Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

LordHippoman posted:

I loved this game a lot. It's real good, folks.

Some minor details about the ending I want to put in spoilers so people don't see them before they watch the video:

-I thought the last puzzle was a bit of a letdown at first, since it's like, one room and two steps, but I ended up liking it, looking back. Storywise the "real" final challenge is Lucas forgiving himself, so I think it's fair if the actual puzzle the player has to solve isn't that tough.

it also completes the circle/closes the loop of the game's plot on a more surface-level literal way too. It didn't occur to me until afterwards that the timer for the bomb is the exact same pocketwatch we've been using all this time. That's presumably what Sixpence is frantically searching the safe in chapel for, and why he goes: "LUCAS WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!" The synchronised clocks Sixpence invented are being used as the timers for the explosion. It's also why the pocket watch is all broken and burnt up at the beginning. (Looking back at the first video, Lafcadio never actually retrieves the pocket watch from the Chapel, it's handed to him by the bloody girl.) It's literally the bomb timer that was half blown-up by the explosion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Yeah, it's a shame that the schedule of events is railroaded and actually a lot less complicated than it initially appears, but I suppose that's a practical constraint. A mansion that reacted to you doing things to save people and allowed you to save multiple people in a single run would take an order of magnitude more labour/money to build as you'd have to account for so many more different permutations of the basic scenario. It would be really interesting to see what a version of the Sexy Brutale made on a AAA-studio budget and unlimited development time would look like, but it is what it is.

The mansion being a dream isn't the most original twist in the world and did leave me feeling a bit cheated at there being no elegant puzzle-solution that I could theoretically have figured out in advance. That's kind of the expectation you enter a puzzle game with I guess, that the entire game is a puzzle set by the developers for you to solve, and the Sexy Brutale turned into more of a story book at the end, and the plot itself is a little too simplistic for me to feel that a genre-switch at the end is really warranted. It's still really good for what it is though.

quote:

There's also the loading issues, and this thing where, at least on controller, sometimes Lafcadio just does not want to open the drat door and you end up having to hit A like, four times.

Yeah, and the PC version has issues with the camera/resolution as well that really make the lack of camera adjustment options grate. On my monitor I routinely get issues in some rooms with doors being off screen so you have to fumble around with clicking while Lafcadio's offscreen and just hope you hit the door. Still worth the relatively modest purchase price though.

Hidingo Kojimba fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Aug 7, 2017

• Locked thread