Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Saw it in the best IMAX theater in the area with a phenomenal sound system and it was so loud that I felt like I had been to a rock concert. While the sound design is fantastic, I couldn't help but think that if the incredibly tense to the point of overkill musical score was removed, you would feel almost no tension at all, as I felt very detached from most of it.

It really is an experience more than a movie, the type of thing IMAX theaters are made for. I'm going to guess that no other movie has achieved the feel of actually being there as well as this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
They should have put Rainbow Dash in it to help us connect with what the characters were going through

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

1stGear posted:

Then you hugely missed out and it makes me worry about this movie's fate after video release. Saw this in IMAX Digital and the visuals and sound were overwhelming. Every gunshot was an auditory assault, every dive bombing terrifying. Every shot felt enormous, though I'll agree that I had a hard time believing 400,000 men were on that beach.

As I mentioned previously I saw it in the best possible IMAX theater and this was my experience as well. I've never heard more intense and impressively mixed sound in a movie, ever. Every shot was so deafening that just anticipating gunfire had me on edge. especially during the "target practice" scene

This is an IMAX experience if there ever was one.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

bobfather posted:

The score was ruinous. Loudly overdone, overused, and always pushing, even through the least interesting scenes of the movie. I understand it was meant to convey tension, but there were only a handful of moments that the score wasn't pushing, pressing, ticking ever harder and faster. I felt tense during scenes that would have entirely lacked tension without the score, and I was tired out from constant tension during scenes that were (cinematically) full of tension.

*sustained note crescendoing for 10 minutes straight*
Glad I wasn't the only one who thought this. It was the most un-earned extreme tension ever. Yet they did a great job with keeping you on edge with random gunfire. The more I think about this movie the more torn I am. I both equally think it's a great spectacle of filmmaking and hate it.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The lack of characterization doesn't bother me since they only exist to have a face to recognize for each situation. But I do agree that the execution of the three timelines and making it coherent as to how they line up was poorly executed. I'm not gonna lie, it didn't even dawn on me that the timelines were not simultaneous until nightfall in The Mole and even then it felt like that story was two days, not a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

an adult beverage posted:

They literally spell it out that the timelines are not simultaneous.

I know... I honestly have no idea why it didn't dawn on me what the captions at the beginning meant.

• Locked thread