Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
:nolan::nolan::nolan::nolan::nolan::nolan::nolan::nolan::nolan::nolan:

For all of us who've been pining for a war movie not bogged down by all those pesky hu-mans, Christopher Nolan is back with a brand new jam- Dunkirk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-eMt3SrfFU

Facts about the film:

-A good score on Rotten Tomatoes

-A Hans Zimmer, probably much the same but also different! Lots of tic-tocs replace bwom-bwoms, but no Ke$has to be found in this collection of onscreen earworms!

-It's about Englishmen, but it's in France, what gives?

-Features the acting debut of teen heartthrob Harry Stiles, formerly of Christian boy-band Plus One.

Discuss with your Family:

-Many Germans and English die bravely in the film. What to make of a conflict where it seems both sides could be right?

-Why is swimming without proper supervision a bad idea?

-What is your favorite kind of tank?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

RedSpider posted:

I, for one, cannot wait to see this PG-13 war film about the deadliest war in human history.

Every war movie doesn't have to be Saving Private Ryan.

Looten Plunder posted:

I hope it's really effective so I can rebut those idiots that hail Hacksaw Ridge as amazing cause it's a war film that's "not afraid to show it like it really is" and ignore the fact that the movie is unnecessarily revelling in the violence to the detriment of the themes of the film.

Hacksaw Ridge owns though

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

RedSpider posted:

An R rating allows the film to aesthetically depict the senseless violence of war.

That doesn't have to be the point of every war movie though.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Super Fan posted:

I suppose the rebuttal to this dopey nonsense is pointing out that Hacksaw Ridge and Saving Private Ryan convey what ACTUALLY happened on the battlefield. You can try to paint this as me wanting to live out some WWII fantasy or playing out a video game scenario but your alternative is this loving defanged family friendly poo poo that belongs in the 1950's. A loving bloodless war movie :lol:

I'm sorry that the accurate portrayal of war offends your delicate sensibilities but cinema has moved on.

Holy gently caress jewmanji, there's...blood and violence in these scenes! Did you pass out when you watched them?!?

When an artillery shell hits a man and leaves a crater where he was before, I really also need to see a couple of stray limbs and a touch of red mist to hammer home that yes, this is a bad thing that's happening.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Reminded me a bit of Paul Greengrass's work, especially United 93 or Sunday Bloody Sunday. A bit cold to the touch, but goddam do you have to admire the craftmanship.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I will say that I was kind of surprised that there wasn't really much payoff to the film's structure, i.e., the different timelines. Everything flows together naturally and coherently, but there's never a moment like you have in Inception where everything reaches a point of harmony so great that you're like, "oh this whole thing was plotted out to get us to exactly this point." Nor is there a really moment where he uses the timelines to pull the rug out from under us, which I was also kind of expecting.

It feels kind of like 100 minutes of edging with no release. Which still isn't a bad time at the movies, mind you.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

drunkill posted:

The beginning is the biggest sorepoint for this. "Mole. 1 week" Most people have no idea what a mole is, they don't know it is like a pier; should probably have said "Beach 1 week" instead.

"Mole" has double meaning that's made pretty clear by the timing of the title card coming up.

*edited for spoilers*

General Dog fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 21, 2017

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Philosopher King posted:

Dunkirk was great but there is one scene i had a question about, when they are trying to board an overcrowded paddle boat and one of the captains tells them to sit tight and they'd come back for them, is that the same guy who was shell shocked?

Yes

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

pigdog posted:

Would it have killed the movie, titled "Dunkirk", to explain the viewers not intimately familiar with the Western front, what the heck was the evacuation even all about? Why did it happen. Why do they have to leave. Why do they have so little support. What was the reasoning in the upper echelons.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

This movie is Nolan seeing how much fat he can possibly cut. It's the plane that's running out of gas, he's thrown out all the seats, the parachute, the control knobs, everything. It's Tom Hardy's Spitfire just gliding over the beach. It's a really cool experiment, even if it doesn't totally work. Hopefully we might look back at this as an inflection point in his career that led on to some really great stuff, sort of like PT Anderson before and after Punch Drunk Love.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

This is a stupid nitpick but about the old boatman's elder son. He says he died 3 weeks into the war. But the British were not engaged anywhere that early into the war. It was called the Phony War for a reason until the Germans invaded Norway. So... what happened?

Wouldn't he likely count the beginning of British involvement as the beginning of the war?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Krispy Kareem posted:

Was the old guy handing out blankets at the end blind? Because that’s what it seemed like, but then Harry Styles says he just wasn’t looking at any of the evacuees in the eyes because they lost the battle. But the face feeling makes me think I missed something.

Harry Styles didn't realize he was blind, and main character didn't bother to correct him

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Angepain posted:

I mean I'm against wild fan theories that go outside the text and all but I have to admit in my own personal headcanon the guy probably did do a poo at some point during the week

He probably did it when his ship got torpedoed while he was trying to eat some toast.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Krispy Kareem posted:

Most stuff I’ve read said losing the army at Dunkirk wouldn’t have made much of a difference. There’s even theories that Hitler let the army get away, knowing a defeat that bad could make England unwilling to negotiate.

There’s a thin line between hurting your enemy so hard they give up (Japan) and hurting them so hard they never give up (Russia).

I think that line is basically where they run out of dudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Cacator posted:

As Norm MacDonald would say, he was a real jerk.

Actually Norm MacDonald said the first thing too

• Locked thread