Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I had a problem with everyone's location in relation to one another. I know the timelines intersected at multiple points, but it felt like the Moonstone boat shouldn't have been that close to the shore when the minelayer went down. They were close enough that the Dutch ship just floated out to them, but they still seemed to be pretty far out to sea.

Also, the docks were full of French in the beginning and empty of them at the end, but they were still there. Did they literally make them wait until all but one Brit had left?

The cinematography was beautiful and it's nice to see a WWII movie without any Americans. I had no idea Dunkirk was like a resort town, but I guess it makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
It's fun to make a list of Essential Serious War Movie Things that aren't in Dunkirk. No blood, no Last Words, no letters from home, no "DAMMIT Colonel, there are MEN on that beach!"

General Dog posted:

This movie is Nolan seeing how much fat he can possibly cut. It's the plane that's running out of gas, he's thrown out all the seats, the parachute, the control knobs, everything. It's Tom Hardy's Spitfire just gliding over the beach. It's a really cool experiment, even if it doesn't totally work.

Yep, this sums it up pretty well.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Krispy Kareem posted:

I had a problem with everyone's location in relation to one another. I know the timelines intersected at multiple points, but it felt like the Moonstone boat shouldn't have been that close to the shore when the minelayer went down. They were close enough that the Dutch ship just floated out to them, but they still seemed to be pretty far out to sea.

It seemed like they got the engine running in the dutch ship and it was in reverse heading out to sea.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
They did, but the Dutch ship was close enough to shore to still be getting pinged by the German ground forces, who were apparently not close enough to engage anyone else.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Saw the movie the sound though

That Dive bomb sound was probably the loudest poo poo I've heard in a theater

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

General Dog posted:

-What is your favorite kind of tank?

*eye twitches*

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
An old lady told me yesterday that her brother was at Dunkirk, and apparently when the recruits were being dive-bombed they'd immediately lay down with their helmets placed protectively over their man-bits.

JailTrump
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Shame they didn't shoot more of the Dunkirk scenes in Atonement. That's probably the best representation of that poo poo ever on film.

Dunkirk veterans absolutely loved the poo poo out of this movie though apparently.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I'm in the "technically well done but otherwise empty" camp.

It's funny that the end speech and local newspaper story essentially glorify wartime heroics in a movie that's mostly about the dehumanizing, frightening, and brutal aspects of war.

Can't make an anti-war war movie, I guess.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

i am the bird posted:

I'm in the "technically well done but otherwise empty" camp.

It's funny that the end speech and local newspaper story essentially glorify wartime heroics in a movie that's mostly about the dehumanizing, frightening, and brutal aspects of war.

Can't make an anti-war war movie, I guess.

Because that's how it was done. You had a minister of war, not defense right up until 1960 odd. It wasn't until Vietnam when the public sentiment went against the "glorious battle" kind of ideal in full force.

Churchill and the newswire back then were very cautious about being critical of the war and the war effort in general. I found it to be a pretty good comparison in terms of what was experienced by people there and what the public were told.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
One thing I thought that was clever and done well was the fact you didn't see a single German the whole movie. At least not to my memory. The closest was seeing German planes, but no actual human beings. The entire thing was implied threat, almost like an old school horror movie. Somehow that may have made it more tense/terrifying. Felt like that was the ultimate dehumanising by not actually showing humans.

e: except maybe almost the very last scene where Tom Hardy is taken prisoner, but even then we aren't really shown faces

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Fat_Cow posted:

Saw the movie the sound though

That Dive bomb sound was probably the loudest poo poo I've heard in a theater

Supposedly that is pretty close to how it was in real life, the Stukas had special sirens attached that were supposed to scare the living crap out of anything on the ground.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Was the old guy handing out blankets at the end blind? Because that’s what it seemed like, but then Harry Styles says he just wasn’t looking at any of the evacuees in the eyes because they lost the battle. But the face feeling makes me think I missed something.

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.
Saw this today, did not disappoint in the slightest. Did anyone else think that Tom Hardy's timing was horrible in his first dog fight? That 109 kept banking towards his sights, and I thought "shoot!", but he didn't, he waited and missed, like...3 times?

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

Remote User posted:

Saw this today, did not disappoint in the slightest. Did anyone else think that Tom Hardy's timing was horrible in his first dog fight? That 109 kept banking towards his sights, and I thought "shoot!", but he didn't, he waited and missed, like...3 times?

Yeah, I guess they didn't teach pilots what leading meant until after the BoB. Still he got 4 kills so it worked out.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Krispy Kareem posted:

Was the old guy handing out blankets at the end blind? Because that’s what it seemed like, but then Harry Styles says he just wasn’t looking at any of the evacuees in the eyes because they lost the battle. But the face feeling makes me think I missed something.

He's listed as Blind Man in the credits, I'm guessing so.

Also that old man is John Nolan.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Krispy Kareem posted:

Harry Styles didn't realize he was blind, and main character didn't bother to correct him

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I liked it. The sound design was especially tense and depressing

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

BlindSite posted:

Because that's how it was done. You had a minister of war, not defense right up until 1960 odd. It wasn't until Vietnam when the public sentiment went against the "glorious battle" kind of ideal in full force.

Churchill and the newswire back then were very cautious about being critical of the war and the war effort in general. I found it to be a pretty good comparison in terms of what was experienced by people there and what the public were told.

Public sentiment was anti-war for a long time after WW1 given the horrible, seemingly pointless nature of that conflict. It all depends on outcomes and whether or not the glamour of war stands up to how people perceive the realities thereof.

I'm not saying the glorification is inaccurate, but I do feel like the point will be missed by a lot of viewers largely because of how the ending unfolds.

The 'heartwarming' obit for George and the end of the Churchill speech both got cheers in my theater despite the fact that they're both blatant lies meant to help us get over the brutality we just watched.

I'm sure Nolan understands the irony there but a lot of his viewers won't. It's not meant to be a critique of his work. I just don't think a movie can overcome the seemingly inherent trap of glamorizing war.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

monster on a stick posted:

Supposedly that is pretty close to how it was in real life, the Stukas had special sirens attached that were supposed to scare the living crap out of anything on the ground.
(I don't think that's a spoiler)
Yes, the Stuka had the infamous Jericho Siren installed for psychological warfare. The Nazis heavily used that sound in their own propaganda and it basically became the soundtrack to Blitzkrieg. Somehow it's also become the generic sound for a diving airplane so you've probably already heard it in a million cartoons and old movies.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

My review of the movie is that the movie is not a movie about the Battle of Dunkirk, it's a Christopher Nolan movie set in the Battle of Dunkirk.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Yeah Harry Styles doesn't realise it and the other guy doesn't tell him. I suppose he could've, but there's an animosity still there since the boat incident.

I like the brief and final uncertain shot. It's a nice way to undercut Churchill's speech.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Okay, that makes complete sense.

And gently caress the complete lack of names because now everyone is spoken of in relation to the recognizable people in each timeline. “Yeah, the guy who didn’t like Harry Styles.” “The man next to Kenneth.” “ScareCrow guy on the boat.”

I just looked up the names in IMDB and I do not recall hearing anyone actually using any of these character’s names except maybe Farrier, but that was squawked unintelligibly out of a 1930’s era wireless radio.

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe

i am the bird posted:

Public sentiment was anti-war for a long time after WW1 given the horrible, seemingly pointless nature of that conflict. It all depends on outcomes and whether or not the glamour of war stands up to how people perceive the realities thereof.

I'm not saying the glorification is inaccurate, but I do feel like the point will be missed by a lot of viewers largely because of how the ending unfolds.

The 'heartwarming' obit for George and the end of the Churchill speech both got cheers in my theater despite the fact that they're both blatant lies meant to help us get over the brutality we just watched.

I'm sure Nolan understands the irony there but a lot of his viewers won't. It's not meant to be a critique of his work. I just don't think a movie can overcome the seemingly inherent trap of glamorizing war.

I think that the movie doesn't glamorize war at all. I think it's very clear from the get go - with all these people trying to do everything they can to cheat their way's off the beach. And it's kind of cemented when the old man says "We Have a Duty" and how it plays out with Cillian Murphy's Character. Those are some of the only pieces of dialogue in this film.
"You shouldn't go to Dunkirk you should go home." "If we don't go to Dunkirk there won't be any home to go to."

It kind of continues with the french soldier stuff - and how scared and incapable of doing anything all the soldiers in the those scenes are shown to be. The old blind man kind of seals it.

The movie doesn't show any kind of heroism or war worship. I don't read the juxtaposition of Churchill's speech with the entire film's past events as spelling this out.

Sometimes you have to fight evil - you have to be willing to stand up to it. It's literally part of your duty as a human being. Despite all the horribleness involved in doing so sometimes. Even if it involves losing everything - like many of the figures in the movie end up doing. That doesn't make them any less right in their endeavor. That doesn't make war glorious.

I think that sentiment is best explained thusly:

quote:

Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battle-field of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate -- we can not consecrate -- we can not hallow -- this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us -- that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon posted:

I think that sentiment is best explained thusly:
Apropos your username, needs to be translated into a tweet ending with "Sad!" to be applicable to the modern Republican Party.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

david_a posted:

(I don't think that's a spoiler)
Yes, the Stuka had the infamous Jericho Siren installed for psychological warfare. The Nazis heavily used that sound in their own propaganda and it basically became the soundtrack to Blitzkrieg. Somehow it's also become the generic sound for a diving airplane so you've probably already heard it in a million cartoons and old movies.

For me, the Stukas in the film were more terrifying for a bit that doesn't really come across in that video - after the diving sound, when they pulled back up there was this even more excruciating high pitched shriek. I don't know whether that was added by Nolan as embellishment, or if it's just a part of the Jericho Siren that doesn't come across in recordings, but hearing that from the perspective of the men on the ground was quite effective at showing how terrifying it must have been to be the victim of a Stuka bombing.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

This is a stupid nitpick but about the old boatman's elder son. He says he died 3 weeks into the war. But the British were not engaged anywhere that early into the war. It was called the Phony War for a reason until the Germans invaded Norway. So... what happened?

The RAF took its first two casualties less than 24 hours into the war during a bombing raid on a German battleship in Kiel. A British aircraft carrier was sunk on September 17th and both the RAF and Royal Navy were regularly patrolling for and attacking U-Boats from day one.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Nolan should make a movie about the Blitz. Maybe he wants to do something else adter all the work that went into this but that's what I want to see.

Because of some bad planning we got to theater late so the first thing we saw was Dawson casting off. How much did we miss, 10 minutes?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
The only thing I can come up with with Hardy not leading the target is they figured it'd confuse the audience if he fired with the crosshairs out in front.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
The Stukas were really loving scary in IMAX.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I'm also a little confused by the suggestions that the movie glorifies war. Whether it be in the drowning of several dozen soldiers who are trapped below deck of a rescue vessel, the terrible end of "Gibson," or the PTSD of Cillian Murphy's character, the movie makes it clear that war is a nasty and brutish thing. I think "survival is enough" encapsulates this movie's attitude toward conflict. There's really no glory, except that (some of) the characters managed to make it through another day.

Casimir Radon posted:

Nolan should make a movie about the Blitz. Maybe he wants to do something else adter all the work that went into this but that's what I want to see.

Because of some bad planning we got to theater late so the first thing we saw was Dawson casting off. How much did we miss, 10 minutes?

You missed the entire opening of "The Mole," where the British private's friends are gunned down and he meets up with "Gibson," who he sees looting and burying a corpse. You might have also missed some exposition about the Royal Navy commandeering civilian vessels.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 24, 2017

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

Phanatic posted:

The only thing I can come up with with Hardy not leading the target is they figured it'd confuse the audience if he fired with the crosshairs out in front.

You don't lead a target when the aircraft is fitted with a gyro gunsight, although in this case the first one didn't enter testing until 1941 so this is a historical inaccuracy at worst. Seeing an Allied 1945 pilot leading his target is far more offensive from an inaccuracy standpoint.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

duckmaster posted:

You don't lead a target when the aircraft is fitted with a gyro gunsight, although in this case the first one didn't enter testing until 1941 so this is a historical inaccuracy at worst. Seeing an Allied 1945 pilot leading his target is far more offensive from an inaccuracy standpoint.

What makes you think Hardy's spit had a gyro gunsight.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Saw this in Melbourne on the IMAX 4K Laser presentation and it was pretty loving awesome. Count me as a fan. The whole experience was relentless.

One thing re: the ending What's the deal with Hardy landing the plane in enemy territory? Unless I missed something, it seems to make no sense on either a practical or thematic level. Why not just turn around again and land on the allied beach? Why not just eject over the allied beach?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Looten Plunder posted:

Saw this in Melbourne on the IMAX 4K Laser presentation and it was pretty loving awesome. Count me as a fan. The whole experience was relentless.

One thing re: the ending What's the deal with Hardy landing the plane in enemy territory? Unless I missed something, it seems to make no sense on either a practical or thematic level. Why not just turn around again and land on the allied beach? Why not just eject over the allied beach?
I think he was too low to bail out or turn around. Parachutes need a certain height to work and a turn would probably have bled way too much speed/height. Also, there is no eject; you have to climb out and jump, during which the plane will probably plummet. I'm not actually sure how realistic that amount of gliding is for a Spitfire, anyway.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Looten Plunder posted:

No one ejected back then. You opened your canopy, climbed out, and jumped. And there’s no way he could’ve pulled his chute flying that low.

Also, he took out that last plane while in glider mode and probably didn’t have enough altitude to do a 180. Landing was delayed further by his landing gear screwing up.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Fair enough. That ejecting fact is interesting, didn't think about that. It reminds me of one of my favourite sound effects in the movie, the rattling sound of the cockpit window on during climbs/dogfights.

I know I'm using the wrong terminology, but what is the turning circle on a spitfire if you just turn using the YAW and not actually rotating the plane to turn around?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I read something yesterday that said Spitfires have been known to glide for 15 miles so that's not too unrealistic. Shooting down a Stuka while gliding is pushing things a but though.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Phi230 posted:

What makes you think Hardy's spit had a gyro gunsight.

I'm no expert but when they showed the reticule it was moving around in a way that looked like it would have been on some kind of stabilization system i.e. a gyro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Cacator posted:

I'm no expert but when they showed the reticule it was moving around in a way that looked like it would have been on some kind of stabilization system i.e. a gyro.
I thought it was just a reflector sight.

• Locked thread