Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
whats ur poison
beer (american piss)
beer (hipster craft poo poo)
beer (german wheat beer)
beer (blonde)
beer (brown (belgian)
white wine
red wine
whiskey
vodka
other liquor
my tears after a long day of programming
piss
water
gas
View Results

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
rittenhouse rye, Buffalo Trace or else Knob Creek 100 proof if it's on sale op.

wild turkey 101 is also very good for the price

scotch is good also but I find it's a once in a while drink

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

I used to like Christian Brothers Brandy but then I almost killed myself with it one night years ago and I never went back to it.

Johnny Walker Black is deece. So is Bulleit Bourbon, Rye or otherwise.
jw black is usually the best choice available on a plane. otherwise I'll go with laphroaig and the price isn't that much more where I live

bulleit 10yo is very good, the rye is tasty, I find the basic blend often tastes a bit weak/off but it'll do in a pinch (or a julep)

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

worst shot i've had that i recall was sour puss something or other because it instantly gave me just the worst cottonmouth when i was already going hard in the paint

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

cjs: drinking a cold grolsch
gorlsch bottle game tite

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

i've only ever had it in canada and grolsch was to my taste for a time, haven't had it since the turn of the century

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

got away from pale lagers as my palette developed, prefer a pilsner (esp. fussy imperial ones) for a crisp summer brewski

still, once in a while, on a plane or something

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Cat Face Joe posted:

p. sure they were just slugging down hard liquor
yeah you'd pretty much have to be but still. i can easily clear a 3oz double of whiskey in 15 minutes without realizing but i can't keep up that kind of clip for an hour, much less 8-11+ hours a day for a week

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

i seem to recall from a college psych/drugs class that the ld50 for 40% whiskey is at most a 26oz bottle (i.e. 17.33 drinks) consumed in an hour or less

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

it's come up in cjs or the pics thread before but the threshold of medically significant "unhealthy" drinking is like more than 4 standard drinks per day up to 14 drinks per week. it's not really that hard to dial it down under the threshold, especially if your standard drink measures are relatively generous

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Salt Fish posted:

You're a heavy drinker who will face medically significant health complications unless you cut back immediately.
in fairness I think he was just saying he could easily function at 9/day any given day without losing quality of sleep or experiencing hangover, not that he strives for that each and every day

in response to the line of questioning "how does someone drink so much every day"

but if he does actually live that life yeah you're right it's liver-pickling for sure

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

my body does this fun thing where if i drink even a little too much i wake up after sleeping 3-4 hours and cant go back to sleep, spend the next day feeling like poo poo even if not hungover.
ive gotten this from time to time. it's why I measure carefully and count my drinks

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jul 21, 2017

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

qhat posted:

i don't trust a person who is already mentally impaired to be able to accurately judge their own ability to function when they're mentally impaired.
fair enough

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

echinopsis posted:

i was doing it prolly 4 or 5 nights a week? and then maybe a bit more on weekends? i don't really like getting trashed and i never aim for it like when i was younger, but still end up falling into those situations because when i start sribking it's like i have blinders on and just want to drink more and never stop to consider what i'm doing
if you have a drink or two then feel like a fat kid with a cake in front of him, the key is to not put a whole cake in front of yourself

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

echinopsis posted:

a sex roy party
m
o
d
s

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

hey so maybe like this thread should be about what is good to drink and not about super extra oversharing. just saying

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Poopernickel posted:

lol @ liquor hoarders who have more than 2 kinds of scotch (expensive and cheap)

just drink it, there's more at the store m8 :)

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

a very small horse posted:

I have some kracken rum that i should probably drink before i move in a few days but the only mixer in the house is some flat coke. can you drink just rum and ice? i have some limes too
can vs should

make limeade with some sugar and mix with that I guess

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

l'chaim, saturday nite drinks thread

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

echinopsis posted:

i drank half a doz and fell asleep in front of the fire and now i'm cooking oats for the kids

god bless drinking
you sound like the fuckup dad from little house on the prairie

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

echi the new av is in fact pro af

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

maskenfreiheit posted:

buffalo trace was my goto "nice but not super expensive" bourbon in grad school but seems like it's getting more expensive

it's like when lionshead was dirt cheap and they raised the price, and it was like, dude, we drink this cause it's less than yuengling don't front
here it's been stable
as a 90 proof it's very useful if you like simple bourbon cocktails like the julep or old fashioned
or else it just gives you more bang for buck

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

bulleit's 10% off for the next month so that's going to be my poison for august, op

although it's 90 proof like bt is, it always tastes a little weak to me, especially if i've been drinking 100 proofs (i haven't, lately)

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

real time update: this bottle of bulleit has a really strong toffee taste. almost as much as the last time I had Elijah Craig 12 yo. can't help but ice it down a bit, to tolerate it

bulleit is no bad for the price but it's inconsistent af from bottle to bottle

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

https://twitter.com/skullmandible/status/532997335757111296

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

echinopsis posted:

i used to like wild turkey rare breed. it was good.
jack dan single barrel is good too/ love that poo poo

tonight i have to drive so can consume almost 5 standard drinks before it's illegal to drive at 11;30pm i have planned this. visiting a lawyer tonight :o
leaving literally everything else very solidly aside, I prefer wt 101 to rare breed and recommend it if you haven't tried

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

echinopsis posted:

i have and can't say i preferred it. 101 was nice but rare breed seemed a bit something different
maybe you might enjoy Russell's Reserve on the other end then

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

maskenfreiheit posted:

why does everyone seem opposed to simply serving real drinks

i want to walk into a bar and have a menu that's like "old fashioned, martini, manhattan", and a whiskey list. maybe throw in some decent craft beers

would that really be so hard?
agreed but you probably also need gin drinks if you're allowing martinis. etc. etc.

bars are for making money and it's easier to make money off folks with zero taste vs. folks who have it and can make good drinks at home

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

great news! I got a different bottle of Bulleit from a different store and it's completely different in a good way.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

qhat posted:

i'm not really a whisky drinker but want to drink good whisky. what are some good whiskies for a whisky philistine to drink?
for non-scotch, you can start with basic classic cocktails (manhattan, old fashioned, mint julep, whiskey sour) where the quality and name of the spirit is less important. feel out what you like in terms of concentration. the sugar and dilution helps bring out those good good rye/bourbon flavors

there is a whisky thread in goons with spoons that has recommendations for different types at different price levels that sees some activity these days

then, move to having a low/mid-range version of the spirit with some water (no more than 2:1 whiskey/water) to approximate the concentration you like. toss in a little simple syrup at first if you must. ice is optional at first but recommended. over time, use less and less water into just using ice

then eventually you can drink it neat, even in small (<1.5 oz) quantities

once you can drink something low/mid-range neat, you will find more expensive stuff to be worthwhile. also around the nearly undiluted/neat level of appreciation, you can then expand into scotch if you want

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jul 27, 2017

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

echinopsis posted:

i can't but i could tell it over jb i bet

jim beam must have rhe best marketing in the world to manage to convince a lot of people that it's actually good when it's prettt gross

jack daniels single barrel god i love ir
if you take the price point of jd sb and apply it to something in the jb family e.g. baker's 7, you will also love that, trust me

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

i'm surprised they managed to put up with you without drinking a lot more than that

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

realtalk university dorm drinking culture is toxic af, at least it was round the turn of the millenium

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

qhat posted:

Real talk drinking in university dorms owned
at the time, the drinking with friends was very good, the culture around clubs/societies/socials generally was not

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

the only saving grace of is is the squared bottle base, which is good for breaking over another lowlife's face, should you ever find yourself in the position of having to drink it

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

John Big Booty posted:

Also you can get a better grip on it for extraction when you accidentally fall on it when drinking in the shower.
extremely pro un/post combo

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

you know what my poison is? appeals to skilled labour being properly respected and recognized. ooh yeah that's the stuff

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

what about the skilled labor and craft required to distill spirits or bake bread

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

bourbon bastardism status: very yes

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

SmokaDustbowl posted:

the worst doom cheat code

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

OldAlias posted:

more bitter = better than