Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Jewmanji posted:

So then We Were Soldiers is better than The Thin Red Line?

You have this child-like notion that the gorier the film is, the more "realistic" it is, and therefore the more "immersive" it is. As though watching the D-Day landing in Saving Private Ryan is the absolute apotheosis of war cinema because you somehow "get it" by seeing people blown to bits. It's facile. You don't understand war because you saw a gorey movie. And a war movie that has no blood in it whatsoever has the exact same capacity to depict countless aspects of war (including the horrors of it) than a movie like Hacksaw Ridge.

Is a scene that explicitly depicts sexual violence more effective at communicating the nightmare of rape than a scene that chooses to depict it in a less literal way?

I also prefer toothless sanitized portrayals of war. War films should be as inoffensive as possible to reach the largest markets.

I hope Dunkirk shows the Brits and Germans shooting eachother with Super Soakers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Jewmanji posted:

Are there any criteria for what makes a war movie good other than "realistic" portrayals of violence (whatever that means)? The most realistic war movie would be a first person handheld account of the D-Day landings but right when the door on the Higgins boat comes down the movie cuts to black and credits roll. So realistic!

And yet here we are, with a PG-13 war film that critics are raving about. Sorry that it won't cater to your weird violence fetish. You can skip Dunkirk and watch Hacksaw Ridge instead and see that awesome totally badass GI pick up that quadruple amputee corpse and use it as a human shield as he charges the Japanese soldiers. That really made me feel like I knew what it was like to live through that. Hoorah!

I suppose the rebuttal to this dopey nonsense is pointing out that Hacksaw Ridge and Saving Private Ryan convey what ACTUALLY happened on the battlefield. You can try to paint this as me wanting to live out some WWII fantasy or playing out a video game scenario but your alternative is this loving defanged family friendly poo poo that belongs in the 1950's. A loving bloodless war movie :lol:

I'm sorry that the accurate portrayal of war offends your delicate sensibilities but cinema has moved on.

Holy gently caress jewmanji, there's...blood and violence in these scenes! Did you pass out when you watched them?!?

Super Fan fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 21, 2017

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

bewbies posted:

For whatever it's worth (likely not much) I'm a combat vet a few times over and I think this movie, along with Jarhead, are the only films I've ever seen that feel anything like the real thing.

Eh, Jarhead was about the mundanity of an impersonal and lopsided war.

• Locked thread