo.

One time I splashed hot oil on myself at work. It was really gruesome to look at but actually just a light burn, just big. Three days later we had a management retreat and the look of horror on our HR lady's face when she saw it, and asked it it had happened at work, and had been documented, was indescribable.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

iospace posted:

How's the wait staff looking?

ready to get down

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
The only way to make peeling 100lbs of garlic a better option than buying it peeled is if you live in a country where slaves exist

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Industrial food processing machinery in Gilroy, California.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Maybe you could find out if there's a good reason for it, before jumping to the conclusion that your manager at your new job arbitrarily hates you and wants to make your life difficult.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Turkeybone posted:

I understood that reference.

So good of you to check in every 4 months you sellout motherfucker grats bruh

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I only have one fryer but part of closing is draining the oil, and scrubbing/rinsing the inside. If the oil is still clean we strain it through a filter and refill it, oil usually last 2-3 nights.

Penisaurus: we just added a new bar consultant and he said something that really hit me: "If you're having to educate your clientele to get them into your product, you aren't selling the right product for the market." If the people in your town don't want or appreciate clear ice, or cocktails with more than 2 ingredients in them, you're just going to drive yourself crazy trying to shove it down their throats. That isn't to say that you can't or shouldn't push limits, but be mindful.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Thoht posted:

I'm not disputing that costing is very important and that profitability is always something you have to be mindful of. I was merely taking a shot at your comment that "All menu changes should be concerned with profitability, first and foremost" which I think is really overstating your point.

It kind of isn't though, there's really no justification for making unprofitable menu changes or decisions when running a business for profit. No matter how good perfect or delicious something is, and no matter how much you want to sell it, if it's not generating profits it will slowly and surely kill your business. It's honestly worse if it's popular and unprofitable.

Example: I worked at a resort that started a promotion designed to bring in customers during our slowest happy hour day. Tuesdays from 4 to 6, every appetizer on the menu was half off. It was incredibly popular- to the point where the kitchen staff started talking about "take it in the rear end tuesdays," loading all saute pans into the convection open during prep time to preheat, etc. The problem was, we were selling scallops, abalone, etc. for a loss, and selling $5 happy hour sangria nowhere near made up for selling abalone that costs $75/lb for $11 a plate. The customers loved it, but it was a terrible idea because nobody considered the profitability of it.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Thoht posted:

I Sure, the produce we get is pretty fantastic but we could definitely get away with using cheaper stuff and I believe the majority of our customers wouldn't know the difference. But the chef likes being able to support these folks we're working with.

Im not trying to keep the derail train going for too long and I clipped most of your post but:

If you want to support local farmers, cool. If you have to operate with a higher food cost to do so that's more of a moral decision than a financial one I guess

All that money that the chef "just doesn't feel like making" because he's not into running a "money machine" would probably be really appreciated by the lowest paid tier of employees in his business. If you're some whos *just totally over money,* charging the market price and redistributing the additional profit to the people who are helping you earn it seems a little better than squandering their labor.

I believe in and really appreciate chef-driven restaurants and running fun specials with interesting ideas that aren't meant for mass production is an awesome thing to do. As a customer they're a feature of the restaurant. As an operator, they add value. You can do both.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
no it isn't

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Ha! You sure showed that dying person what was what! Wanted to taste pizza one last time? Not on your watch!

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Hauki posted:

Man I gotta be honest, if I were on my deathbed desperately craving pizza, and my only option was drinking a pizza-flavored milkshake, I’d opt for like, a chocolate malt instead.

That should probably be up to you, the terminally ill person in major organ failure, and not to a haughty cook in the commissary.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

If every cook and dishwasher made $15 here it'd increase daily labor another $10k. Where do we make that? Please, I'd love to know how to make up that difference. Oh, and if every single employee in the hotel made $15, daily labor would increase 80k. Where do we make up that difference?

Of course I know that corporate lobbying etc, etc have shaped the current wage stagnation and inflation issues. But aside from widespread unionization(not going to happen) or actual labor reform, what the hell am I supposed to do? Not like I have the capital to open a restaurant that serves 100% humanely raised, organic, non-GMO, etc, etc food, pay every employee a good wage, and somehow turn a profit so I can put money back into the business and expand.

But no, just go ahead and say "increase menu prices 50 cents" and expect that to fix it.

How many full time hourly cooks and dishwashers every day? Because even if you're paying them all only texas minimum wage right now you'd need to have 160+ employees to hit that number, and adding 50 cents to each menu item In a place that has that large of a staff should absolutely cover that.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Mar 29, 2018

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Making three times what your staff makes while working in a highly profitable business while saying there's no possible way to increase their pay sounds pretty bourgeois.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

You think he does 20k items a night?

Across 7 outlets in a facility that he says does millions in revenue a month? Uh yeah, probably. And remember that that is the theoretical maximum number that it could possibly be, given the information we have. It could very well be lower if he is not currently paying every cook and dishwasher the minimum legal wage, but since throwing out the one number he's been surprisingly coy.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

that's a mathematical stretch to make 20 = 3 x 11. This thread's a bit of a circular firing squad right now. Union/strike is how to get living wages i.e. KY/OK/WV teachers but I doubt kitchen labor will ever organize that much. If CDC were to up everyone's wages I think he'd find himself unemployed especially in texas.

Minimum wage in Texas is $7, not 11. 7x3 is close enough to 20, even if you assume a chef has the same above-pay benefits as every dishwasher, which I am certain is not the case.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 30, 2018