Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Seeing this tomorrow (there were advanced screenings tonight but missed out) but not at Imax because it is booked out for weeks (also expensive) which is a pity because we have the worlds largest screen here (while Sydney imax has been demolished) and they're showing both 70mm and laser projection sessions.

As for the structure of the movie, it is told in three phases which intercut between eachother showing some of the same events from different angles. I heard it was basically set up as focusing on the war/battle as: 1 week on the ground, 1 day on the sea, 1 hour in the air

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
It was a good movie, I don't think it will do well in America though, once word gets out to the public of what it actually is versus what all the actors have been selling it as on late night talk shows. Hell, it might need to be subtitled for an American release.

I saw it at a new cinema, biggest theater there, dolby atmos and laser projection. It looked and sounded great, although I think the soundtrack went overboard in a few scenes, especially the air stuff where it was far too loud when they could have just used raw engine sounds which would have been magnificent, instead the roaring merlin engines are only properly heard a few times in the movie either fading out in moments of concentration for the two pilots or being drowned out by the soundtrack, not the best decision to do that I don't think especially since they filmed with the real things. Even a lack of smoke pouring out of the engines as the throttle was opened up which is a bit of a shame, while beautiful it looked a bit fake in flight for some shots. However, the machineguns in the dogfights sounded glorious and have every a few surprises when a shot was finally lined up and it turns out you were watching gun-camera-like footage of the combat.

I know it is a Nolan film and it jumps around a lot and has a few different perspectives but I don't think the general public outside of history buffs and outside of the UK where Dunkirk is known about will enjoy the 'setting' for this too much. I think the text at the beginning should have been twice as long to set up the premise and at the end mention that the small boats, numbering in the hundreds made multiple trips across the English Channel, they didn't just go there once.
The beginning is the biggest sorepoint for this. "Mole. 1 week" Most people have no idea what a mole is, they don't know it is like a pier; should probably have said "Beach 1 week" instead. "Air. 1 hour" is a bit more forgiving but it should have said something else... "Fuel/airtime for mission above France: 1 hour" or something. Also getting the point across that the French and some of the English were holding back the Germans outside the city would have been a bit clearer instead of two or three mentions of the perimeter and why they won't risk tanks.

A layman would think Dunkirk involved 3 RAF aircraft ~6 german aircraft, 3 minesweepers and 15-20 small ships with around 200 people on a pier and 1000 people on a beach.

I get where Nolan was coming from trying to do things in camera, but a little bit of CGI to pad out the beaches in a few shots instead of using cardboard cutouts would have made this seem a bit more fitting.

DC Murderverse posted:

Harry Styles was very good at playing the character of "selfish twat"
Had 5 teenage girls behind me, I think they were disappointed given you only see him up close for about five minutes and he says about four things. They also seemed confused a few times when it cut between day and night of the two separate ships sinking, thinking it was the same thing.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jul 21, 2017

• Locked thread