Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

It was one of the most intense movies I've seen in theaters in a long time. As other people have said, most of the "action" takes place off screen but the entire movie is filled with a sense of danger and foreboding. The constant ticking in the soundtrack and the loudness of every gunshot kept me on edge. The target practice scene, in particular, had me holding my breath.

I did have some difficulty hearing some of the dialogue over all the other sound in the movie. I'm not sure if that was a sound mixing issue or an accent issue, but I wish the film had subtitles.

Also, the toast and jam looked absolutely delicious.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I'm also a little confused by the suggestions that the movie glorifies war. Whether it be in the drowning of several dozen soldiers who are trapped below deck of a rescue vessel, the terrible end of "Gibson," or the PTSD of Cillian Murphy's character, the movie makes it clear that war is a nasty and brutish thing. I think "survival is enough" encapsulates this movie's attitude toward conflict. There's really no glory, except that (some of) the characters managed to make it through another day.

Casimir Radon posted:

Nolan should make a movie about the Blitz. Maybe he wants to do something else adter all the work that went into this but that's what I want to see.

Because of some bad planning we got to theater late so the first thing we saw was Dawson casting off. How much did we miss, 10 minutes?

You missed the entire opening of "The Mole," where the British private's friends are gunned down and he meets up with "Gibson," who he sees looting and burying a corpse. You might have also missed some exposition about the Royal Navy commandeering civilian vessels.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 24, 2017

• Locked thread