Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006
You remember Henry the 5th? There's that scoundrel character, Pistol, who has a soliloquy:

Of a malady of France,
And there my rendezvous is quite cut off.
Old I do wax, and from my weary limbs
Honor is cudgeled. Well, bawd I’ll turn,
And something lean to cutpurse of quick hand.
To England will I steal, and there I’ll steal.
And patches will I get unto these cudgeled scars,
And swear I got them in the Gallia wars.

And then he deserts and goes back to England.

I cannot fathom why Christopher Nolan decided to make a movie about a small group of guys like Pistol. The fact that these guys have apparently abandoned their units and aren't reporting to any CO's mean they are effectively deserters. The amazing thing about Dunkirk was that it must have actually been a pretty orderly evacuation with the rank and file maintaining some level of discipline. I have no idea why Nolan decided to focus the movie on a group of undisciplined assholes who tried to cut in line and/or murder each other to get on a boat out of there. I'm also not sure if the cutesy nonlinear narrative really added anything to the story, other than potential for confusion and a murky sense of distance and time. What it did to was take time away from character dialogue that could have potentially injected a little more humanity and interest into the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

Pander posted:

The main character's entire unit went down, he was barely past teenage years, and he had some form of ptsd. He just wanted to live, didn't care about winning the war or good order and discipline and stiff upper lip and all that poo poo. His friend is a French man of uncertain background. The only verified lovely deserters are the guys in the boat, and who knows their story.

There's not a very exciting movie here if you stick with one guy just sitting in a queue on the beach for a week straight waiting for his eventual ride out without several life or death escapes.

The people we follow are tangential to just showing a kinda crazy week in war. I don't think their flawed decision-making or lack of dialogue was a bad thing. This wasn't trying to be a melodrama like every bit of Saving Private Ryan past the beach. It didn't need drama.

And the nonlinear time scales were the only reasonable way to let us focus on a single enthralling dogfight and sortie without the pace being wonky. Integrating the three storylines together was a neat quirk, but probably not necessary I agree.

I've never been in war so I don't know jack, but I've read a pretty decent amount on WW2. Shell shocked/PTSD soldiers don't actively conspire and avoid the chain of command. Our main characters, rather than try to find a commanding officer and be told where to report to, took the initiative and attempted to fraudulently self-evacuate by impersonating stretcher bearers, and then dunking themselves in the water to make like they were survivors from the sunken hospital ship. PTSD/shell shocked guys would have just gone catatonic and sat down on the beach. These guys actively conspired and willfully avoided the chain of command, thus the only real indication of their humanity we have to go on is that they are selfish scoundrels. I'm saying the true story of Dunkirk must have been the incredible general adhesion to discipline. 300,000 people don't get off a beach in nine days without a pretty good level of discipline and organization. But with Nolan's portrayal you might come away with thinking it was a kill-or-be-killed madhouse.

• Locked thread