Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I'm going to see it but as an insufferable armchair general I can't help but be concerned by how the trailers seem to be presenting the whole battle. Like, the best way I can describe it is that it just seems so empty. This was the largest military evacuation of all time with large scale battles on both sea and air. And yet it seems from the trailers that there's 4 planes in the sky, 5 boats in the water, and like a couple hundred men on the beach. The Dunkirk scene in Atonement was far more "epic" than this. Maybe it's because Nolan wanted to use as little CGI as possible but everything seems to be lacking.

But maybe thats just in the trailers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I don't need gore at all. One of my favorite movies of all time, The Longest Day, didn't have an ounce of blood. It didn't need it because it had scale. That movie was, for the lack of a better term, epic. The evacuation of Dunkirk was essentially a reverse D-Day so it concerns me that a movie made in the 60s seems to have presented it much better than this.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Thin Red Line was gory as gently caress though.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Sometimes you just want to enjoy 2 hours watching Nazis get loving owned and there's nothing wrong with that.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

BluesShaman posted:

LOL yes, the nazis got owned at Dunkirk. GJ GB

I'm talking about as a way to enjoy war movies in general dip poo poo.

And the Nazis did end up getting owned at Dunkirk in the long term.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Pissflaps posted:

I have yet to see this movie but if you come out of it thinking that the Dunkirk evacuation was a 'defeat' then there is something badly wrong with how the story is told.

The movie plainly presented it as a victory at the end.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

This is a stupid nitpick but about the old boatman's elder son. He says he died 3 weeks into the war. But the British were not engaged anywhere that early into the war. It was called the Phony War for a reason until the Germans invaded Norway. So... what happened?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

General Dog posted:

Wouldn't he likely count the beginning of British involvement as the beginning of the war?

The British were involved from Day 2, they started shipping troops across the Channel almost immediately. The RAF started dropping leaflets over German cities. No combat though.

• Locked thread