Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Saw it today, good stuff. My favorite segment was the Moonstone civilian rescue boat. I didn't know about the time shift until late in the movie when it became clear. At the start when they showed the planes (one hour) and the boat (one day) I thought that referenced how long it took that mode of transport to cross the Channel.

I wish we would have gotten more scenes with the French soldiers. WWII British and Germans are common in film, and it would have been neat to see then doing more. I wouldn't have minded the entire land perspective to be a French soldier, with maybe some scenes from the Battle of France.

Dang now that I think about it, having the first hour of this movie be the Battle of France would have been super. Maginot Line, Ardennes Forest, French planes and tanks in action, Paris being captured (hmm guess that was post Dunkirk). It would also have helped put the film into context for those who don't know a lot of history.

Highlights:
-Tensest part was the rescue ship being torpedoed. I didn't see that coming, and it was freaky to see the ship go from jam and tea to under the sea.
-The aerial flights were great and well shot.
-It didn't drag and had good pacing.

Quibbles:
-Weakest part was the British soldier wandering around. It was confusing when he and the Highlanders were on the boat, they were hard to tell apart and I wasn't sure what their plan was.
-The beach did seem underpopulated. Why not CGI in vast hordes of soldiers waiting for a few long shots?

Overall I liked it, but I think Their Finest was a more enjoyable Dunkirk film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread