Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
whats ur poison
beer (american piss)
beer (hipster craft poo poo)
beer (german wheat beer)
beer (blonde)
beer (brown (belgian)
white wine
red wine
whiskey
vodka
other liquor
my tears after a long day of programming
piss
water
gas
View Results

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I made harvey wallbangers at a party a while back and holy poo poo people were stupid in the 70s. what a vile concoction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

jesus WEP posted:

my gf made gimlets last night and they were v good would drink again

in summer watermelon gimlets can be super refreshing, especially if you muddle up a couple mint or even basil leaves with the fruit

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

SO DEMANDING posted:

in my experience the only good sours are belgian, any that are good and not belgian either have belgian involvement (ommegang pale sour) or were purely accidental
if you see Duchesse Cherry check it out of you like fruit.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Schadenboner posted:

T.Joe's "Kentucky Bourbon" probably lacks any sort of pedigree (I'm assuming but won't be arsed to check: whiskey snobs being literally worse than wine snobs, almost to the level of audiophiles) but it's q.deece.

I clicked on a bourbon review YouTube out of curiosity and it was hilarious, just tryhard beard dudes saying flavor words out loud all
leather
vanilla
orange peel
cranberry
wheat
etc.
like they just jacked off to somm

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

my current favorite sipping drinks:
larceny bourbon
glenmorangie [base version]
zacapa 23 [when it goes on sale]

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

spankmeister posted:

Northing worse imo than someone who acts like it's stupid to try to understand and enjoy a drink on a little deeper level. It's fine if you don't enjoy whiskey that way but don't dunk on people who do.

The last thing we need is for someone to feel like it's somehow uncool or snobby to actually smell and taste their whiskey, and thereby dissuading them from deepening their enjoyment. Please don't do that.

it's possible to be an enthusiast of something without becoming a cartoon pastiche, fyi

also the two dudes said completely different flavors for the same whiskeys

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the glenmorangie 10 year I mentioned above isn't peaty, it's pretty easy drinking

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I like these for measuring, kicks the poo poo out of a jigger plus metric, teaspoons, tablespoons, etc. in fact this is probably the kitchen thing I use the most of all

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

last weekend I made these with puerto rican havana club, they came out really good if a bit :effort: with 5 ingredients

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I usually skip simple syrup or use a liqueur but the campari is so bitter it really helps. I might try a splash of soda next time too

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if you’re in the bay area almanac makes the best fruit sours I’ve had

I can’t really drink more than one at a time they’re crazy sour

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I do one dry week a month just to make sure nothing weird is happening

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I had a bartender give me a taste of casamigos but he wouldn’t tell me what it was in advance and it was actually pretty drat good despite the stupid name and clooney connection

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I’ve been drinking highballs with like 5:1 soda:whiskey ratio because it’s so hot

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if you like german beer some usa craft breweries are starting to make helles and its the loving best. don’t buy it imported, a snobby german once told me it “doesn’t travel well” and after spending like 14 bucks on a 6pack a couple years ago I agree

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I’ve had bad experiences with both soju and baiju, even fancy kinds. I’m going to chalk it up to “acquired taste”

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

get some young’s double chocolate stout instead since that’s actually good

breckenridge vanilla porter is probably my favorite dessert themed dark beer

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I had too many blueberries back in july and started some infused vodka, going to strain it and make lemon drops for halloween

I have blackberry bourbon going too, should be ready by thanksgiving. will probably make brambles with it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

got some creme de mûre for blackberry bourbon brambles next weekend plus becherovka was on sale

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I’m doing a dry week but I do one every month. had some good drinks last night

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

graph posted:

pliny is loving disgusting. consecration was one of the best things i've ever tasted

consecration is amazing. it’s not my favorite style but it doesn’t taste like anything else out there. pliny tastes like they aged it with one of those gas station tree air fresheners

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if you have bad cheap sparkling try putting a tiny bit of cassis or grenadine in it

also dry sparkling + potato chips is magic

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

having a glenmorangie tonight

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

prefect posted:

is it an acceptable margarita if i use only tequila, triple sec, and rose's lime juice? (and ice)

i am not going to be squeezing limes :colbert:

I use bottled lime juice all the time, it's not as good but it won't ruin it imo. that said rose's is sweetened maybe look for nellie & joe's?

if you want to upgrade your margarita use real cointreau instead of triple sec, that stuff is amazing

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Fresh lime juice is clearly superior, I'll buy limes if I'm in the mood but I don't keep them around. I only drink like once a week at this point so if I get a craving for a margarita I'm not going to go out into the hellworld on a special trip to get limes. Plus I like to put a couple drops of lemon juice in a highball.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

those bar squeezers are dead useful though

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Shaggar posted:

in modern hellworld you can get the limes to come to you
it's probably more work for me to order limes on the internet than to put shoes on and go to my corner store

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I had margaritas with both fresh squeezed and bottled lime juice last night. both were good

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Jimmy Carter posted:

yo I know nothing about bourbons and I'm almost out of the Kirkland Signature bottle I stole from an xmas party in 2019. [tell] me about what I should buy for the 1-2 nights a week I drink these days.
bulleit is decent if you drink it with ice, I use larceny as my go to, both under $30/bottle

four roses was what poor abusive dads drank when I was a kid I know it's better now but the brand is poisoned in my brain

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

spankmeister posted:

I have recently discovered Wild Turkey Rare Breed and I am liking it a lot.

wild turkey is like four roses in that they're definitely upmarket from where they used to be

the first time someone threatened me with a firearm was a weird gold miner hillbilly in the trinity alps with a mostly empty 750 of wild turkey in one hand and a shotgun in the other

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I have reached peak middle aged man, I am drinking whiskey while watching a military documentary

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

booze thread I've decided that st patrick's is a good excuse to try irish whiskey, anyone have suggestions or things to look for? I've heard redbreast 12 is really good

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

i will say covid squashing the amateur nights like santacon, st patricks and cinco de mayo have been a nice silver lining but I feel like when things open back up everyone is going to just be extra drunk and extra horny

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

after my success infusing vodka and bourbon last year I’m totally doing cherry brandy this year

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

my bitter bi rival posted:

did you make vodka-infused bourbon or bourbon-infused vodka?

blueberry vodka and blackberry bourbon but you might be onto something here... :thunk:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

when I was in college those big 2 liter asahi cans with the screw on lid used to go on sale for like $5, good times

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

to celebrate bars being open for outdoor seating without [mostly pretend] food service plus it was a really nice day I got a bunch of cocktails on saturday, my tolerance is definitely down from last year

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

spankmeister posted:

All in all a good time. I highly recommend doing a flight of a couple of whiskies from the same distillery but from different cask types and independent bottlers. Really helps in getting your bearings on how various casks and aging influences whisky.

I picked up a 4 pack airplane bottle flight box of Glenlivet around christmas, it was a fun evening

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

my favorite dessert beers are duchesse cherry and breckenridge vanilla porter

e: also young’s double chocolate

qirex fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Apr 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

mediaphage posted:

for a standard cheap basic tequila i really like this stuff

(pls ignore messy shelves)
I use espolon blanco for margaritas and palomas, it's good stuff. also sauza blue if it's on sale