Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
whats ur poison
beer (american piss)
beer (hipster craft poo poo)
beer (german wheat beer)
beer (blonde)
beer (brown (belgian)
white wine
red wine
whiskey
vodka
other liquor
my tears after a long day of programming
piss
water
gas
View Results

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Lyon posted:

craft ciders definitely growing quick, doing cool stuff like making brett ciders to get that dry funkiness and things like open fermentation ciders but i'm not an expert

yeah at a liquor store I frequent they've got one block of the cooler just for cider. 2 years ago it was 60% angry orchard, 40% other mass market stuff, and a single shelf with craft cider. Now over half the case is craft pushing out the other stuff.

there's some really good stuff coming out (check out "far from the tree" if you can), but still also lots of utterly worthless crap that hardly tastes any better than angry orchard, unfortunately.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Jimmy Carter posted:

I scored a beta invite to Sixpoint's app so I can reserve limited-run IPAs and show up at their brewery to get them. So far their app seems like it's mostly a web view wrapper but hey, it gets me sweet beers.

i want to punch this post in the face

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

cjs: deciding whether to a) drink to get over current lovely job with morons or b) not do that and apply for jobs instead

its hard tbh

apply for jobs and then have a drink

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

picked up a bottle of this recently, a slovakian mead. it's very very good. smooth, very sweet but not heavy or syrupy.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

graph posted:

ive never heard of such a thing

it might be one of those things they can't actually call port because port is strictly defined and a protected term etc etc but it is definitely a thing and can be pretty tasty

my favorite liquor store does awesome free tastings, one of the best is their yearly port and stout tasting, had some white port at the last one. also got to taste a port from 1967 :eyepop:

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Lyon posted:

The Beer Bible by Jeff Alworth is a fairly standard recommendation. It is not meant to be read front to back (although you certainly can) but rather flip to whatever section you are currently interested in. It's basically a beer encyclopedia that starts with the history of beer and brewing, then goes through all the different styles of beer with historical anecdotes about specific beers/breweries, then how to enjoy/store/pair beer, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Beer-Bible-Jeff-Alworth/dp/0761168117

kindle version is only $1.13, neato

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

thing i forgot to post from singapore: while alcohol prices there are ridiculous, they do have this thing they term a 'whisky library':

the prices are still high but gently caress it, whisky library

goddamn

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Dislike button posted:

Lol if you think ipas are trendy in 2017

maybe they aren't trendy but there sure as poo poo are still too goddamn many of them, and there are still recent breweries cropping up where they piss out a dozen IPAs and nothing else

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

ArmZ posted:

sour beer bithc

People have been saying sours are gonna be the next big thing for a few years now and I just don’t see it happening. Takes too much effort to make a decent sour

Over the top stouts and porters are the big thing now imo. Kinda good because dark beers are great. Kinda bad because WOW there are some hosed up insane stouts out now that have more in common with a candy coffee beverage from Starbucks than with actual beer

So yeah fads are dumb just shut up and drink

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

three of the five worst beers I've ever had were English microbreweries attempting to make American-style IPAs and lagers

for the curious the other two were "Milwaukee special reserve" (purchased drunk, confused for milwaukees best) and some kind of blueberry abomination from Trader Joe's, marked by dicetyl

blueberry beers are loving disgusting

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

I want to get my dad some good vermouth for Christmas, he loves manhattans. Any yospinions re: decent or fancy vermouth?

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

life is a struggle, swallow your bitter pils

ugh

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

got my dad a couple different good vermouths, he cracked into one and says its very good

he got me a cream sherry and drat this stuff is nice. as good or better than some tawny ports i've had but dirt cheap in comparison. thanks, spain! tell those portuguese where to stick it!

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Kenny Logins posted:

from the gws whiskey thread:

:discourse:

that dude got a handy for christmas

current drink status: it's not alcoholic, but blueberry soda from maine. it's like drinking a blueberry pie

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

i fukken love belgians but it feels like its getting harder to get them as liquor stores have been dedicating more shelf space and resources for local stuff. like, just in-state stuff. theres even some out of state beers i'm not seeing as frequently as i used to.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

going to a port and stout tasting today hell yeah :jackbud:

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Lyon posted:

maybe he meant stout and porter tasting event?

nope. port wine (and similar fortified wines) and stout beer. sounds weird but was an amazing tasting

picked up this cherry wine from Denmark that's like nothing else I've had before http://www.frederiksdal.com/en/wines/

also got a pedro ximines sherry that's like pure raisin sex in your mouth

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

I'm out of Jack's Abby and I had a pack of sculpin that I got as leftovers from something so s m d bithc

i have a can of their framinghammer baltic porter, that'll be good.

tonight i'm gonna crack into that danish cherry wine i got last week

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

Framinghammer is so good and it'll knock you on your rear end

on the other end of porters (not super heavy, just 5.4% abv) i recently tried bent water's jolene porter. not too bad! seasonal, unfortunately.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

bump

currently drinking prairie artisanal ales "pirate bomb"

it's a 15% abv imperial stout aged in rum barrels with coffee, chocolate, and chiles

it goes against a all my principles in beer but holy gently caress it's actually goddamn amazing

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Lyon posted:

bourbon, and sometimes rum, barrel stouts crammed full of vanilla/coffee/chocolate/whatever are usually really good but yeah they are a bit much, usually good in small doses. i like that prairie does 12oz bottles because any more than that and it would be rough. you need a few people to crack the large format bottles otherwise it's a waste.

for all the ridiculous flavors going on in this beer it is amazingly subdued and balanced. excellent chocolate flavor that's weirdly complemented and balanced by the spiciness from the chilies, and putting it in a rum barrel gives it a sort of fruitiness maybe? it was also about $12 for a 12oz bottle which is crazy expensive for a beer but son of a bitch if i wouldn't pay that much again for another.

i've had plenty of over-the-top barrel aged stouts before, almost all bourbon barrel aged. a dark rich stout with the vanilla notes of bourbon is a really nice pairing, but honestly the vast majority of bourbon barrel beers are WAY overdone, to the point i suspect a number of them aren't really barrel aging their beer but rather are putting in some sort of godawful flavor syrup or some poo poo.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

saisons and sours and general farmhouse beers are abominable

i think these are all styles that can be good, the trouble is they are also incredibly easy to gently caress up. in terms of sour as a flavor there is a fine line between "tasty" and "oh god something has gone horrible wrong". saisons are kinda weird though, there seems to be such a tremendous variety inherent to the style that i honestly cant even say what the hell a saison really is. i've had some saisons that taste like almost nothing, others that are bizarrely hoppy, a few that were pretty good, and recently one that tasted more like an ordinary belgian golden ale than anything else. idk.

also agreeing with this:

big scary monsters posted:

sours are good imo but my experience is that only belgians can do them right

ommegang actually put out a really good one recently, pale sour. surprisingly affordable and pretty tasty. but while ommegang is american they are owned by duvel and the pale sour was developed by a guy in belgium so welp there ya go

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

Drank some beers tonight, almost all ipas

blech

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

friend is hosting a cyberpunk themed party tonight

gonna be a lot of cocktails with tonic. because blacklights and glowing drinks, you see

think I should try to pick up some Japanese beer maybe idk

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Kuvo posted:

bought some mead today

bee booze

what mead did you get and is it good

i hate buying mead blind because when its bad it tends to be really really fuckin' bad

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

guinness sucks in any format there's about a billion other better stouts out there, deal with it

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

having a pedro ximenez sherry and its like a bunch of raisins are having a party in my mouth

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

nitro really only works well with dark, heavy beers like stouts and porters, doing it to an ipa is just fuckin' gross

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

syscall girl posted:

who doesn't

but like i have friends hook me up with some insane weed (weed's been insane for a while) and i'm like puff puff ggggggggaaaah this blueberry kucinich is making me canuckistan predator ffffff

*drinks two tall boys*

so yeah, i kinda suck at rock band, can we go back to the hidef san andreas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUcqVNjWoZA

yes this is shoelaces

dude I'm pretty sure you need to get your meds adjusted again

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

why buy lovely beer when I can get a 15 pack of jack's abbey house lager for $15?

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Agile Vector posted:

*drinker voice* im gin

:cheers:

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

hahaha

current drinking status: going to my favorite liquor store today for a tequila and rosé tasting :thunk:

honestly the tasting is second priority. I want some beer plus they're gonna have a local baker and chocolatier so that will take care of Mother's Day

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

went to treehouse brewing today to see what the gently caress that is all about. waited in line for a few minutes, got a few cans including some Julius which is their flagship.

had a can of julius tonight. it's uh, pretty good, i suppose.

but drive a long-rear end way, wait in a long-rear end line (sometimes), all that bullshit and hype? eh. nah.

the craft beer world can be awfully silly sometimes.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Bulgakov posted:

that sounds dumb as hell

yeah it kind of is. i wonder how long it will last.

for similar weirdness/craziness, see "heady topper" from alchemist beer in vermont. this is the one that started the new england style IPA craze and I'll probably never have it unless i go on vacation up in vermont near the brewery.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

I've had it a couple times. It's a good beer don't get me wrong but there are plenty of delicious IPAs now

i want to try the sam adams NEIPA now, people say it is actually quite decent.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

i...guess? almost everything sam does someone else does better, though I haven't had it myself

so many of the NEIPAs out there are stupidly overhyped and have obnoxiously poor availability and pricing so i'm just curious to see what a relatively large player like sam adams can put out. if it comes close to some of the stupid $16/4pack hard to find horseshit i'm gonna laugh.

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

I like them, they're a cloudy IPA that typically have more juice or remains of whatever the flavor they're going for in them compared the norm (apricots, fruit, etc.). They also don't last nearly as long.

Two Roads had one called 2 Juicy that was pretty amazing.

yeah i've had 2 juicy. pretty good, a bit too hoppy for what a i like. i mean i guess that's the thing, i'm not too keen on IPAs. the occasional IPA can definitely be good but there are way too many out there and a lot of them taste like you're sucking off a pine tree. so the focus on fruit over bitterness in NEIPAs is rather interesting. but overall as a trend, yeesh, tons and tons of bullshit surrounding the style.

tonight i had "green", another IPA, and "bright", a double IPA, from treehouse. very underwhelmed, i liked julius more. good, solid beers for sure but there's a gazillion other good, solid beers out there so why bother driving over an hour and waiting in line?

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

i'm drinking a PBR is that ok

i've never had pbr before because that is just how far up my own rear end i am

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

i've grown quite fond of modelo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Beast of Bourbon posted:

4 handles of bulleit, 3 handles of scotch, 2 handles of tanq, 3 handles of titos and a bunch of wine and beer.

i dunno, is that enough for 30 people?

what, where's the pint of ether and salt shaker full of coke?