Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
this fish flies
Dec 21, 2007

Don't Give Up The Ship
So, the earlier this spring I had to put down my two cats. They were 14 and 15 and lived healthy, happy lives. They were also both declawed and mostly indoor cats- which means they has access to our fenced backyard and without claws were not able to climb out.

I got a kitten a month ago and we've just had to deal with her growing interest in the backyard. For a while she was always under direct supervision and didn't notice the doggy door. Now that she's larger and more confidant she's given the run of the house when people are home. But we have been locking the doggy door when she's out. This has caused stress for the dogs and some accidents.

My father has been pushing for declawing. My other cats had no issues but I'm worried that the kitten might. And, just knowing the truth about declawing makes me really sad. I do not want to, but I do not want her escaping the yard and getting into trouble that way. We live by busy roads, the interstate, and there have been coyote sightings in the past. I can keep her locked in my room at night but not when I'm at work all day.

So, would soft paws or other nail caps work? Are cats able to reliably climb with them? She's just 3 months old now and couldn't jump that high so it's just the climbing I'm worried about. The trees we have do not have branches any lower than 6 feet so she'd have to claw up the trunks. And they are birches so they are flatter than many other trees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread