Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Added.

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 27 - Grappling Golems
As we explore more of the 6th floor, we encounter the golem that we've heard so much about and engage in an epic duel for a powerful artifact.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!
No notes for ep. 27, as we didn't learn anything new that we'll need to remember later.

BTW, I'm guessing that that suspiciously blank area in the NW of level 5 is accessed through level 4 like the graveyard was. In the NW of level 4, there's probably a secret door hidden behind something-or-other, which would lead to stairs to get to that area of level 5.

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014
Comments on Episode 27:

Stop worrying about emeralds. Seriously. You'll have them when and where you need them.
Morlock wears a red gown, he's among the seers in the north-eastern part of their little academy.
There's no spellcasting in the blue marble area around the Golem, and that's why neither spells nor scrolls worked. You can leave the moonstone at Shak's no problem.
As long as you don't steal any stuff, you can fight Goldthirst's golem as soon as you can cast Hur Por.
You need to explore the north-central portion of floor 5.
The empty areas in the north-west of the maps from floor 3 down aren't of any concern until later in the game.

raptus
Nov 10, 2004
- And he said "Grararararararargh" and I believed him!
Please test if you get some special dream if you first burn some incence and the go to sleep.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!
Hey, guys. Apologies for the lack of updates. I've been pretty busy this week and I'm doing some traveling over the next few days. I'm going to try to get an update ready for Monday, though.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 28 - Talisman Roundup
We explore some areas we previously missed and gather up several talismans based on the clues we've been given.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Oh, I see. The (spoilers for this video) secret door you went through to find the Book of Honesty was in a room that looked like an hourglass on the map, so you found it "behind the hourglass", like he said.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Antistar01 posted:

Oh, I see. The (spoilers for this video) secret door you went through to find the Book of Honesty was in a room that looked like an hourglass on the map, so you found it "behind the hourglass", like he said.

Yep, didn't realize it until I was editing the video.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Was your map showing a secret room off the chamber where the iron ring was?

turol
Jul 31, 2017
You should definitely do some drugs (ingame that is).

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Crazy Achmed posted:

Was your map showing a secret room off the chamber where the iron ring was?

Not sure. Hopefully not, but I'll take a look.

turol posted:

You should definitely do some drugs (ingame that is).

:v:

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 29 - Vas-t Power
The Avatar seeks out a rune of vast power and experiences a curious vision. Perhaps more visions are to come with the right incentive?

turol
Jul 31, 2017
There was something else yellow in the shitpile in one of the troll rooms.

You had a vision of a cup with the inscription "hn" on a moonlit night. Your first experience with drugs was a success, you should definitely try that again.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

turol posted:

You had a vision of a cup with the inscription "hn" on a moonlit night. Your first experience with drugs was a success, you should definitely try that again.

We definitely will!

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 30 - Crags and Crannies
We explore the domain of Vilus to recover a very overdue book for the Seers' library.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 31 - Hunt for the Cup
The Avatar must traverse many layers of the Abyss to track down Cabirus's final talisman.

rojovision fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Oct 5, 2017

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!
New upload for ep31 is up and hopefully not corrupted.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
There's no way I was smart enough as a kid to have worked out that whole puzzle to find the cup; that was pretty obtuse. (Hell, I doubt I'm smart enough now.) I wonder if I used a walkthrough? They were around back then... I remember printing out (ah, the nineties) parts of the Ultima 7 Part 2: Serpent Isle walkthrough. I love that game, but it does get messy and rushed towards the end.

Like I said earlier in the thread though, I know I missed something pretty substantial near the end of Underworld but still finished it, so maybe I missed all the artefacts too?

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Antistar01 posted:

There's no way I was smart enough as a kid to have worked out that whole puzzle to find the cup; that was pretty obtuse. (Hell, I doubt I'm smart enough now.) I wonder if I used a walkthrough? They were around back then... I remember printing out (ah, the nineties) parts of the Ultima 7 Part 2: Serpent Isle walkthrough. I love that game, but it does get messy and rushed towards the end.

Like I said earlier in the thread though, I know I missed something pretty substantial near the end of Underworld but still finished it, so maybe I missed all the artefacts too?

Yeah the cup is pretty difficult to figure out in my opinion, especially if you don't have any prior Ultima experience. I only knew what to do because I saw someone else's playthrough a few years ago.

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014

rojogames posted:

Yeah the cup is pretty difficult to figure out in my opinion, especially if you don't have any prior Ultima experience. I only knew what to do because I saw someone else's playthrough a few years ago.

Louvnon, one of the seers, gives you a hint as well.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Old Grey Guy posted:

Louvnon, one of the seers, gives you a hint as well.

The incense guy? Or is he a different one?

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 32 - Power Drain
The Avatar travels to the seventh level of the Abyss, and makes a troubling discovery.

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014

rojogames posted:

The incense guy? Or is he a different one?

She's wearing a blue robe and tends to hang around near Illomo. You've got the Cup of Wonder already, so don't sweat it. :)

There's only three magical items on floor 7:

Armour:

Helmet of Magic Lantern
Tower Shield of Missile Protection

Weapon:
A particular sword 'of Great Accuracy', less useful than it appears.

You can skip a great deal of nuisance on floor 7 with a single scroll of Reveal. A second scroll of Reveal opens another short-cut.

You missed a ring on your short trip to floor 8; it'll soon be pointless to pick it up other than for bragging rights. Besides that ring, there's twenty more magical items down there, and the Ankh of the Avatar, too. Some items are actually useful, and I'll be interested to see how many you can find.

Also:

- you can drag food and drink over your character's mouth
- plants are edible (for veggie runs)
- you can bury skulls and bones by using them on gravestones
- on one occasion, you have to sleep to advance the plot

Old Grey Guy fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 6, 2017

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 33 - Realized Potential
We continue to explore level 7, as well as a bit of level 8, and attain our final level of experience.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 34 - Thief's Riddle
As we continue searching for the prison, we come across a little thief who makes us an offer too good to pass up - if we can solve his riddle.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

So is there much of a point to all the treasure we are finding? Even assuming we still had to trade for food, there's so much gold lying around, it seems. Or do your repair bills get a little pricey when you're a knight kitted out with all those magical weapons and armour you keep stumbling across?

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014

Crazy Achmed posted:

So is there much of a point to all the treasure we are finding? Even assuming we still had to trade for food, there's so much gold lying around, it seems. Or do your repair bills get a little pricey when you're a knight kitted out with all those magical weapons and armour you keep stumbling across?

Gear, scrolls, and potions are still useful, but the amount of gold required depends on how you build up your character, and how many repairs and identifications you feel you need. It's entirely possible to go through the game without much gold at all.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Old Grey Guy posted:

Gear, scrolls, and potions are still useful, but the amount of gold required depends on how you build up your character, and how many repairs and identifications you feel you need. It's entirely possible to go through the game without much gold at all.

Yeah, pretty much. I think you could go through the game having picked up 0 gold pretty easily, sans what you need to pay Shak to fix Caliburn since I don't think the Avatar can do that one himself.

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014
The twenty gold for Caliburn are fixed, and if you want the dragonskin boots, you'll need another two for the rotworm stew recipe (can't make stew w/out that scroll). And that's it indeed. Goldthirst will accept trinkets or jewels instead of five gold for his password.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 35 - Bamboozled!
We try to move on, but something unexpected is afoot as we pass through a nearby checkpoint.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 36 - Mazes and Shadows
The Avatar comes face to face with a fearsome opponent, and draws ever nearer to the final confrontation with Tyball.

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014
That helmet is the Helmet of Magic Lantern which does what it says, and no that sword is _not_ the best one in the game. It has a high to-hit chance which is an utterly moot point when you're this far in the game. The Jewelled Sword of Additional Damage that Rodrick dropped is actually more effective, and there's an even more powerful one further on. Neither of them are even required to beat the game, the Longsword of Damage from floor 4 is quite enough, and there's the mandatory Caliburn as well. Besides all that, axes are more useful in this game anyway.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I kind of like it how the shadow beast seems to be a crudely drawn outine but still manages to be kind of creepy simply because of this.

I am also continuing to love how effective it is to simply punch ghosts in the face.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 37 - Time to Die
It's time for the final showdown with Tyball! Surely the Avatar's quest is at an end?

turol
Jul 31, 2017
You missed a secret door in the octagonal back room of Tyball's chamber. It takes you back to an earlier area. The secret door is also impossible to find from the other side unless you have a Reveal scroll. That would have been the correct place to use it and allows you to skip most of level 7, including the prisons and the maze. Of course you can't know that you should use Reveal there unless you've already beaten the game or read a walkthrough...

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

turol posted:

You missed a secret door in the octagonal back room of Tyball's chamber. It takes you back to an earlier area. The secret door is also impossible to find from the other side unless you have a Reveal scroll. That would have been the correct place to use it and allows you to skip most of level 7, including the prisons and the maze. Of course you can't know that you should use Reveal there unless you've already beaten the game or read a walkthrough...

Ah definitely either didn't find that the first time around or (obviously) forgot about it. Maybe we'll check it out if we're in the area again, thanks.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Welp. Is there any way to find out about Tyball's plan before fighting him? Or any way to talk to him rather than just murdering/being murdered by him?
At the very least it seems like the game missed an opportunity to let you make fun of his name.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
That was a pretty interesting twist, I suppose. For the time, that kind of gray area evil writing is pretty rare.

Wizard fight was kinda badass though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Crazy Achmed posted:

Welp. Is there any way to find out about Tyball's plan before fighting him? Or any way to talk to him rather than just murdering/being murdered by him?
At the very least it seems like the game missed an opportunity to let you make fun of his name.

Not that I'm aware of. We did get a hint about the demon from that one mage who was snorting incense, though.

Nice piece of fish posted:

That was a pretty interesting twist, I suppose. For the time, that kind of gray area evil writing is pretty rare.

Wizard fight was kinda badass though.

Yeah in most games once you've killed the wizard and saved the girl, the game is done. Here we still have a bit more to do.

• Locked thread