Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

You win the lottery, or you cash out a business, or a long-lost uncle dies. Suddenly you're the proud owner of a billion dollars, in cash, free and clear after taxes.

What do you do?

https://twitter.com/notch/status/887125928924647425

Change the world to suit your needs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I meant this as a joke but it actually might be helpful for me. I have a real hard time setting long-term goals or wanting things. So this might actually be a good exercise.

I really think my first order of business would be to put away only as much as I need to live comfortably for the rest of my life, either in the bank or invested somewhere safe where it can if not grow at the rate it's depleted, at least slow down the depletion noticeably. I want to live somewhere fun, like Manhattan or London or something, where I can try every restaurant once and see everything there is to see in the world. And then all the rest I'd want to give away.

Family, comfortable lives, college for the nieces, plenty to get them where they need to be. They're not moochers, they'll take it as a boost and capitalize on it.

Friends, or those I consider the family of my adult life. One-time gifts that will get them out of whatever poo poo they might be in, enough to change the course of their lives in some way. Doesn't take much.

Small business angel investments for those friends I know who are struggling to get their companies out of ground effects. Again, doesn't take much, and it can change lives drastically.

And the vast bulk of the rest I'd distribute over time to a variety of charities and causes. Not all at once, not all in one place, but treating them all like investments where I can maximize the impact.

I'm not going to have a personal legacy outside whatever I consciously do with it, so I'd better make it count

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I like that emergent goon values seem to be generally pro-animal :3:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Slime posted:

One billion $1 burgers.

You know they would give you a deep discount, and the discounts would get bigger the more you bought. At the volumes you're talking about the economics would reverse themselves and they would be paying you to eat burgers, ending up with more money than you started with

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

poo poo, I'm not ready to be stalked by pictures of Bill Cosby

• Locked thread