Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

TheKennedys posted:

It's me, I'm the idiot :(

let's keep this one in the back pocket for the next thread's title in however many years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Samizdata posted:

If that was true, no business would ever go under.

if paying people an appropriate wage causes a business to go under then it probably doesn't deserve to stay afloat, hth.

"everybody else is doing it" is a lovely excuse that didn't fly in elementary school and if you're using it as an adult you should go back there.

Trebuchet King fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 30, 2017

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Samizdata posted:

I was rather arguing the reductio ad absurdum nature of the quoted post. I think people should be paid for labor.

I thought that might be the case; either way it reminded me of sentiments I hadn't expressed in a while.

really the main argument i'm seeing against paying people for work is :effort: and uh, that's pretty ironic, right?

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I was more referring to

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

You guys aren't wrong, people should be paid for their stages. But right now, they aren't, and I'm not going to change that.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

more like "Ah i'm too lazy to try and make a positive impact on the world around me and all the people calling me out on it are crybabies BLOO BLOO"

edit: https://twitter.com/dril/status/134787490526658561

Trebuchet King fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jul 31, 2017

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

The precedent aet by the industry sucks and it's the industry perpetuating it.

Change can only be made from the inside. A good example is the places that are removing tips, paying everyone fairly and raising prices. its working too

pretty much this

waiting around for someone else to start making changes is a great way to make sure changes never happen.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

If you're as lazy physically as you are intellectually, you aren't a chef, you're a fry cook with someone else's checkbook. You can cry all you want about how we're being mean to you because we desire that people in a position to do the right thing to actually do it, but at the end of the day, you're the hack who's jerking off. The real entitlement is someone with a steady paycheck complaining that people who don't should be able to afford to work for free.

:shittypop:

well said, your cockatoo would be proud of your savagery.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

i'm FoH/admin, more admin than FoH these days though.

edit: i might try to jump over to a hotel kitchen opening up in the redevelopment next door though.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Hm, an interesting development.

for context, at the marina I live at I run a little breakfast buffet for our members and guests every saturday during the boating season--me and a bunch of other members get up and make it happen, and it's nothing too fancy. Bacon, fruit salad, yogurts, croissants, omelet bar, etc. We've got all the appropriate city licensing to serve food and I have my documentation. It's fun but I've long thought of it just a way to blow off the stress of the work week, and when people have complimented me on it before I'd generally graciously deflect (couldn't do it without other volunteers, etc., that kind of thing) but thank them for the compliment all the same. Usually we'd serve low 30s, coverwise, but we've gotten as high as 60.

Today I got an email from a member asking me if I'd be willing to cook for around 30 people for a week as part of an OBX wedding.

It's soon enough that I'm not sure I could get the time off, so this is a huge if. The soonness also makes me wonder if a previous plan fell through. I'm working on a response in my head, and the first and most obvious question is of course compensation. I'm going to ask for a couple days just to try and mull logistics, etc. but mostly so I can get my boss's (who has done this kind of thing before) opinion since Thursday's when next both he and I are working together.

I guess the next questions after compensation would be menu needs/expectations, budget for additional hands (for serving or prep or whatever), what the kitchen is like...honestly I'm daunted enough by being asked my brain's kinda freewheeling.

If nothing else this is making me more confident that jumping to the other side of the house would be a good move, I guess.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Well, we do charge for the breakfast, but that's still a really good point, since it's just to cover costs. Thanks, I will definitely take that under advisement.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I applied around, already got some call backs for sous positions, and one catering manager position. I'll bounce back in a week or two no problem. I've also got a full size paycheck coming my way and 10k in my 401k if I absolutely have to.

e: lawyer bud said I should sue them since the employee handbook prohibit s the use of antipsychotics, which is a violation of the ADA, but I doubt it's worth my time or effort.

what did we spend like the first four pages of this thread screaming about

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

update re: wedding thing--

yeah, i got pretty lowballed. room and board were included but travel was not unless i drove (which would require a car) in which case i'd be reimbursed for gas. it was kinda moot anyways because that's the same week the boss's kid is back in the states and he'll be taking time off appropriately, so if i took off too then the assistant boss would have her job plus my job and the boss's job so yeah that wasn't gonna happen.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

if that's directed at me i would have gotten paid, just like half what i was advised would be an acceptable rate.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

bongwizzard posted:

I mean, I think you will find that there are a million exceptions for dangerous work, or do you think a bus driver can take whatever? But you are only in a position to hurt yourself, so again, do whatever you want.

bongwizzard if someone's on blood thinners and bleeds all over the drat place from a mandolin slice are you gonna tell them they shouldnt work in a kitchen on blood thinners?

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

mostly my dude we don't get why you're ignoring the literal actual concussion, which happened independently of the drugs. the concussion would/could have happened if he wasn't on drugs at all.

if you get concussed at work, and they fuckin' fire you, that's hosed up.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Last time I was home (Charleston) I really wanted she-crab soup so I typed that into google maps and went with the top option, which ended up being a little place off the market called...Lowcountry Bistro? The soup was good.

But yeah, every now and then I'll bring up someplace and then it turns out it's gone! I hope the Fast & French on Broad St. never closes though.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

i started lexapro and jesus it makes me feel...fuzzy? like i feel better overall but gently caress if my attention span ain't shot to poo poo now. would benzos help there or should i stick to my original plan to supplement with an adderall scrip?

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Yeah, this one's been weird just because my previous experience was with viibryd/viladozone which had a faster rampup but also gave me gnarly shits.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

ok pet peeve posting time:

when i'm setting up the patio, and it's half an hour until we open for service, and i've told you that, but you just lurk watching me set up for half an hour. it's like, would you turn up early at a friend's when they invite you over for dinner so you can watch them clean and set up and poo poo?

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

oh, of course--i just think it's bizarre behavior and it makes me question people's upbringing

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

well, apparently new zealand has hospitality industry shortages and america keeps breaking my heart so i started the immigration application process. keep y'all's fingers crossed for me.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

how hard am i going to have to hit people to keep them from putting empty CO2 tanks where full ones go? second time we've had to call in an emergency CO2 delivery this summer.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

yeah in fairness i don't think amahd is talking like a one on one meeting but like a full blown all-hands staff meeting

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

A while back the restaurant I work at ended up on postmates somehow with a three years out-of-date menu. It was "fun" dealing with phone calls trying to order items we literally didn't have ingredients for.

Although perhaps I shouldn't airquote because the "if they already paid you that sounds like your problem not ours" part was pretty satisfying. I forget how many phone calls it ended up taking to get us taken off.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

after firsthand witnessing things like "hey so this other bartender the other night made me this drink i really liked but i don't remember it, can you make it for me?" i'm willing to believe that a not insignificant percentage of bar consumers don't have a clue what they're doing

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

what was your dishwasher doing answering the phone

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

i'm just kind of perplexed by the idea of phones being anywhere close enough to the kitchen crew to be a distraction

unless like the dishwasher is like flirting with the hostess or something, i guess?

the problem we've been having is that we don't really do reservations outside of our friday and saturday night jazz in the upstairs dining room--our main dining room and patio are first come/first serve, but mystery servers keep taking reservations over the phone for like 7 PM downstairs and I don't see enough handwriting to be able to tell who it is yet.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Mezzanon posted:

nobody actually follows these policies.

industry in a nutshell

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

today i had to cover for a sick server instead of doing office poo poo, and honestly, i felt kinda guilty making all of that money while she was sick at home.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

We allow dogs on the patio and service dogs in the dining room; the only degree it’s ever come close to really causing an issue is when people don’t keep the dogs out from underfoot, and when that happens I just politely remind the guests that our servers are carrying hot food and we’d hate to drop it on such an adorable pup.

Except I usually manage to sound less like a mafia insurance extortion racket, I guess.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

midwesterners.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

the frustration i have with third party delivery apps is when we get a phone call for a carryout item that hasn’t been on our menu in years and they have the gall to say “well we already took their payment” like that’s somehow our problem.

did you ask us to take part in this? no. you ripped an outdated menu off of some two-bit tripadvisor and decided you could make a buck off of us. we owe you nothing, and now we’re stuck dealing with people blaming us for your poor service decisions.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

https://twitter.com/SirajAHashmi/status/940064434717843456

so on whom are we placing our bets?

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

jose andres would be the singularly most devastating, but i'm thinking keller.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

well, it’s batali:

https://twitter.com/eaterny/status/940204792936267777

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

yeah i feel like it’s more a general guy thing than it is an any particular flavor of guy thing. institutionalized patriarchy, etc.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

You know earlier i was tempted to post something about AMAHD but he hasn't said anything in a while so I didn't want to just make fun of him or out words in his moutn.

Now he showed up and went full idiot so I don't even have to feel bad!

he’d been probated for like a month

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

shrimp actually just came up recently in sietsema’s q&a.

some of it’s presentation, some of it’s to keep the tail from burning in certain prep methods, since it’s narrower than the rest of the shrimp.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Is D&D still super toxic? I’ll admit I like the idea but trying to explain all these issues to regular people is...daunting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

hm, i have absolutely zero patience when it comes to libertarians so maybe i should stay away. oh well.