Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

bewbies posted:

For whatever it's worth (likely not much) I'm a combat vet a few times over and I think this movie, along with Jarhead, are the only films I've ever seen that feel anything like the real thing.

I'm not a vet but I'd agree there's something definitely harrowing about Dunkirk, showing how much is out of an individual's hands and the main goal is to live to fight another day when the odds are more in your favor. My stomach was getting upset from the tension throughout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Pissflaps posted:

I have yet to see this movie but if you come out of it thinking that the Dunkirk evacuation was a 'defeat' then there is something badly wrong with how the story is told.

Easy there mate, it was just a defeat in the sense that they were forced to evacuate because they weren't ready for war in the first place.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Arcsquad12 posted:

It seems like the movie missed the mark on some of the "emotional" scenes, which stick out because they cut into the tension and came across cheesy. The arrival of the small boats is this big triumphant fanfare that immediately smash cuts back to "of gently caress of gently caress oh gently caress"

I think that was on purpose

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

CRINDY posted:

The most affecting part of the movie, for me, was the horrific deaths that occurred just off-screen we only know about through sound design. Specifically, I got really hosed up and panicky when the first ship got torpedoed against the docks after Main Soldier and Harry Styles snuck to the rafters. You could just barely hear people yelling and screaming, a crunch, and a sudden absence of sound. Same thing happened when the destroyer capsized and trapped some soldiers trying to escape, you hear them suddenly realize what they're up against, then... nothing.

It did a great job showing the randomness of war brutality. A split second, a single action, one foot of space marks the difference between one man dying over another. I had some qualms with what the timeline wackiness does to the overall emotional arc - it leans on the soundtrack really hard to drive tension and emotion - but it was a great way to show how horrific things were.

Still pissed that Shivering Solider got off scott-free. I get it, but man, gently caress that dude.

By shivering soldier do you mean the first guy the little boat picked up? That's Cillian Murphy, Nolans muse. He was in another scene too. Also, it's just the start of the war, he's not safe yet.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

it shriveled up posted:

There's a showing near me at a omnimax. I've never seen a movie in one of those. Would it be recommended? It'll be either that or a 70mm showing somewhere else.

Omnimax is awesome, it's better than 3d and doesnt need glasses.
Not sure how it'd work with a normal movie though, but check out some nature documentary in it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Would 300k less mouths to feed have impacted england much? Dis they have plenty of food to go around while waiting to re-invade france?

• Locked thread