Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
listrada
Jan 2, 2017
My orange kitty was declawed before I got her. Even though she's much older than your kitten and pretty tubby, I watched her straight up scale a featureless 7' wooden fence a few weeks ago. Getting your kitten declawed won't just be awful and unnecessary for her - it won't solve your problem.

I think the selective doggy door is a great idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

listrada
Jan 2, 2017

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

E2: ^^^^ And you're loving stupid too.

Really not sure why I feel compelled to defend myself against fluffy bunnies, but this cat is hardly an outside cat. She gets to go out for small supervised walks in the backyard occasionally. She's trained to wear this ridiculous coat with a bell on it, and she sits in the grass and purrs while I do yard work. When it's time to go in, I shake the treat bag and she follows me in.

The one time she slipped out the door without her coat, I rang the bell and she ran right back in so I could put her coat on. So, while I fully admit that any outside time carries some risk, I don't think this a particularly dangerous situation.

listrada
Jan 2, 2017

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

you seen that video where the lady's walking some dogs and straight up rips a cat apart that's just chilling in the driveway on it's own property or the 975,000,000,000 other times that actual wildlife, not angry pets, murder cats. Because gosh I mean I could link you a trillion that you could never react fast enough to help.

Sure. I agree with you. In my very specific situation, the backyard is smallish and edged by (basically fenced in by) a few acres of tall grass/prairie land owned by the city with zero public access. The yard is small and isolated enough while still being close enough to the city that medium/large wildlife don't visit, or at least they don't while a human is present (i.e., the only time the cat is ever outside).

The front yard, with the sidewalk and miscellaneous dogs getting walked, is totally separated from the backyard by the tall, solid fence I mentioned.

If I was in a more urban or a more rural area, or if the property was laid out differently or if the fence had visual gaps in it, or if I didn't know my specific animal as much as I do, or if the cat was interested at all in wandering more than 5' from my side or ever showed interest in hunting, she wouldn't get to go outside at all.

I calculated this specific risk, and it's low.

• Locked thread