Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I totally understand 7c Nickel's viewpoint about We Hate Movies. For a while there I was tapering off listening to every new episode, and couldn't articulate why. I thought part of it was just that I didn't care about the movies they covered, but it wasn't until the Power Rangers movie (of all things) where it clicked, after the third thing they complained about something not happening / something that happened that was front and center. I mean, I get that they were watching it hoping for a trainwreck that wound up being an inoffensive Breakfast-Club-With-Robots film, but it kinda retroactively made me think about everything I was already thinking.

Anyway, my list, in no particular order (and despite wherever I link to, you can pull these down on any old podcast device):

This Was Rad - co-hosted by goon Neilpeartnoy, TWR had a unique gimmick for over 100 episodes: two mid-30s men talk about the movies of the 80s that they grew up with, combined with one of the host's 14 (now 15) year old daughter. The daughter has since left the show (spoiler alert: that movie you think everyone loves? The new generation doesn't), but I'm still in love with the show because the two hosts are capable of compartmentalizing their former and current appreciation for the movies they review. Their core end-of-line is two questions: Was This Rad? (Was this movie fun as a kid when you watched it, or would you have loved this movie had you watched it as a kid), and Is This Rad?, where the question is the same, but for today. It's refreshing to hear people honestly realize that the 80s films they idolized were, generously, crap. And usually racist as poo poo. I was on episode 66, where they covered Killer Klowns From Outer Space.

CadaverCast: A Father-Son Monster Movie Podcast - An incredibly charming podcast. Jef Burnam and his 5yo son Alistair cover the classic (and not so classic) monster movie films. Both hosts are outstanding, but as you might expect, Alistair steals the stage. They alternate between covering specific monster movies, and "Al's Monster Stampede", where Al discusses a type of monster, how to defend yourself against it, and any speciic movies you should watch to assist in your research.

Quote Unquote Guilty is a wonderful long-form podcast where host Joe Sanders (and others) talk about movies that they not-so-secretly love. They aren't blinded by nostalgia - they rip into the movies just as much as anyone would - but they go in depth about what they loved about the movie as well. I'd recommend a listen to their latest episode on 1998's Godzilla, where they discuss at length about how the real misstep of the movie was not letting audiences see the titular monster before the movie came out. People would've gotten their NOT MY GODZILLA nonsense out of their systems months before the movie actually came out. I was on an episode about Freddy Vs Jason that hasn't come out yet.

The Greatest Generation is self-described as a Star Trek podcast by two guys (Benjamin Ahr Harrison and Adam Pranica) who are a little bit embarassed to be doing a Star Trek podcast. Funny as hell, the show pokes fun at The Next Generation in a way that more Roddenberry-aligned Trek podcasts refuse to go. It's almost required to start from the beginning of the podcast's run due to the amount of gags and callbacks the hosts make to characters (after all, you won't know what a Drunk Shimoda is until you've heard them cover The Naked WhicheverOneWasTNG), but it's totally worth doing. This show made me abandon Misson Long, because I realized I wanted to laugh at this show, and thanks to these guys, I do.

Ranger Danger is a Power Rangers podcast, and it's one of two that I listen to often. I can't tell you which one I like more (which is probably why I have two PR podcasts on my phone), but I can say I love Mathew and Michael's exasperation with a show from their childhood. Actuely aware of how bad the show was and is, they convey a resigned sense that had the budget been a dollar more, if the targeted age range was one number higher, bits and pieces of it might've been more entertaining. They really shine when there's a plot that was legitimately interesting or compelling, even if it was entirely on accident. This is a podcast where a host can claim early in the episode that they hate the show, but ten minutes later say they love it. They also bounce around a bit; covering newer Power Rangers episodes and comics that have come out. Perhaps best codifying the tone of Ranger Danger is their opinion on the new movie: they liked it for all the things it did that the original show never could, or never would, because it was a 90s tv show for babies, and this wasn't. They also have regular guests on, with varying experience with the show. Some know more than the host, and some are seeing the show for the first time. Quite funny, as well.

The second Power Rangers podcast I keep on my phone is The Morphin Grid. Jake and Josh are a laugh riot as they navigate the series with varying degrees of anger and annoyance. Sometimes they go on tangents and their What-Was-The-Pink-Ranger bit can skew a little creepy, but I'm not kidding when I say these dudes are funny as hell, covering a show that they sometimes can't yell at hard enough for being a stupid show for babies. They have some minor technical issues with some early episodes not being linked to properly, but they say they are working on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread