Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

wafflemoose posted:

Yeah, Underworld Ascendant doesn't really feel like an Ultima Underworld game, instead feeling more like Might and Magic: Dark Messiah. I kept expecting you to kick the lizardmen off cliffs and into traps.

A big part of the Ultima experience is interacting with the NPC's and how you choose to treat those people. That wasn't the focus of the demo so we didn't get to see any of that, and I think it'll make a big difference when it comes to the feel of things. Honestly, I think the new Prey is the gold standard for a modernized UU type game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
/\/\/\ Yeah.

rojogames posted:

Underworld Ascendant Pre-Alpha Gameplay (August 2017) - Challenge of Ishtass

While not strictly related to our Ultima Underworld playthrough, I believe it was brought up earlier in the thread. They recently released a pre-alpha build, so I decided to back the project so I could try it out. I thought some of you who are following the thread might be interested.

Yeah, that was me. :cheers::homebrew:

It looks pretty good so far in your video, but I'm gonna wait for release to even try it myself. Prerelease dripfeeds aren't my thing.

wafflemoose posted:

Yeah, Underworld Ascendant doesn't really feel like an Ultima Underworld game, instead feeling more like Might and Magic: Dark Messiah. I kept expecting you to kick the lizardmen off cliffs and into traps.

They really need to up their tech demo game, huh?:keke:

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 20 - Hopping Toward Death
We take on the Puzzle of the Bullfrog and also check a look at the floor below. No I don't make the connection that the puzzle I previously thought was the Bullfrog was not, in fact, that.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!
I'm late enough watching ep. 19 that episode 20 has been posted, so no spoiler tags on these notes for episode 19.

pre:
Clues found near the shrine on the W side of level 4:

The maze conceals many chambers. One is said to lead to a chamber once used by the knights.
Lorne went to the homeland of the Trolls in the hope of building a shrine.
To pass into the unseen, jump through the seen.
The maze is locked with a key that is now thought to be lost. (Roderick had it.)
The heights of the north have a hidden counterpart.
The Bullfrog puzzle has a simple solution, but there is more than meets the eye in that place.

Knight Ree (Lady Ree?) told us of a golem "below" that they would challenge to a test of might.
The Golem lives on in island in the middle of lava, in the land of the Seers, below.
It's indestructible, but honorable: if you fight well, it will sometimes reward you.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 21 - Enchantments Everywhere
We begin our journey back to Shak and explore some things we missed on the way.

turol
Jul 31, 2017
Puzzle of the Bullfrog: There's a fake wall on the east wall. Raise the southeast corner and jump through it.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

Two-part notes this time since I only just managed to watch episode 20, and episode 21 had very little to write down.

Ep. 20 -

pre:

Past the Bullfrog puzzle, there were a bunch of empty graves.
Some of them have names on them, others have decorations (all different) across the top.
Near Garamon's grave there was an excellent light mace.
Near "Unknown"'s grave was a broken hilt.
By the grave across from "Unknown" was a note that gave us the Lahn mantra.
Mantra "Lahn" = Lore
Near Sir Sturmvak's grave was a worn tower shield.
Near Lady Gwytha's grave was a serviceable axe.
Near Sir Nog's grave was a serviceable jeweled mace.
Near a set of three graves, one "Unknown", was a serviceable crossbow.

Signs in SW of grave area: "Here lie those Gargoyles who perished during the great plague
shortly after the foundation of the Colony of the Abyss. The effort they made to
improve the Abyss shall not be forgotten. Although no more gargoyles will reside in the
Abyss, we thank them for the sacrifice they made." "Sacrifice"? Sounds important.
Ep. 21 -

pre:

Turns out Sir Nog's jeweled mace was magical: Minor Accuracy.

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014
That one locked door is unlocked by the golden Bandit key from Floor 3.

The simple* solution to the Bullfrog puzzle, Part 1:

turol posted:

Puzzle of the Bullfrog: There's a fake wall on the east wall. Raise the southeast corner and jump through it.

Part 2:

* There's an even simpler but very finicky one.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 22 - Justice and Sacrifice
The Avatar returns to Shak to have one of his finds identified, and follows up with the man who is seemingly obsessed with lights.

There's a lot more editing that I normally like to do in this one. However, it was sort of necessary - there was a lot of inventory shenanigans and traveling around. The raw footage was around 50 minutes long.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Going by the map, it looked like there may have been a secret door or something behind that chest you found on level 4.

I don't remember any of this stuff with the various artefacts you're recovering. It could just be that I'm forgetting because it's been like twenty years since I played Ultima Underworld... but I'm pretty sure I missed something pretty significant at the end of the game (and still finished it). It makes me wonder if I just missed all this and still got through (assuming you need these artefacts for something important). I mean I'm wondering how much leeway the game gives you to miss stuff and still complete it.

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014
Wands and sceptres with 'no full charges' still offer more; the longer you let them rest in between uses, the longer they last. If you click on a wand too quickly, it'll snap and become useless. And yes, there's an undiscovered secret room on floor 4, and one on floor 3 as well.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

There's definitely a suspiciously blank region on your map by the "maze" in the northwest. And wasn't there a scroll saying the northern area had a hidden counterpart? Or does this refer to somewhere else?

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

Notes for ep. 22:

pre:

Mantra "FAL" for Acrobatics

Behind the chest that you found in the watery area of level 4, there's a secret
door (that you missed) visible on the map, leading south.

In the crystal orb on level 4, you saw a room with two men in blue robes. Sages?

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!
Apologies for the late update guys. Been sick for the past few days, but there's an episode coming for later today as long as some random internet issue doesn't come up.

Added.

Crazy Achmed posted:

There's definitely a suspiciously blank region on your map by the "maze" in the northwest. And wasn't there a scroll saying the northern area had a hidden counterpart? Or does this refer to somewhere else?

I'm not certain, but I believe we've explored that entire area.

Old Grey Guy posted:

Wands and sceptres with 'no full charges' still offer more; the longer you let them rest in between uses, the longer they last. If you click on a wand too quickly, it'll snap and become useless. And yes, there's an undiscovered secret room on floor 4, and one on floor 3 as well.

That's interesting. Had no idea those mechanics existed. Might pick up that scepter again next time we visit Shak.

rojovision fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Sep 6, 2017

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 23 - Ghouls and Ghosts
The Avatar ventures deeper into the Abyss and meets some unexpected allies...and powerful foes.

turol
Jul 31, 2017
When you were looking for a way out of the catacombs in one of the previous videos you were looking on the wrong wall. The door is sneakily on the "side" wall of the last chamber. There's at least one more secret door in the catacombs you've missed.

You do have something that can be tailored but based on your comments I think you knew that.

That key might also open the portcullis, can't remember. If it doesn't you're pretty well stuck and need to use the silver sapling to get out of there.

Do NOT waste wand charges or spells in combat with enemies which try to get close. It's painful to watch that. They're only usable either when the enemies are running away (looking at you, lurkers) or when there's a pit or something in the way so they can't get to you.

This also makes a pure mage build nonviable. I think this is the most significant problem in the game's balancing.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

turol posted:

When you were looking for a way out of the catacombs in one of the previous videos you were looking on the wrong wall. The door is sneakily on the "side" wall of the last chamber. There's at least one more secret door in the catacombs you've missed.

You do have something that can be tailored but based on your comments I think you knew that.

That key might also open the portcullis, can't remember. If it doesn't you're pretty well stuck and need to use the silver sapling to get out of there.

Do NOT waste wand charges or spells in combat with enemies which try to get close. It's painful to watch that. They're only usable either when the enemies are running away (looking at you, lurkers) or when there's a pit or something in the way so they can't get to you.

This also makes a pure mage build nonviable. I think this is the most significant problem in the game's balancing.

Indeed we do have something that we can give to the tailor. I couldn't recall if we would meet someone nearby who would give us a hint about it, but we'll probably go ahead and get that item made next time. I was trying to mix things up with the wands, but yeah, the distance required to unleash a targeted spell is pretty unforgiving so we'll have to try that again sometime in a less claustrophobic area. As for the secret door situation, maybe we'll check that out next time we're nearby.

The key does open the portcullis. I tested it after I finished recording.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I paused the video at the point where you accidentally clicked through the dialogue options too quickly, and the only option besides what you chose seemed to be "A moment... Couldst thou tell me thy problem again?" - so I don't think we missed anything.

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014

turol posted:

A high-INT or a high-DEX character is definitely a challenge run, and that 'imbalance' is intentional. When you had to shell out the equivalent of about fifty-odd dollars, you wanted a fair amount of replayabilty, and there's nothing stopping you from re-rolling your character until you've got one you think is viable.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

My personal life is getting busier, so I may not be able to continue writing notes for the episodes — or the notes might be several days after the videos are posted. If someone else wants to take on the role of writing notes, I'd be happy to hand off the baton to them.

That said, here are the notes I wrote for ep. 23:

pre:

Ghoul named Shanklick said troll had baron's daughter.
Troll apparently took her to mad wizard's lair on level 7.
Sages are on level 6.

Ghoul named Eyesnack used to be musician, taught us Mardin's Song of Wonder.
Notes to play on flute: 3 5 4 2 3 7 8 7 5
Apparently, if you play that in the right place, a "wondrous" thing can happen.

Ghoul named Kneenibble wants ten fish for the "mine dispatch chamber" combination.

Mantra ROMM gives you thief skills of some kind.

Also... don't you have scales of some fire-resistent beast? The red ones in your bag?
Could the ghoul tailor make you boots from those so you can walk on lava?

Killed the ghost of Nolant, who murdered young Endicott in cold blood.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Antistar01 posted:

I paused the video at the point where you accidentally clicked through the dialogue options too quickly, and the only option besides what you chose seemed to be "A moment... Couldst thou tell me thy problem again?" - so I don't think we missed anything.

Cool. Glad we didn't miss anything super important.

No worries! Thanks for your effort so far.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 24 - Lava Love
We visit a tailor to commission a very helpful item and encounter an old, lonely soul.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 25 - Familiar Places
The Avatar gathers many glowing stones in his pac and travels through the ether to a familiar location.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Since it's the first post after a new video:

That does indeed look like the classic Pac-Man map layout.

Also I can't promise to always think of it while watching, but here are some notes for episode 25:

- An Corp Mani "deals great blows to undead"
- Stealth mantra is MUL

Personally though I think you should make your own notes, on paper, as in days of old. :corsair:

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

Had a bit of time today, so I finished episodes 24 and 25 and wrote some notes:

Ep. 24:

pre:

Kneenibble said there are three dials on the wall which go from 0 to 7.
Straight up = 0, NE = 1, E = 2, etc., NW = 7.
Set dials to 7-2-6 from left to right (NW-E-W), then pull lever. Then teleport to mine.

Found Judy waiting near the lava, wanting word of Tom.
Ep. 25:

pre:

... A thought. Does the layout of this mine, by any chance, resemble a Pac-Man maze?
And there's a white ghost, a blue ghost... yep. It's a Pac-Man reference. Wonderful!

Spell "An Corp Mani" harms undead.
Mantra MUL helps with Stealth

turol
Jul 31, 2017
Wands and scepters don't recover charges as far as I know.

The scroll of Reveal has a very nice use later in the game where it can be used to skip a fetch quest and a long maze.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Cool, adding stuff now. Thanks, guys.

turol posted:

The scroll of Reveal has a very nice use later in the game where it can be used to skip a fetch quest and a long maze.

Oh someone thought that they did recharge. It doesn't much matter either way. We have so many of the things. Though I may save a few to try something out on the lower floors. As for the scroll, I think I know what you mean. We may or may not use it, but we'll hang on to it for now.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Oh dear. I thought the map layout in the preview image looked familiar...

turol
Jul 31, 2017

rojogames posted:

As for the scroll, I think I know what you mean. We may or may not use it, but we'll hang on to it for now.

It's more of a speedrun strategy, I'm not sure it would be appropriate for a "serious" LP. You could mention that "this is the place where we'd use it" when you get there though.

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014

turol posted:

They do, in fact, offer further charges if you keep them and let them rest for an in-game while, even though those are not shown on the items' text. They only break when you click on them too quickly.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 26 - The Scholars Below
The Avatar ventures to the sixth floor of the Abyss and makes contact with some very important people.

rojovision fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Sep 15, 2017

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Your link is going to episode 20 rather than 26. I thought I was getting deja vu for a moment there. :v:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Antistar01 posted:

Your link is going to episode 20 rather than 26. I thought I was getting deja vu for a moment there. :v:

poo poo, I thought it was just me, so I didn't say anything.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
this rules

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Antistar01 posted:

WHOOPS. It's definitely not because of copying and pasting. No, no definitely not.

rojovision fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Sep 15, 2017

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Now the link is going to the right video but at a timestamp about halfway through it. Sightly confusing!

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007
At 6:10, is there something under the bones on the platform? I can't tell from the video if it's just floor texture or something else.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

someone awful. posted:

Now the link is going to the right video but at a timestamp about halfway through it. Sightly confusing!

God drat it. Should be fixed now.

Pseudohog posted:

At 6:10, is there something under the bones on the platform? I can't tell from the video if it's just floor texture or something else.

As a matter of fact I think there is. We'll go back and check it out.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

Notes for ep. 26 -

pre:
The ghoul who used to play the flute said he used to "play in state hall for Cabirus".
We just found the "High State Chamber" on lvl 5: should we try playing the flute here?

Met a sage named Shenilor on lvl. 6. He used to be part of the Academy.
He told us of the library. Enter the great hall of the Academy, go W, library on left.

Nilpont directed us to the Golem. W from central chamber as far as possible, then left.

Ranthru told us about Vilus, a mage who went insane trying to do magic without runestones.
He's in the caves to the NE, which are full of monsters and traps.
Vilus took the book "On the Properties of Runestones". Return it to Ranthru.

Bronus asked us to carry a book to Morlock.

Delanrey asked us about Zak: he has her candelabra.

Fyrgen was startled out of an incense dream (and told us how to use incense: with a lit torch).
He had a terrible vision of a great demon. It could not be killed, and would have to be
"forced into leaving the world some other way". Well, THAT's not foreshadowing the final boss!

Gralwart told us how to get a Vas runestone. Go to the meeting hall to the E,
and shoot "right between the eyes". Then put an emerald on each corner platform,
walk back to the middle of the room, and press the gray button.

Dominus can identify items for us, for a small fee.

Illomo is looking for Gurstang, who went downstairs looking for the Key of Truth months ago.
Illomo things Gurstang must have fallen into the hands of Tyball, the (evil) wizard below.

Dr. Owl says Murgo was his servant, and told us where to find the Wine of Compassion.
In the checkerboard room E of the meeting hall; lift the SE floor tile.
... And he gave us a Flam stone! He's a pretty cool guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014
Magical gear to be found on floor 6:

Armour:

Crown of Great Protection
Leather Vest of Major Protection
Tower Shield of Toughness

Other:

Ruby of Restore Mana

Weapons:

Axe of Major Damage
Dagger of Very Great Damage
Jewelled Sword of Great Accuracy

I'll edit in the locations if they can't seem to be found.

• Locked thread