Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
whats ur poison
beer (american piss)
beer (hipster craft poo poo)
beer (german wheat beer)
beer (blonde)
beer (brown (belgian)
white wine
red wine
whiskey
vodka
other liquor
my tears after a long day of programming
piss
water
gas
View Results

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Frozen concentrated limeade, straight from the can

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

JewKiller 3000 posted:

i really like when a beer is described as "sessionable", like they actually came up with a word for "this beer doesn't taste like poo poo, AND you can drink a gently caress ton of em"

is that what "session" means in a beer name? that it's meant for drinking a whole lot in a row, like a "drinking session?"

lo loving marf

institutionalized alcoholism is amazing

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Roosevelt posted:

what's the worst shot you've ever done?

for my 30th birthday some dickhead bought me a tequila + rumpleminze

when i was in college i was being indecisive about what to get and one guy was like "if i buy you a shot, will you drink whatever it is?" and i said sure and he ordered a "reverse [something-or-other]" and it turned out that it was an ounce of tabasco sauce and an ounce of tequila.

it was terrible, but i stared him in the face and drank it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

oh and once someone bought our whole gang cement mixers (lime juice and irish cream in two separate glasses; swish them around in your mouth and the cream curdles into lumps) and most people were pretty disgusted but if you can tolerate the texture it's actually a pretty nice flavor

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i drank one (1) beer tonight. it was a red stripe, because i like the little bottles.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

big scary monsters posted:

lol cool. how do you even find time to drink that much, that's nearly 2 drinks an hour every hour of the week

do you mean actually 300+ beers a week or like a standard drink equivalent in spirits?

tori said he was 18 beers in yesterday evening, so that's halfway there

but yea it's a real exponential curve thing. what is the statistic? like half of all americans don't drink at all? (losers) and then another 40% drink less than one drink per day on average, and the top 10% drink 70 or more drinks per week?

one of my sister's friends is a rapidly declining alcoholic and she goes through 16-20 bottles of wine a week, apparently. and 20 bottles is still only 160 standard drinks

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Salt Fish posted:

I know this is going to be a controversial opinion, but drunk driving is actually really safe.

it's good for the planet because it kills humans

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's me. i am Sex Roy

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

some people are prone to addiction and others aren't. i don't think the research knows why this is, but it's definitely been shown to be a thing.

my dad tried every drug in the universe and his entire life he described himself as an alcoholic, though he was completely teetotal

my mom would drink one glass of wine or gin and tonic and immediately fall asleep

i got my mom's booze genes, so i have like ten dusty bottles of various rye whiskies, and i drink maybe five ounces of the stuff a month.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jul 21, 2017

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

echinopsis posted:

so pharmacologically.. ethanol.. it's a little bit hard to study compared to other drugs because while it does bind to a lot of receptors its purely through flinging poo poo at a wall

first of all lets look at how non potent it is. potency is the measure of a drug to have an effect based on the amount given. LSD and fentanyl are extremely potent (active in the 10-100s microgram ranges). acetiminophen/paracetamol is probably the least potent drug most people know, with doses of 4g in a day..

alcohol? one standard drink itself is already 10g.. and so half a doz beers? looking at 60-70grams of drugs??? that is an INSANE volume of drug for your body to work through

this is why alcohol doesnt have a half life as such.. well technically it does but you exceed half life of ethanol very early on, youve saturated the enzymes so they are always working at 100% and in an average person can chew through maybe 10g an hour? these are liver enzymes which is why its so hard on the liver. it gets converted to energy amongst other things which contribues to fatty liver.. enzyme induction means those that drink a lot will have more of the enzymes that metabolise alcohol so theyll siober up faster and be less hungover

absorption - most drugs rely on some form of transport across the cell walls. as far as I know alcohol isnt transported over the cell wall but moves directly through it due to it being lipid soluble. this means alcohol is absorbed everywhere, rather than having to wait to get into the intestine.. yes alcohol is absorbed through the stomach lining and hence can start to enter the bloodstream within like 7 minutes after druinking? thats insane

receptor wise what does it bind to? well, like I mentioned before you are putting such huge volumes that are in the bloodstream it tends to bind to everything.. ugh.. largely the depressive parts of the CNS. its also a solvent so its posited that it actually also disrupts neurological signalling through interfering with neuronal cell walls

but because of its very nature its a bit harder to study with the models we use to study otehr drugs and as far as receptor affinities etc

and ethanol is generally what we think of when we think alcohol but something to be aware of I guess is that the microbes that turn whatever into alcohol dont make 100% ethanol but also methanol as the msot significant secondary alcohol but also a whole host of short chained alcohols.. ugh.. and most of these chemicals will have similar pharmacological effects but their metabolites will be significantly differently (this is how methanol is bad) and will lead to tragic hangovers

i saw a sign at a bar that said that intoxicated people will be served food to reduce the effect of alcohol but there is no basis as far as I can tell for food being able to "soak up" alcohol, and in fact fatty food probably "ties up" the liver a bit and I suspect it would make you metabolise alcohol slower.. the only positive effect food will have on drinking is that youre likely to drink slower when youre full. there is no interaction between food and alcohol or even a significant effect on alcohol absorption that would imply eating "helps"

studies have been done to see if there is any way to reduce hangovers.. the evidence points to there being only one method that works - drink less. and ill add to that and say drink higher quality too, due to what I mentioned about alcohols other than ethanol. water helps maybe? but rehyudrating is easy and hangovers are barely just dehydration

ethanol metabolism forces paracetamol/acetimonphen metabolism down a pathway which creates a hepatoxic metabolite so this is why we say dont take it when drinking or after to kill pain.. itll murder ya liver. just take ibuprofen and the risk there is if youre dehydrated

just a fact or two lmao

-

please continue to post like this whenever baby-shaggar up there accuses you of not knowing how drugs work. lmao

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i've noticed that i do feel more messed up when i drink without having eaten in a while, but i always assumed it was just compounding the effects of the booze and low blood sugar

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Salt Fish posted:

Freeze the rum into tiny ice cubes and swallow them whole.

ethanol freezes at -114C so you might wanna put 911 on speed-dial

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

maskenfreiheit posted:

why does everyone seem opposed to simply serving real drinks

i want to walk into a bar and have a menu that's like "old fashioned, martini, manhattan", and a whiskey list. maybe throw in some decent craft beers

would that really be so hard?

do you really need a menu to order those though?

any bar that makes all those fancy flashy cocktails should be capable of putting gin and vermouth in a glass, even if it's not on their menu

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

counterpoint: i bought all the stuff to make a couple of my favorite cocktails from Bourbon and Branch bc gently caress paying 13 dollars and getting dressed up and making a reservation every time i want one of those

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Lyon posted:

i have generally accounted for alcohol % in this anecdotal story

nah

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jack Daniel's is apparently the only whisky distillery in the world that still makes their own barrels, or so their advertising would have me believe, which is kinda cool

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

echinopsis posted:

jesus christ

qhat is some kind of mini-shaggar but not as subtle and with worse attitudes

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i like hefeweizen, porters, and dubbels

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

malort is named after the sound your butt makes the morning after drinking it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i like yellow tail shiraz ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

a lot of red wines have sulfites and give me awful headaches but that one doesn't, as far as i can tell

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

OldAlias posted:

hmm, I thought there is some dispute over sulphites role in hangovers, if you were to have an allergy a reaction would be very noticeable but I can't say with certainty about sensitivities... in any case my subjective experience would suggest they do, I've had far fewer hangovers making my own white wine with a bit of absorbic acid, but idk

i dunno if it's an allergy or a sensitivity or what, but it's not a hangover. i get an obvious reaction that's independent of the alcohol. about half an hour after drinking some red wines or eating some kinds of dried fruits i get a headache that gradually increases from mild to terrible, sometimes with associated chills and shaking. it sucks.

never done the tests, but it might be interesting to find out someday

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i drank A Beer tonite

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

if you drink beer but don't like the clean reliable taste of a New Castle Brown you can go gently caress yourself

first beer i drank with my dad. solid

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

iirc in russia until recently they didn't even classify beer as an alcoholic beverage

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

what is especially good is cigars on balconies after drinking some alcohol

the combination of tobacco and alcohol use creates a risk of mouth and throat cancer that is like two orders of magnitude higher than either one on its own. something about how the alcohol damages mucous membranes which are then made more permeable to the carcinogens in the tobacco.

this is u :unsmigghh:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

JewKiller 3000 posted:

a 6-pack is called a 6-pack, not a half dozen. a 12-pack could be called a dozen beers but i've usually just heard 12-pack. larger sizes like 24 or 30 are usually called a case

a 24 pack is called a two-four.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Captain Foo posted:

noted idiot and bad poster sagebrush

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=two-four

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

maskenfreiheit posted:

lol if you don't smuggle a pint of vladdy in yer rear end in a top hat

same but in your stomach

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

akadajet posted:

the defining characteristic of IPAs is to taste like lawnmower clippings

Dollar-store dish soap, IMO

Captain Foo posted:

porters are p good

Very good

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Poopernickel posted:

room temperature

Bubbly, and smells like bananas

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

just reading that phil katz mini-bio and for many in this thread it will be like looking in a grim mirror

quote:

By the last months of his life, Mr. Katz had lost most of his hair and developed a paunch, which he and Ms. Fischer joked about. She says that when she last saw him in 1999, he was drinking as much as three liters of liquor a day and hiccuping and belching uncontrollably. His teeth were rotting. He had the shakes.

yospos bicth

please seek help if you find yourself on this path

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Kenny Logins posted:

andorra, a nation with ~70,000 people on it, consumed approximately 57 liters of wine per person in 2014, exempting minors

that is approximately 76 standard 750ml bottles, nearly 1.5 bottles per week for every adult.

Meh, I know a girl who drinks about 1.5 bottles per day.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

alcohol barely counts as a drug anyway. it affects nearly every part of your body systematically, instead of targeting some specific metabolic pathway, and active doses are measured in tens of grams, where most drugs are milligrams or less. in those senses it behaves much more like a food product, like sugar or salt or vinegar, than like any drug we know of

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ice in whiskey is totally fine and acceptable

just don't put coca-cola in it. barf

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

if you want to make a whiskey cocktail at least learn one of the 10,000 ones that are better than "tastes like coke, but worse"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

echinopsis posted:

bourbon and cola is a good drink it's just a waste of good bourbon

still nothing is as good as beer

it's morning coffee time at work but god a beer would b glorious. probably as well as going home for the day/ and a fat doobie in the sun. depression alcoholism and hard drugs is the way forward in life

get help

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i have all the ingredients to make micheladas and palomas. which mexican drink should i do tonight

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the tendency to divide the world into good/evil categories, where a good thing can only be good and never do wrong, and an evil thing can never be good and there's zero nuance, is a psychological aberration called "splitting"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I like pastis (Ricard please) because I'm an octogenarian Frenchman