Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Used to listen to a fuckload of podcasts during school/work/exercise, still do. I feel like I've gone in and out of a lot of podcasts, some of it is phases, vibes, my taste in humor. I remember listening to a shitload of MBMBAM, years and years ago I think starting before they got on MaxFun...and at some point I stopped, despite it once being my favorite comedy podcast. They're still fine, but it doesn't click with me the way it once did. I'll still be around for every new Till Death Do us Blart though
The same happened with Uhh Yeah Dude, but I recently reconnected with that, managed to dip back in...and it almost has the same appeal it did when that was my favorite comedy podcast.
Hell I remember when I'd just listen to a shitload of...The Bone Zone???? as my current comedy podcast flavor. Yeah, I've totally forgotten about that, but there was a phase in my life when I was all about that and their humor style, and now I can barely remember the podcast name. I'll check back in to see if there've been more Davey guest eps.
And now I'm enjoying the comedy stylings of Cum Town to some degree. Although they hit a pet peeve I have with a lot of comedy podcasts, including ones I named already, in that standup comedians from The Dollop to Cum Town to The Bone Zone to whatever are always pretty tryhard with their humor. I mean, it's their job. They're always taking shots, so to speak. That's why I can appreciate the casual sort of vibes UYD brings to the table.
I do enjoy We Hate Movies, but not as much and prolifically as I used to either, and I entirely burned out of listening to the Dollop ages ago. A lot of this is just me changing, the podcasts changing, and just overexposure, I'm sure.
Similarly I used to listen to a lot of Hardcore History, but the dude has just gotten kind of repetitive and lame for me when it comes to better options like...anything Mike Duncan is doing. Also used to binge Skeptoid & Sword and Scale but I eventually learned both were hosted by kind of worthless creeps in their own way, with Skeptoid it's still at least worth a listen occasionally I guess. Sword and Scale I abandoned a while ago, it's just puerile Nancy Grace type trash, Casefile is better for true crime anyway.

Uhh Yeah Dude
The classic conversational comedy podcast recommendation. A real granddaddy podcast that has stood the test of time. I think the most credit I can give it is that unlike a lot of these flavors of the month, or even flavors of the year(s), I can dip back into UYD after many many episodes and it still (mostly) holds the same appeal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xluqh7SdMLc

Chapo Trap House
The premier political humor podcast imo, not that there are a lot of great options for good political podcasts whether they're comedic or not. It's just solid leftist politics and humor from the dirtbag twitter left, really hit their stride during the 2016 election.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYp_6DcUzbU&t=43s

It's too recent to list among my favorites, but similar to Chapo Trap House, Trillbilly Worker's Party is a fun political/humor podcast from a bunch of Appalachians. Just the sort of accents you wanna hear joking & discussing leftist politics. They're a really likable bunch compared to the Chapo crew, but not quite as good...yet.

I like The F Plus and Lou Reads the Internet for You okay. They're fine for what they are and usually about as good/revolting/entertaining as whatever internet text they're reading that day. Nothing gamechanging.
I listen to a decent chunk of basketball/NBA podcasts but I can't really assume everyone wants recommendations for stuff like that. The Lowe Post, The Starters, etc.

In terms of historical stuff, Revolutions, Inward Empire, Our Fake History, all decent, though the latter tends to be more entertainment/comedic delving into historical myths. Revolutions and Inward Empire tend to be more dry/informative compared to stuff like Hardcore History, but they're really good quality historical podcasts.

I guess the big trending series like Serial and S-Town kind of go without saying. Similarly Untold: the Daniel Morgan Murder has its moments.

So in terms of what's lasted...in terms of what I'd say are my absolute favorites, it's probably only Uhh Yeah Dude and Chapo Trap House. We Hate Movies, Trillbilly Worker's Party, F-Plus, and Cum Town are a lot of fun though.

Punkin Spunkin has a new favorite as of 06:23 on Jul 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

The Lobotomy Kid posted:

Most of my favourites have already been mentioned here, but a fairly new podcast I really like is E1. It's by some weird/chapo adjacent twitter guys and each episode is supposed to be the pilot to some kind of new podcast. The highlight so far is probably episode three which is this increasingly absurd, yet deadpan oral history of the Detroit Pistons.
Can I get another link to this? It's too generic a podcast name and new so it's hard for me to find it. link is broken. I like the premise, isn't that kinda what Lowtax does on his podcast?

• Locked thread